How long should a paint job last?

Theo

Featured Posts

Paint on the cabin sides on ours is original from 1998, so 23 years old, sprayed over some sort of epoxy base. No areas of rust other than the odd blister by the roof drains which we've touched up, and the odd tunnel scrape which I did earlier this year.  Being cream, there's no deep pigments to fade out, although it was very very chalky when we bought the boat and I thought it was going to need painting, but a lot of very hard work with Farecla last year brought it up and a decent wax (not silicone based) once last year and once this year and it's still holding up really well.

The pictures above look like they've been painted by someone with a wallpaper brush or a broom. In fact I thought I was looking at the non-slip on the roof at first.

Thanks all.  This all confirms what we know is the case.  They have done a really rubbish job!  Now we need to decide the next steps...

Nick

15 hours ago, Theo said:

Reply to Mr Cuthound: Would you be willing to say how much you paid and who did the work?

N

Norbury Wharf at £130 per foot plus £500 for signwriting.Not a bad paint job but brushlines more visible than the original paintwork.

Here is a photo of the finished article from the "Photos of my boat section".

Edited by cuthound
To add link to photo.

On 08/09/2021 at 17:20, Tony Brooks said:

All I can say is either we are not being told the whole story or it was a very cheap job. I did better than that on the towpath, at least I rubbed it down to a smooth finish and dealt with the rust before repainting. This type of thing is why  I am convinced DIY is the best way for canal boaters.

I wholeheartedly agree.  We did it oursleves the last time and would have saved ourselves a lot of trouble if we had done the same again.

Theo - that "paint job" is appalling .... have they never heard of "preparation is everything"?

I too am not fond of super-glossy smooth, but I would have expected better than that.

The last time I prepped a boat for painting cordless sanders didn't exist so was quite a lot of muscle work (and copious sandpaper) .. but now? A dry couple of days on the cut ..... 

Completely unacceptable.  With the mapping around to old damaged paint I would doubt that there is any undercoat alt all under that poorly applied finish/

I would sue for a total refund   - not fit and suitable for purpose--  Obviously not stripped to anywhere near metal.