Leaking hose advice

Leemc

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I was welcomed with a blue coolant sea in engine bilge this morning. The leak is a split in hose from side of calorifier to left side of engine.

Can I just undo clips and simply replace or do I have to do anything else? Don't want to cause any other issues.

cheers ( as always)

Lee

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

If the hose in the top picture is the one leaking blue liquid, then you are poisoning yourselves. That one is on the PRV that only deals with domestic water. I suspect the hose you identify on the engine is the horizontal one near your finger - the calorifier coil connection.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If the hose in the top picture is the one leaking blue liquid, then you are poisoning yourselves. That one is on the PRV that only deals with domestic water. I suspect the hose you identify on the engine is the horizontal one near your finger - the calorifier coil connection.

Sure you're right. Definitely don't have blue water from taps.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Replace hose, top op antifreeze and water @ 25% to 30%, bleed off any air at the high spots. Job done.

Cheers. Will have a go but not sure how to bleed off any air at high spots though😰

Tangential point. I had a very slow leak on one of my engine hoses recently. It was fine when cold, I pumped the pressure tested up to 15 psi and it stayed there for hours.

But when it heated up the hose leaked a little bit (15ml a day sort of amount, really annoying). I've now replaced it (and added some lagging to stop it rubbing against the exhaust manifold!). 

dsc_3235.jpg?w=1024

1 hour ago, Leemc said:

Sorry, that finger is just me identying the leaking one. Leak is halfway between two clips

IMG_2753.jpg

Same applies, hose is suffering from vibration against engine. Either wrap a protector around it at that location, or(if not enough space), extend the larger hose protector to surround both hoses.