Environmentally Friendly Shampoo

jbhog

Featured Posts

This might not seem the most important topic, but in the matter of domestic harmony during our first canal holiday it could be vital.

My darling wife is very picky about the product she uses in her hair, normally it has to be 'John Frieda shampoo & conditioner'. Can anyone suggest a good environmentally friendly substitute to use on the canal.

Many thanks

John 

2 hours ago, jbhog said:

This might not seem the most important topic, but in the matter of domestic harmony during our first canal holiday it could be vital.

My darling wife is very picky about the product she uses in her hair, normally it has to be 'John Frieda shampoo & conditioner'. Can anyone suggest a good environmentally friendly substitute to use on the canal.

Many thanks

John 

A fellow moorer uses Head and Shoulders to bath his little dog.

He looks very smart and smells nice afterwards. (The dog)

Which aspect of environmentally friendly is a concern?

• The single use plastic bottle it comes in?
  • The prospect of fish in the canal developing a non standard number of heads, but having nice soft shiny scales?
  • The bunker oil burnt by the ship carrying the container of returnable glass bottled all organic shampoo made from kakapo poo from New Zealand by hippies living in yurts?
  • The bubbles on the surface of the canal?
  • That the shampoo might be made from dolphin blubber?

Edit: @Tony Brooks beat me to it!

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

• The prospect of fish in the canal developing a non standard number of heads, but having nice soft shiny scales?
  • The bunker oil burnt by the ship carrying the container of returnable glass bottled all organic shampoo made from kakapo poo from New Zealand by hippies living in yurts?
  • The bubbles on the surface of the canal?
  • That the shampoo might be made from dolphin blubber?

Edit: @Tony Brooks beat me to it!

Never mind all that. I'm curious why the OP seems to have jumped to the conclusion that his wife's preferred product 'John Frieda shampoo & conditioner', is necessarily environmentally UNfriendly, when it might be on really good terms and best mates with the environment.

Also vaguely taken aback that even if it isn't 'environmentally friendly', pouring it into the public drainage system is ok but not into a canal. 

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

Perhaps one solution would simply be to cease to wash for the duration of the trip. While this is by no means universal practice amongst boaters, observation suggests that it is not uncommon.

Not using shampoo at all is an option. Some claim it leads to healthier hair. Takes a while to get to that point and goes through a rather yuck phase for a while, so you'd need to stick at it if you wanted to try it.

https://www.nopoomethod.com/

58 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Which aspect of single use plastic bottles is of environmental concern?

* The use of petrochemicals which might otherwise go to other production industries or perhaps stay in the ground.

* The environmental benefits of a lightweight packaging item which has far less environmental impacts than heavier and more energy intensive alternatives such as glass.

* The end of life scenarios for single use plastic bottles including landfill, recycling, or incineration with energy recovery.

* The risk that the OP's wife might chuck the bottle into the river or canal after use and add to the water borne plastics issue.

9 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Which aspect of single use plastic bottles is of environmental concern?

* The use of petrochemicals which might otherwise go to other production industries or perhaps stay in the ground.

* The environmental benefits of a lightweight packaging item which has far less environmental impacts than heavier and more energy intensive alternatives such as glass.

* The end of life scenarios for single use plastic bottles including landfill, recycling, or incineration with energy recovery.

* The risk that the OP's wife might chuck the bottle into the river or canal after use and add to the water borne plastics issue.

You are right. It is a very complicated set of issues. Not helped when a companies marketing people, or the sponsors of some research are wanting a particular answer.

16 hours ago, jbhog said:

Many thanks

John 

For the sake of domestic harmony, speaking from experience, DO NOT interfere with with a ladies hair arrangements.  Other than to say "That looks nice"

Bod

• Greenie 2

These are extremely good, and most obvious environmental gain is the lack of waste plastic. Much more economical than pouring out an unmeasured amount of liquid (including some that invariably slides off your hand into the sink), this can only be a good thing. You only need to look at the thick rafts of duck weed that accompany areas with large collections of liveaboard craft to see the effect of high levels of detergent effluent. 

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/product-reviews/fashion-and-beauty/g31973674/best-shampoo-bars/

On 08/09/2021 at 07:46, Tony Brooks said:

And on what grounds do you believe her shampoo is not environmentally friendly? Just because some of the contents are in gobbledegook does not mean they are damaging to the environment. Just because something may emblazon "plant based" on a big green banner does not mean it is environmentally friendly. There is an awful lot of greenwash about, and there is legislation limiting the phosphates in such things.

Indeed. On my first shareboat one of the co-owners was an industrial chemist, who when one owner wanted everyone to use "environmentally friendly" products on board quickly showed how the vast majority of commercially available cleaning and  personal care products are just environmentally friendly as those claiming to be especially so.

Beware the greenwash.

On 08/09/2021 at 10:44, Bod said:

For the sake of domestic harmony, speaking from experience, DO NOT interfere with with a ladies hair arrangements.  Other than to say "That looks nice"

Bod

On 09/09/2021 at 19:47, tree monkey said:

You wash your hair?

Actually, you have hair?

Spose I should try to take some notice 

3 hours ago, BlueStringPudding said:

deceased 🤔😉

Which goes to show that ignoring @Bod's advice may be fatal ...

• Greenie 1

On 08/09/2021 at 08:53, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Not using shampoo at all is an option. Some claim it leads to healthier hair. Takes a while to get to that point and goes through a rather yuck phase for a while, so you'd need to stick at it if you wanted to try it.

https://www.nopoomethod.com/

I've stopped washing my hair with shampoo entirely, and I can confirm that it feels far better for it after a short initial period of being very greasy. I've always suffered from dandruff, and that has also improved massively. What's more interesting is that, despite having always had healthy/soft/nice hair, I washed it once with shampoo once well established in this routine (to remove some oily boat maintenance awfulness), and it turned awful and dry for a few days.

I firmly believe that the body is best at regulating these sorts of things on its own, if you give it a chance.