Effective battery discharge rate

David HK

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, David HK said:

So, does the last post actually mean anything to 99.999% of people ? Looks a bit like ego preening. 

For me, Just going to load up a stack of batteries and see if I need more .  The Paracetomol effect ( because electrical always gives me a migrane)  or any other sciencey stuff is irrelevant to what I need. I just wanted to make sure I understood what I was reading on the label. No PhD involved.

If you are not interested in the topic and it gives you a migraine, why read it and why go to the trouble of typing a response to the post! Is it just attention seeking? I suspect so. Just because you are ignorant of the issues doesn’t mean that everyone else has to be.

To be fair, far too many people initially except stuff about lead acid batteries to have a definitive answer with no ifs and buts, but reality is not like that. If they persevere, some get their head around it and realise that for practical purposes we work by generalisations and averages. Maybe the OP thought he could get a  straightforward, simple answer and finds it hard to accept there is not one.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

To be fair, far too many people initially except stuff about lead acid batteries to have a definitive answer with no ifs and buts, but reality is not like that. If they persevere, some get their head around it and realise that for practical purposes we work by generalisations and averages. Maybe the OP thought he could get a  straightforward, simple answer and finds it hard to accept there is not one.

a fair few of us are happy to work with rough generalisations and when electrical questions are asked it's really common for those who love this stuff jump in and get very geeky, often well before the answer is offered in a none geeky way.

The forum is a fantastic resource but sometimes the debates get very involved losing the actual question in minutiae 

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

a fair few of us are happy to work with rough generalisations and when electrical questions are asked it's really common for those who love this stuff jump in and get very geeky, often well before the answer is offered in a none geeky way.

The forum is a fantastic resource but sometimes the debates get very involved losing the actual question in minutiae 

This may be true in some cases, but not in the case of this thread. The OP’s question was fully answered early on in the thread - post 6 to be precise. After that in my opinion it is fair game for the thread to expand a little and maybe become more “geeky” as you put it, or more technical and interesting as I would put it. Anyone including the OP is under no obligation to continue reading, and yet some people are grossly offended, outraged and feel victimised when something is said that is beyond their intelligence or interest. They find it necessary to point out the unfairness of not targeting every conversation to the lowest common denominator and make a virtue out of their lack of knowledge. Apparently it is against their human rights.
Tough shit, I say.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

This may be true in some cases, but not in the case of this thread. The OP’s question was fully answered early on in the thread - post 6 to be precise. After that in my opinion it is fair game for the thread to expand a little and maybe become more “geeky” as you put it, or more technical and interesting as I would put it. Anyone including the OP is under no obligation to continue reading, and yet some people are grossly offended, outraged and feel victimised when something is said that is beyond their intelligence or interest. They find it necessary to point out the unfairness of not targeting every conversation to the lowest common denominator and make a virtue out of their lack of knowledge. Apparently it is against their human rights.
Tough shit, I say.

I consider geeky a complement tbh.

In general I agree with you but sometimes it can be difficult from a none technical point of view to actually understand the question has been answered, it really depends on the level of understanding of the subject.

I'm not complaining here, I'm just pointing out that occasionally, at least for some, it can be overwhelming when all they want is a bit of an ABC guide, electrical threads are really prone to do this.

I've learned loads from these threads by some sort of osmosis I think but it's still witchcraft to me

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Tough shit, I say.

I think the reason for this is some posters, especially new posters, seem to consider they 'own' the thread they started and have some sort of right to dictate the path of that thread. It is a misunderstanding, but tends to explain why some feel entitled to start complaining when 'their' thread meanders off at a tangent. 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think the reason for this is some posters, especially new posters, seem to consider they 'own' the thread they started and have some sort of right to dictate the path of that thread. It is a misunderstanding, but tends to explain why some feel entitled to start complaining when 'their' thread meanders off at a tangent. 

There's definitely a bit of that involved, it takes a while to understand the dynamics of the forum, I've been here for ever and still don't have a clue