Gas fix

MrBoater2021

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Is the nut spanner-tight? Remember it's a left hand thread.

Otherwise may be dirt in the metal-to-metal connection. Take apart, clean and reassemble.

Thanks mate. It’s very tight. The leak is coming from the other side of the screw. 

E5323C51-CD0E-4E85-98E8-BBE221E81EC8.jpeg

Edited by MrBoater2021

59 minutes ago, MrBoater2021 said:

Thanks mate. It’s very tight. The leak is coming from the other side of the screw. 

E5323C51-CD0E-4E85-98E8-BBE221E81EC8.jpeg

Undo it, make sure that there is no dirt anywhere on the faces that meet up - either on the regulator or in the valve head itself.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Failing that, replace the regulator and possibly the hose.  I just did both for £12 because they were looking tired. 

What's the date on the hose?  I can read October but not the year.

Thanks. I’ll have a look. This new piping and regulator was installed about 18 months ago. 

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Failing that, replace the regulator and possibly the hose.  I just did both for £12 because they were looking tired. 

What's the date on the hose?  I can read October but not the year.

Date on hose is 2009 but was installed last year by gas engineer along with regulator. 

Edited by MrBoater2021

12 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The hose is out of date.  Some propane regulators are listed as not suitable for marine use, the reason defeats me but is your reg one of those? Check with the makers on the internet.

It’s a BP1803 regulator. I’ve just checked it online and  its come up with an immediate item recall.  Products up September 2015 have been recalled but I think mine is December 2015. 

30DA8E92-7F91-45B3-9426-F63D2CD1F034.jpeg

Edited by MrBoater2021
  • Greenie 2

27 minutes ago, dmr said:

Regulators are cheap, and the hose/jubilee clip look less than perfect, just get new ones, regulators are often sold with a length of hose included.

Exactly !

I would suggest that in the amount of time you have taken to verify the leak, take pictures and assess the date of regulator etc etc , you could have changed the regulator and hose many times, particularly considering the cost and danger of lost gas !

10 minutes ago, MarkH2159 said:

Exactly !

I would suggest that in the amount of time you have taken to verify the leak, take pictures and assess the date of regulator etc etc , you could have changed the regulator and hose many times, particularly considering the cost and danger of lost gas !

Thanks. I’m just looking online for new regulator, hose and clips. Any suggestions of what regulator to get? BS EN 16129? EN16864?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333858273765?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180816085401%26meid%3D68f7289350c84b8cb1198ba513815f00%26pid%3D100970%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D333858273765%26itm%3D333858273765%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100970.m5481&_trkparms=pageci%3Ada4cd91f-0f5c-11ec-a313-1efe3c6893b0|parentrq%3Abd19fa6717b0a9b186ae2428fff72e22|iid%3A1

https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=133785758577&category=25621&pm=1&ds=0&t=1630965294672&cspheader=1

2 minutes ago, MrBoater2021 said:

Thanks. I’m just looking online for new regulator, hose and clips. Any suggestions of what regulator to get? BS EN 16129? EN16864?

Although I am not recommending you get it from Midland, their website has your exact model. along with many others that will give you a pointer as to what to buy.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/4kg-high-demand-propane-regulator-1-2-m47

21 hours ago, MrBoater2021 said:

Thanks. I’ll have a look. This new piping and regulator was installed about 18 months ago. 

Date on hose is 2009 but was installed last year by gas engineer along with regulator. 

So the gas engineer installed 11 year old gas hose?

19 minutes ago, StephenA said:

So the gas engineer installed 11 year old gas hose?

Yeah I didn’t notice that before! When I was checking for leaks I found that both jubilee clip screws were just spinning when I tried to tighten them. I bought some temporary cheap ones to replace as I couldn’t make it to Wickes. 

11 minutes ago, StephenA said:

I'd not really be happy about someone fitting a 5 year old gas regulator either.....

Why is it that boats just attract con artists or bodgers? I keep learning with boats that the best thing to do is read the regulations and learn how to do it yourself.  I wouldn’t report him as might effect insurance. I’ve got a certificate etc. I’ll  just replace the regulator, hose and clips myself. 

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Shameful, ask for the money back or report him to Gas Safe.

He is unlikely to be gas safe registered I'd say, given the low standard of this work. Looks to me as though he actually fitted second hand parts rather than really old stock. 

And worth pointing out he did not need to be GSR, unless the OP is a liveaboard. 

Just now, MtB said:

He is unlikely to be gas safe registered I'd say, given the low standard of this work. Looks to me as though he actually fitted second hand parts rather than really old stock. 

And worth pointing out he did not need to be GSR, unless the OP is a liveaboard. 

He’s gas registered and pretty established as a good and trustworthy gas fitter. He’s also a BSS examiner.  He probably used old parts as you say. I’m not naming and and shaming. Pretty sound and genuine guy. Probably just trying to make a bit of extra bob. 

1 minute ago, MrBoater2021 said:

He’s gas registered and pretty established as a good and trustworthy gas fitter.

In which case, I suggest you call him and tell him about the leak on the regulator he supplied and fitted. If he is good and trustworthy he will be horrified and want to return and rectify it. 

• Greenie 2