Calcutta Marina - dog friendly? DIY friendly

starman

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Paul hung on to the dry dock for a while under the guise of "Ventnor Marina Farm services."

He also suggested that anyone having an outside contractor to work on a boat should give him 20% of the bill.

All water beneath the bridge now.

We looked at Ventnor in 2010, and at that time this was still the case, and really the main reason why we went to Calcutt.  Also Ventnor was more expensive than Calcutt.  I full accept that it is probably not the same any more and is more like a normal marina in this respect.

However about 5 years ago we shared Calcutt locks with a boat that was leaving Ventnor because they had been ejected for staying on the boat while they had building work done at home, so do they still put constraints on staying on the boat overnight.

15 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We looked at Ventnor in 2010, and at that time this was still the case, and really the main reason why we went to Calcutt.  Also Ventnor was more expensive than Calcutt.  I full accept that it is probably not the same any more and is more like a normal marina in this respect.

However about 5 years ago we shared Calcutt locks with a boat that was leaving Ventnor because they had been ejected for staying on the boat while they had building work done at home, so do they still put constraints on staying on the boat overnight.

@john6767 We moored in Ventnor from 2009 until 2018. We only left to explore pastures further north.

From what I was lead to believe the people concerned did not discuss the issue with the management, were given a couple of warnings for overstaying and were then asked to leave.

If memory serves me correctly they had been living aboard for a month. Their version of events may differ!!!!

When we moored there the management were happy for folks to stay on board for up to 10 days providing the office was consulted, which I think is fair enough.

Edited by Ray T

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

From what I was lead to believe the people concerned did not discuss the issue with the management, were given a couple of warnings for overstaying and were then asked to leave.

If memory serves me correctly they had been living aboard for a month. Their version of events may differ!!!!

When we moored there the management were happy for folks to stay on board for up to 10 days providing the office was consulted, which I think is fair enough.

How odd.

I can easily see them forgetting about limited stay restrictions if they weren't liveaboards and only did the odd weekend onboard, but I wonder why they didn't just go for a cruise after they were reminded/warned the first time.  The boat obviously worked well enough for them to leave when they got turfed out.

On 29/10/2021 at 21:29, Oddjob said:

Wife and I have a house in Calcutta (India) and there is no marina there, well not for narrowboats anyway.lol. We also have a flat in Goa but we can't get there either at the moment my problem is I miss the street food nothing like it.

I really loved the street food in Kolkata and “ate out”every day when there.  We had an office in town but the local staff wouldn’t come with me because they used to get upset stomachs. I am from Nottingham so obviously immune.

Had a boat trip on the river along with 50 staffers. Was invited onto the bridge and the skipper was fascinated that my narrow boat had a deeper draft than the trip boat.

44 minutes ago, blackrose said:

It's one thing to ask if a marina is "dog friendly" but few dog owners on boats ever stop to ask themselves if they and their dogs are neighbour friendly. 

Most dogs are a bloody nuisance, barking all the time, pissing and sometimes shitting on the pontoons or on the grass without the owners clearing it up.

I especially hate the owners who assume everyone loves dogs and rather than restrict the dog's movement they allow their animal to run at you on those long retractable leads. I don't want some filthy dog jumping up at me and covering me in muddy footprints as I'm on my way to work, but either they don't seem to care or the idiot owners forget to put the brake on the lead every time. Honestly, several times I've had to step over dog leads on pontoons because the owner was on one side and the dog was 10ft away on the other.

Dogs should be kept on short leads so they can be kept under control, but these days people treat their dogs like children and can't seem to control them. While 20 years ago perhaps one in 4 boats had a dog, now it's almost every boat and they all bark at each other.

I know it doesn't sound like it but I actually like dogs. I just wish some owners could be a bit more considerate.

Our dog is rarely on a lead but is always under control, in my view proper control is better than a lead in most cases. Come to that, I don't recall having any problem controlling my child when I had one.

47 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Our dog is rarely on a lead but is always under control, in my view proper control is better than a lead in most cases. Come to that, I don't recall having any problem controlling my child when I had one.

It isn't all about you.

As a child I was attacked by a dog and brought down off my bike by it. You might know your dog running free is under control (it isn't), but I as a member of the public have no idea and every reason to suspect otherwise. 

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, MtB said:

It isn't all about you.

As a child I was attacked by a dog and brought down off my bike by it. You might know your dog running free is under control (it isn't), but I as a member of the public have no idea and every reason to suspect otherwise. 

Indeed, it isn't about me at all, it's about my dog. Running free it can avoid nasty dogs, idiot humans (e.g. cyclists who ring their bells at her) etc. I have poor balance as a result of a stroke and don't want to risk a jerking lead in such circumstances.

Zetti will be 8 next month and since she was a puppy, has never jumped up on anyone. She will either ignore you completely or - if she considers you a potential source of food, will sit down and attempt to stare you into providing it.

I have every sympathy with those who are nervous around dogs, whatever the cause, but it is not my fault.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/09/2021 at 08:32, MtB said:

I've never been to India so would not know about Calcutta Marina as mentioned in your thread title. ;) 

Like Tony I'd recommend Calcutt Marina here in the UK though, other than the need to carpet your pontoon. Much nearer than India. But bear in mind although there are boaters in Calcutt who have dogs, they don't allow liveaboards.*

*Having said that, there is undoubtedly at least one permanent liveaboard in Calcutt. In fact I don't think I've ever been in marina with a 'no liveaboards' rule that doesn't have at least one.

P.S. it isn't just dogs that don't like the see-through Expamet pontoons there. Womens of the female variety are occasionally spooked by it too. DAMHIK.

Women wearing high heals are definitely at risk if they try to walk across a grating!  They are much more dangerous than a dog when badly upset, and are fully capable of inflicting a fairly nasty bite wound. Some men wearing long thin high heels are every bit as bad if you do not lay out a red carpet for them in particular!!

• Haha 1

On 30/10/2021 at 18:57, TheBiscuits said:

How odd.

I can easily see them forgetting about limited stay restrictions if they weren't liveaboards and only did the odd weekend onboard, but I wonder why they didn't just go for a cruise after they were reminded/warned the first time.  The boat obviously worked well enough for them to leave when they got turfed out.

I'm a former live aboard who plans to return to living aboard in the UK, or even live aboard abroad, if I survive my present sunken hull up build, so big question, if you get caught in breach of some local waterways or river regulations as regards time living on your beloved boat, and you are not in a private marina, can they evict you and make you homeless ??

As regards the dog and DIY question, a marina that does not have a good place for dogs to exercise and poop all over, should not accept dogs. If they do have a suitable area and the pontoon is of the correct type, or the management agree to it being covered with a suitable non slip artificial grass, then they should accept dogs, BUT any dog in a marina area should be on a lead at all times until it reaches the approved exercise field or area.

DIY, needs to be clearly defined in the terms and agreements section of the contract. In general terms you are not allowed to do anything involving power tools outside of your boat without approval of the marina staff, BUT they should allow in an unofficial way for you to paint, or carry out simple repairs that do not result in noise, fumes or any type of dust. The business insurance policy terms for a marina will have a lot to say about what can or can't be done by those living or working on or around boats in a marina. Using an angle grinder outside of your boat could easily invalidate that type of policy, as could employing another person to work on your boat that is not registered as a real company and not signed in correctly.

I've been in a marina that had a very serious accident involving a boat owner using an angle grinder. The far Eastern disc split apart whilst cutting up a small steel plate, with one section penetrating the cheap safety glasses of the operator and the other hitting a tourist who should not have been in the yard. The tourist suffered a wound to their arm that only required some first aid from a local doctor who was called in by the emergency services. The chap with the grinder was very lucky to survive, the impact across his face looked just like a sword wound. I had to carry out some serious first aid to stop the blood flow from his forehead by pressing really hard on some wound pads. He was out cold for a few minutes, but recovered enough to start screaming, (Always a good sign). 2 weeks in hospital for moderate concussion and complex eye surgery that was able to save his right eye, although with some reduction in function. Anyone using a disc cutter or grinder without approved PPE is an idiot. Cheap safety glasses are OK at keeping dust out of your eyes, but they make no real difference to the consequences of a disc failing,

Edited by TNLI

2 hours ago, TNLI said:

Women wearing high heals are definitely at risk if they try to walk across a grating!  They are much more dangerous than a dog when badly upset, and are fully capable of inflicting a fairly nasty bite wound. Some men wearing long thin high heels are every bit as bad if you do not lay out a red carpet for them in particular!!

Puts me in mind of the very good advice from the chap who posted this:

image.png.facf0bef304528faee62af996419d51e.png

• Greenie 1