Stratford upon Avon moorings.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Just north of Stratford there’s a Premier Inn alongside the Canal. Ex naval chums are thinking of staying there to meet up for an evening get together.

We will be there on the boat. Anyone know what the moorings are like there?

Good for meeting up with friends. On pins at some places. Lidl near by. Easy walk into town. Safe ,last 5 locks into the basin best done early morning.👍

The edge is scalloped and overgrown.  Will require pins and a billhook (and possibly a plank).  There's one space which is against armco, but that's currently being used by a broken-down boat awaiting an engine transplant.  The basin hasn't been totally full in the last couple of weeks and no-one appears to be enforcing the 2-day max stay there.

38 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Just north of Stratford there’s a Premier Inn alongside the Canal. Ex naval chums are thinking of staying there to meet up for an evening get together.

We will be there on the boat. Anyone know what the moorings are like there?

Just drop down the lock and you'll find a lovely quiet mooring with hard fairly narrow towpath but few bikes and piling to moor to.

Stayed there a few weeks ago for one night before going down to Bankcroft Basin and the River Avon.

Would definitely do it again.

• Happy 1

7 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Just drop down the lock and you'll find a lovely quiet mooring with hard fairly narrow towpath but few bikes and piling to moor to.

Stayed there a few weeks ago for one night before going down to Bankcroft Basin and the River Avon.

The towpath has now been resurfaced with loose gravel (ffs!).  Also be aware that the lock below has had issues in the recent past (July) and emptied that pound a couple of times overnight.

2 minutes ago, DaveP said:

The towpath has now been resurfaced with loose gravel (ffs!).  Also be aware that the lock below has had issues in the recent past (July) and emptied that pound a couple of times overnight.

Well no loose gravel now and no issues. A good find I thought.

24 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Thank you.

Thank you all.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

You could moor just above he lock where the Premier Inn is located, I have seen boats moored there before.  You are close to the lock landing, so some possibly would not like that.

Looking at Google earth there seems to be moorings above the lock. Can’t make out if they are long term. Will see when we get there I expect.

But I have just realised that there are two Premiere Inns. The one I refer to is the one a little further out on the Birmingham Road. There’s a winding hole directly adjacent to the lock.

Edited by Nightwatch

4 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Well no loose gravel now and no issues. A good find I thought.

The loose gravel was there yesterday - a distinct unimprovement over the previous tarmac surface....

10 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Looking at Google earth there seems to be moorings above the lock. Can’t make out if they are long term. Will see when we get there I expect.

But I have just realised that there are two Premiere Inns. The one I refer to is the one a little further out on the Birmingham Road. There’s a winding hole directly adjacent to the lock.

On the offside where the services are there are some long term moorings that were part of the boat yard that used to be there. You would moor on the towpath, which like all the South Stratford is very overgrown, but near the lock just at the end of the Premier Inn building and the start of their park park is not too bad.

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, roggie said:

Screenshot_20210905-180353~2.png

But bear in mind that you can not moor on any of the piling the you can see in the photo.  You can see the posts that are the lock landing and the rest is opposite the winding hole.  Where the boats are is where you can moor.

The space for 2 boats just near the Premier Inn has been occupied continuously for months.

I found better quieter moorings on clear Armco just north of Timothys Bridge #64 and enjoyed the short walk down to the Premier Inn area. Incidentally it was handy to use the Amazon Lockers in the Premier Inn foyer.

9 hours ago, MarkH2159 said:

The space for 2 boats just near the Premier Inn has been occupied continuously for months.

I found better quieter moorings on clear Armco just north of Timothys Bridge #64 and enjoyed the short walk down to the Premier Inn area. Incidentally it was handy to use the Amazon Lockers in the Premier Inn foyer.

The space closest to the locks is occupied by a broken-down boat - currently without an engine, with a new one due to be fitted in the next week or so.  The second mooring is rightly popular and is being used as intended by a succession of moorers; I've used it twice in the last two months on the way to and from the river.  I'm about to carve out another space behind the current occupiers as I'm going back up there today for a week, including getting new solar panels delivered and bathroom bits sorted...

The Timothy Bridge space was just too close to the bins there - overflowing with rubbish and rats on every time I come past....