Blacking a 45ft Narrowboat

Featured Posts

Hi all. 

We have arranged now the engine is working to sort our blacking and have contacted High Line and will be out for a month come the start of November. The first available unless something comes up beforehand. We will be Diy so just paying for crane and jetwash.

Its the first time we have done it but it definitely needs to be done so regardless. We can also use the month to sort a few jobs inside. 

Question is how much blacking do we need???? 

My boat partner is a bit odd at google and came up with the following:

https://www.smlmarinepaints.co.uk/offers/canalboatmaintenancekit/3050_Maintenance

A blacking kit that has 10ltrs of blacking plus thinners and kit for £71

Now to me 10ltrs dont seem much, thinners Ive never heard of thinners in terms of blacking  and £71 sounds very cheap????

Your thoughts and reccomendations please 

Regards 

• Greenie 1

Whilst I do appreciate the temprature issue as I said we do need to do it. Booking a slot is dam near impossible with all slots taken up asap. Hopefully we might get a cancellation before november but given the forst available slot is november is a pretty good indication of the state of play sadly!!!

If nothing else the annodes will be done and something applied to help tide us over. 

• Greenie 1

quote: - Loddon -

• Patron Donate to Canal World
  • Boat Name:Loddon

Its to cold in November to get blacking to stick properly

I would wait until April.

Norra lot of point in wasting money on blacking in the cold -

It won't adhere properly

It wont cure properly

You'll have a helluva job applying it anyway...

It's different if you can do it inside / under cover

take head or waste your time and funds...

15 hours ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

Can you gimd me somewhere quicker that november then as that is the first available slot and its september to many people buying boars these fay slots are all taken up. I get what you are saying bit im not prepared to wait and do zilch til April.  

What is it that makes you not prepared to wait until April?

Book somewhere for April, and wait. If you do it in November it wont stick, and you will have to do it again in April :) 

Edited by Athy

My experience of blacking is limited but when I think back, I have only had the boat blacked either late Autumn or early Winter. There were no problems. 

Maybe I was lucky with the weather and maybe you will be. 

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. 
If (when) it does stick, you ain’t gotta do it in April!

You can go boating 👍

As it happens it looks like I’ll be putting some blacking on again this October.
I have a 5L tin I will use up and work out from there how much more I shall need.

Will you have any cover? If not, can you rig something up?
Good luck with the weather. 

Forgetting November as requested. I have just done ours in Balistic Black and trust me you will need the thinners. I've never seen paint as thick. Didn't know whether to use a brush or a trowel. I started to use it without thinning and it just didn't flow. Second coat coat went on without quite as much thinning. Add as little thinners as you think you can get away with.

Back of a beer mat calculation I reckon you might get 2 coats out of 10litres esp. if you thin the first coat.

You need it to be at least 5 degrees c air temp, possible in November but not guaranteed.  Biggest problem might be getting the hull to dry after pressure washing.  

You could save a bit of money by using something like Black Jack rather than a "marine" product, that way if you do have to do it again next year it won't have cost too much.  I'm not convinced there's much of a difference anyway.

1 hour ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

Forgetting November as an issue can anyone give me an awnser to the other points posted a kit is advertised but seems iffy????

10 litres of Rylard Premium was enough to give my 45ft 3 coats and 4 at the waterline.... not doing the bottom. Thinners was useful for cleaning hands and brushes.

When you say a year overdue, do you mean its 3 years since it was done? another 5 months wont make a blind bit of difference, compared to being able to do a good job in the warmer air in April.

5 hours ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

Whilst I do appreciate the temprature issue as I said we do need to do it. Booking a slot is dam near impossible with all slots taken up asap. Hopefully we might get a cancellation before november but given the forst available slot is november is a pretty good indication of the state of play sadly!!!

If nothing else the annodes will be done and something applied to help tide us over. 

Fenny Compton Marina have slots available now, according to the sign on the office desk. 

I'd guess about five days' cruising from you. 

Just done mine with SML paint a 60 foot boat three coats 25ltr with 2ltr to touch up did not do base plate. I would just buy 15ltr of under seal no thinners that should give you three coats and some touch up. It needs stirring very well and we got it hot by standing it in hot water and keeping it warm. We transferred small amounts to a roller tray first coat was hard work the others were easy.  it drys quickly and looks good.

On 05/09/2021 at 00:50, luggsy said:

Did mine beginning July with SML ballistic black straight out of the can , brushed on 2 coats then 2 coats with roller 1 roller coat round water line 

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

I too used ballistic black straight from the can. Its thin enough if its warm enough to do the blacking. Use a small roller, which can get into all the awkward areas around welds etc. Leave roller in water overnight, shake dry in the morning and carry on, throw away at the end of the job.

On 05/09/2021 at 07:09, Tim Lewis said:

There is a heated indoor dock at Aylesbury, their web site is currently showing availability in November

http://aylesburycanal.org.uk/our-services/slipway-dry-dock/

Best facility for year-round working.

I'm not an expert in 'conventional' blacking, but £30 a tin and a tenner for the brushes and thinners doesn't seem to far from the mark.

Even an all solids epoxy blacking is only around twice that and you might be greatful for the thinners in November!

As said, all else considered, while September or even October can be ok November is late for outdoor painting. Not only for temperature, but also drying after pressure washing. Plus increased risk of rain if not undercover, see also drying! It will dry better on the hard than in a drydock, but not quickly.

The only other thing is to buy the paint now, heal the boat over a good amount and wash+paint a 4inch strip on the waterline now in early sept, repeat for the second side, then do the rest in the new year. But it's a lot of work unless the waterline is real shot.

Are you doing the base plate?

if  you have a shoreline do you have suitable galvanic protection?

Daniel