Injector pump fuel leak 1.8

Slim

Featured Posts

I've got a minor fuel leak from my injector pump which I've narrowed down to either the fuel inlet connection (14 in my manual) or the hydraulic head locking screw (40 in my book). Pretty sure it's not the actual pipe/olive. On my pump connection 14 has a blob of yellow paint suggesting it shouldn't be touched. Why?. However I'm 90% sure it's the head locking screw. It seems to be secure but I've not touched it with a spanner. As I type everything's been wiped clean and I'll check tomorrow morning and again after a few hours. As I'm out at the moment I don't want to do anything too drastic unless I have to . Any advice? 

The pump was professionally overhauled about a thousand hours ago by someone I trust..

Relying on mobile WiFi with poor signal 

Edited by Slim

As I don't have your manual, is there any chance of posting a low res photo, actual or from manual, indicating what you are talking about?

The fuel pipes and hydraulic head are nowhere near each other unless by hydraulic head you mean the transfer pump and regulating vale housing/end plate.

If you are talking about the large hexagon on the transfer pump end plate cum regulating valve housing, then there is a strainer under it and below that the regulating valve with (I think) two springs. As long as you observe absolute cleanliness and avoid rag/paper that does not shed fibres and make sure nothing jumps out at you and you know the order in which to replace any parts that come out, then I don't see why you should not undo that nut. I think it is sealed by a copper washer so can't   think how it has started to leak. That is, unless the end plate bolts are loose. Rinse the parts in clean diesel as you refit them and store under clean diesel.

V slow connection so chances of photo Slim in the next day or so

1, confirm it's bmc 1.8 see topic title

2. Terms used as per Manuel which I got from AMC years ago. Pretty sure it's identical to the one I've got at home which was a download from Calcutts. 

Anyway I'll photograph tomorrow and post ASAP. In the meanwhile thanks Tony and Tracy D' .

2. Terms used as per Manuel which I got from AMC years ago. Pretty sure it's identical to the one I've got at home which was a download from Calcutts. 

Anyway I'll photograph tomorrow and post ASAP. In the meanwhile thanks Tony and Tracy D' .

11 hours ago, Slim said:

Calcutt seem to have removed the downloads.

Let's see if this helps. It is actually from a 1.5 but the pumps are the same. There may well be variations over the years. This is the area  I think you are talking about so where is this leak. A is trying to show the governor housing that is partially hidden by the supply pipe.

505022544_1_5END.jpg.d6007255d79638a7cbf1184d11e88f46.jpg

I've managed to post copy of the manual (I hope) Sorry it seems upside down. It won't let me attach another photo of the descriptions.

Anyway, I checked it before I ran for 5 hours today and it was dry. I'll check again when engine cools. Engine runs fine and as I'm only 10 hours away from moorings and good WiFi I'm minded to live with leak for a couple of days.

Thanks again everyone for comments l WILĹ update as soon as possible. 

Ignore scribbles on page they've  from someone else when I lent manual out.

20210905_082908.jpg

Edited by Slim

As long as you observe scrupulous cleanliness, I can't see any reason you should not take item 44 off to inspect for cracks and fit a new gasket. It os the fuel return.

Item 14 is part of the fuel inlet and it has a strainer and spring-loaded valve as I described in my first reply, Again cleanliness and take great care to avoid arts flying out but I don't see why you should not take that piece off.

Those two parts are so far apart I think any leak could be from elsewhere. The favourite place is from the stop or throttle spindles. 80 & 68. They are sealed by O ring but make sure the control cable is not trying to force the throttle further than   its adjusting screw allows it to move. If it does then the spindle is pushed sideways and that compresses the O ring and allows it to leak.