Battery opinion

RickS

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, dmr said:

Just a boring technical note, batteries are specified by a number of cycles (discharge-charge) to a specified depth of discharge. For most standard flooded batteries (sealed or not) this is about 300 cycles. So....., anybody who say their batteries are great and have lasted for XX years are saying Nothing about the batteries but are just saying that they don't use their boats very much, or live in a marina with a permanent 240 volt connection.

Or:-

have much greater battery capacity than they actually need;

cruise long enough everyday to replace their overnight usage;

have sufficient solar to keep their batteries topped-up over winter;

don't insist on fripperies like coffee makers, electric kettles, etc, etc.

FWIW - our boat has 300-ish watts of solar, has mainly LED lighting, has no electrical fripperies, we cruise 200-ish (engine) hours a year, and came with 5 x 110Ah sealed batteries when we bought in July 2015. No, I have no idea why that much battery was fitted!

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

In terms of the supplier, suggestions were made some that they were trying to deceive, whereas my dealing with them were straightforward and they did exactly as they were contracted to do. I don't suppose that suppliers write their own sales blurb for whatever batteries they may be selling, they will simply regurgitate whatever the manufacturer specifications are, so I don't hold the supplier responsible for what the manufacturer may have said.

In this case, in their technical specification, Alpha Batteries quote both the 100hr and 20hr capacity. They then choose to quote the 100hr capacity as their headline.

They have not regurgitated the manufacturers spec…. They have been particularly selective about how they use it.

Like you, the one time I bought from them, I have had good service from the company, but to con buyers with an advert like this is not really to be defended :( 

Thanks everyone who replied, apologies for not posting sooner. I am immensely grateful for all the advice.

The Leoch batteries, notwithstanding Loddon's praise for them, which I don't doubt, I have been turned off from by the way in which they are presented on that website - possibly an unfair appraisal.

Because of my low knowledge of best charging practice, I think that for this purchase, my preference is for lead-acid batteries that I can check on and top up the electrolyte. That way, if I get it badly wrong I am not throwing away a fortune, jist possibly a small one. Basically, to treat them as consumables.

Like Tony Brooks, I am uneasy about putting a sealed chemical reaction that is a battery in a boat - I personally do not have the precise knowledge of Tony, in my case it is mainly just an instinct.

The problem is, most lead-acid batteries that I have looked at seemed to be described as 'sealed wet flooded' with no obvious way of topping up the distilled water.

At the moment I have 3 Numax DC31MF 105Ah leisure batteries (which seemed to be sealed) and an unidentified starter battery. I have looked at other Numax batteries of 110Ah, which seem to be among the few I have found that are not 'sealed'  Is this brand worth looking at seriously?

Thanks again for all the comments and help

Edited by Rick Savery

Having looked at the link Tony Brooks kindly sent, as well as other sites, I have narrowed my choices down a bit.

I know it's an unfair thing to ask as it is very subjective, but would appreciate it if any of these make you throw up your hands in horror more than anything else.

My choices are:

Numax CXV31MF 105Ah    (engine starter?)                   £99

Numax L110 / M110 110Ah                                            £91.50

PowerPlus L110 110AH                                                   £100

A28 Varta Hobby 110Ah                                      £110

as I say, it's mainly to stop me making a hideously bad purchase if at all possible.

They are all, aprt from the CXV31MF, non-sealed.

Thanks