Bmc 1500 engine broken part

Michael English

Featured Posts

It would help if we could see far more of the engine so it is identifiable.

I have no idea what I am looking at, it might be part of a cylinder head.

Oh - hang on, is it the back of the cylinder head showing the back of the rocker cover. If so it's the calorifier/cab heater hot water outlet and it can be blanked off, or better still drilled and tapped so it's usable again.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

It would help if we could see far more of the engine so it is identifiable.

I have no idea what I am looking at, it might be part of a cylinder head.

Oh - hang on, is it the back of the cylinder head showing the back of the rocker cover. If so it's the calorifier/cab heater hot water outlet and it can be blanked off, or better still drilled and tapped so it's usable again.

Thank you Tony I believe that to be it's purpose but I would like to blank it off completely Could a blank be welded into it?

40 minutes ago, Michael English said:

Thank you Tony I believe that to be it's purpose but I would like to blank it off completely Could a blank be welded into it?

The cylinder head is cast iron.  That  stuff is a beggar to weld properly.  If you don't it is liable to crack along the weld.  You will need to take the head off and the welder is likely to want to heat  the head nearly red hot before he can weld it,  so you would have to strip the head completely. I suspect that either pre-heating it or  welding it is also likely to distort the head, so you would then need to have it skimmed.

Much easier to drill and tap and fit a  suitable sized bolt or set screw into the hole.  A Whitworth or UNC thread would be best but metric coarse would be ok.  Avoid fine threads in cast iron.

Ypu may even he able to drill out the old spigot and replace it.

N

19 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If the spigot has rusted off, one wonders if the engine has been run for a long time with no corrosion inhibitors in the coolant. What are the other water galleries going to be like? It has been neglected in other ways, given the state of the outside.

And the core plugs, I would want to change them and doing so would allow a peek into the galleries.