Bolton Copperworks Application - Better known to canal users as The Uttoxeter Canal Restoration stopper.

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

NOTE . One should get a response to your email. This is a standard reply. It tells you about the public meeting.
I believe that only 3 people can speak for either side and that the C&UCT are one of those, due to speak.

So please do not panic, it should all be in hand :)
The council officers are recommending refusal, however we are taking part in the longer game, in case an appeal is mounted. So please keep sending in those emails of objection.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

I presume that you've copied your list of replies from a Society document, which I'm afraid hasn't been carefully checked.

For instance, in the second suggested reply, it should be "important canal holiday route", and there are a few other blunders too. So, people sending in responses should be wary of copying them verbatim.

I'll be contacting a friend who is a regular presenter on the local station Moorlands Radio to ask if he can mention the situation in his programme.

On 02/09/2021 at 15:35, Athy said:

I presume that you've copied your list of replies from a Society document, which I'm afraid hasn't been carefully checked.

Assume nothing - it was a list I generated off the top of my head. Interesting that you think its a copy from somewhere, I might be getting things right, well nearly.

I'll be contacting a friend who is a regular presenter on the local station Moorlands Radio to ask if he can mention the situation in his programme.

Thank you the more publicity we can get the better. I am quite fearful that this application will be appealed. I am not sure why the owner is going for planning on this piece as the other pieces he owns would almost certainly get planning, so why do the most difficult one first?

Edited by Ian Mac

Bespoke reply of objection sent to Staffs Moorlands.

The local restoration society has stated they have given an objection to the scheme and in their objection replied with an alternative layout.... but the developer is not engaging. That tells me all I need to know.

Edited by mark99

17 hours ago, Ian Mac said:

Hi Folks, well as Mark99 has said the planning committee have rejected the planning request. 
Thanks for all you late letters, there was mention at the meeting  that there were about 50 late letters, not quite sure what these were but it all added to the PAC unanimously vote to refuse  planning.

Not sure if it now has to go to main council, but it is unlikely to be changed there.

However this in my opinion is not the end of the line, as the applicant will not now just lie down, so we need to remain very vigilant.

--cheers and Thanks Ian Mac

Don't you think that this is an excellent opportunity to engage with the developers and the planners and, via a Section 106 (planning gain) thrash out a solution that would be to everyones benefit? At this point the developers will be keen to listen to any proposal that gives their scheme legs and, from the point of view of the Canal Trust, its a chance to have a large chunk of the the canal excavated through the proposed site ..... and maybe beyond. Take a leaf out of the H&GCT's book and ask for an affordable house or two at cost from the developers as a way of ensuring future revenue for restoration and eventual maintenance. I've never understood why this development was seen as a threat rather than an opportunity. Am I missing something fundamental?

• Greenie 2

18 hours ago, mark99 said:
"Good news - the planning application which would have blocked the future restoration of the Uttoxeter Canal at Froghall was unanimously rejected.

Yippee!

17 hours ago, Ian Mac said:

the applicant will not now just lie down,

Why not? Is it not time for the head of the council to take the head of the building company quietly to one side and say "Look, you've lost three times in a row, now bugger off and annoy someone else"?

20 hours ago, Ian Mac said:

Not sure if it now has to go to main council, but it is unlikely to be changed there.

However this in my opinion is not the end of the line, as the applicant will not now just lie down, so we need to remain very vigilant.

--cheers and Thanks Ian Mac

That was planning committee - that's it, Council have spoken

However, regarding your second point, the developer may well have a punt at appealing - I don't think they'd win, appeals nearly always go with policy, but be ready to charpen your pencils again

Could all be a strategic game.

Put in a shite, sure to lose proposal only to re-apply with a modified but still 'what they wanted all along'  scheme which is passed by the council as a well fought "compromise". With all feeling both sides have done well and "won". Except one has won and the others been played to follow through the winners planned ultimate script.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1