Daniels Family

RobDaniels

Featured Posts

Hello all. I, like many over lockdown, have started to trace my family tree. I always knew that my family used to work the canals, so I have been concentrating my efforts there. Apparently my great grandfather (George Daniels) and mother (Mary Jane) are both mentioned in the summer edition of Narrowboat magazine. I have ordered a copy.

My father told me that his dad Joseph (George Daniels son) worked for Samual Barlow, but I have found no connection there. He also said that grandad Joseph worked for John Griffiths. My grandad was baptised in Brentford and finally bought a house and left the boats at Bedworth in 1922, so the John Griffiths connection looks sound. 

My great Grandma's maiden name was Mary Jane Mander who, together with her father Robert were at Tipton in 1871, as was Georges dad Edwin Daniels. Robert Mander's boat is listed as being named Worcester and Edwin Daniels as Warwick. 

George Daniels is listed as being on the boat "Thames" in New Brentford in 1900 and again on the Thames in 1911, this time with the Butty "Tees". Both these are listed as being both owned by John Griffith's.

Incidentally, my grandad Joseph Daniels is listed as living on the boat "Clements" at the time he was baptised, but this may have been the warf, or yard that George and Mary Jane were working from, or moored at.

From memory, my grandad Joseph's sister Rose was the last person to live on the boats. I vaguely remember my dad going to visit her at Sutton Stop when we were walking there in the late 1960's 

If anyone can help me fill in any of the many gaps, or even share stories or pictures of my family, or their boats, I would appreciate it. 

Thank you

We have a good many members who are interested in working boats and their crews, and a few who have blood connections to former working boat families, so I hope that your search may be fruitful.

Edited by Athy

6 hours ago, RobDaniels said:

Hello all. I, like many over lockdown, have started to trace my family tree. I always knew that my family used to work the canals, so I have been concentrating my efforts there. Apparently my great grandfather (George Daniels) and mother (Mary Jane) are both mentioned in the summer edition of Narrowboat magazine. I have ordered a copy.

My father told me that his dad Joseph (George Daniels son) worked for Samual Barlow, but I have found no connection there. He also said that grandad Joseph worked for John Griffiths. My grandad was baptised in Brentford and finally bought a house and left the boats at Bedworth in 1922, so the John Griffiths connection looks sound. 

My great Grandma's maiden name was Mary Jane Mander who, together with her father Robert were at Tipton in 1871, as was Georges dad Edwin Daniels. Robert Mander's boat is listed as being named Worcester and Edwin Daniels as Warwick. 

George Daniels is listed as being on the boat "Thames" in New Brentford in 1900 and again on the Thames in 1911, this time with the Butty "Tees". Both these are listed as being both owned by John Griffith's.

Incidentally, my grandad Joseph Daniels is listed as living on the boat "Clements" at the time he was baptised, but this may have been the warf, or yard that George and Mary Jane were working from, or moored at.

From memory, my grandad Joseph's sister Rose was the last person to live on the boats. I vaguely remember my dad going to visit her at Sutton Stop when we were walking there in the late 1960's 

If anyone can help me fill in any of the many gaps, or even share stories or pictures of my family, or their boats, I would appreciate it. 

Thank you

Rob i have some parish records for Brentford have not found Daniel yet but his brother Joseph was baptised at St Lawrence Brentford born jan 18th 1903 baptised feb 18th 1903 abode given as canal boat Clements   intresting point to note surname has been spelt Daniells also Thomas born 1 April 1900 baptised 11 april 1911 aboad listed as canal boat Thames . also a connection with my Wood's & Manders Canal boating folks .just found an Ethel Rose baptised at St Gabriels Birmingham march 30 1894 only info given is father a boatman on the canal 

Jeanette

Our surname is Daniels. Yes I have all of those three records for Thomas, Joseph and Ethel Rose thanks. Joseph was my grandad. I have just been clearing up a small issue with Mary Jane Manders, as there was one born in 1861 and my one that was born in 1866. If you find the 1871 electrol roll, both Manders and Daniels, were moored at the same stretch of canal in Wolverhampton when Mary Jane was 5 and Joseph's dad George, was 10.  Thanks for your help. Do you think that the name of the boat "Clements" was really the name of their boat, given that they are listed as being on the Thames in both 1900 and 1911?

19 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have some information on Daniels/Mander(s) as they are linked to my boating ancestors (Neal) via Smith and Hoare families.

Captain Pegg. 

I would be interested in any info you would like to share on the Daniels family.

Thanks

Rob

I'll post on here rather than send a PM because it's quite interesting in the way it links some well known canal folk.

@RobDaniels great great grandfather was Edwin Daniels b.1830, a boatman who married Susannah Faulkner of the family associated with the southern Grand Junction canal. George Daniels referenced above being their son. Their daughter Elizabeth Daniels married Thomas Smith and they are the grandparents of George Smith who is well known to many here as the boatman who married wartime trainee Sonia South, who of course later became Sonia Rolt.

From the Smith family there are links to many well known boating families , the most immediate being to Hambridge and Beauchamp.

As well as being grandparents of George Smith, Thomas and Elizabeth Smith were also grandparents of George Leonard Hoare of a Banbury boating family who is my mother's second cousin. The Hoare family are linked to the Grantham, Hone and Neal families who all have links to Banbury and surrounding area, the first two being well known canal families.

If you are not already aware the book 'A Canal People' by Sonia Rolt contains the photographs of Robert Longden who documented details of the working lives of many of these families c.1950. Most of them are linked in numerous ways.

Thank you very much for that, its all a very interesting to read. My mother bought my dad that book for Christmas last year. I must have a good look through it. Unfortunately my dad passed away in May, but I did get quite a lot of info from him over the years and my mother remembers quite a bit. I need to go and see my dads sister, who is 92 and get her quite vivid memories documented. 

Thank you for all your help. I was very pleased that the latest edition of Narrowboat magazine shows a picture of my great grandad Georges boat, together with what could be a photo of him and their horse.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see my 92 year old aunt the other day, Phyllis Caress (Daniels) . She enjoyed her chat about the old days. She remembers going to see her grandad George Daniels at his house in Bedworth. It appears left the boats in the 30s I think. She never met her grandma Mary Jane Daniels (Mander). She also mentioned Georges daughter Ethel was still working the boats in the 30's/40s. Ethel married a Jack Griffiths. I'm not sure if he was a relation to the John Griffiths boating family, does anyone know?

Researching the Daniels family has got me as far as Edwin Daniels B.1800. There the trail runs cold, other than he married someone with the same surname, Mather Daniels. 

I have one more person to visit, a cousin of my dads who I know was researching the family tree a good number of years ago. Hoping I can find something interesting. 

• 5 weeks later...

So as I delve deeper into my boating family I now find that my dads auntie Elizabeth Daniels married William Gibbons who's auntie Harriet Gibbons married Abel Skinner who's son of course was Joseph Skinner who married Rose, The Last Number Ones. I used to swim in the canal where their boat was moored in the early 70s and never knew they were related to me (albight distant). 

Thank you all for helping me along this journey.

2 hours ago, RobDaniels said:

So as I delve deeper into my boating family I now find that my dads auntie Elizabeth Daniels married William Gibbons who's auntie Harriet Gibbons married Abel Skinner who's son of course was Joseph Skinner who married Rose, The Last Number Ones. I used to swim in the canal where their boat was moored in the early 70s and never knew they were related to me (albight distant). 

Thank you all for helping me along this journey.

Harriett Gibbons' nephew's wife is my great grand-aunt. Keep researching and eventually you'll find you can connect pretty much every canal boatperson there ever was to one another.

Ultimately I decided to distinguish between those I was genuinely related to (by blood or legal adoption) from those I am linked to by a series of births and marriages, simply because the latter is an ever growing list. It's still interesting to add well known names to it though.

Coincidentally, as a toddler in the early 70s I used to spend Thursday mornings at Sutton Stop with my granddad dipping a fishing net in the canal in the vicinity of Friendship. Never swam in the canal though.

14 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Harriett Gibbons' nephew's wife is my great grand-aunt. Keep researching and eventually you'll find you can connect pretty much every canal boatperson there ever was to one another.

Ultimately I decided to distinguish between those I was genuinely related to (by blood or legal adoption) from those I am linked to by a series of births and marriages, simply because the latter is an ever growing list. It's still interesting to add well known names to it though.

Coincidentally, as a toddler in the early 70s I used to spend Thursday mornings at Sutton Stop with my granddad dipping a fishing net in the canal in the vicinity of Friendship. Never swam in the canal though.

Yes I gathered that lol. I only followed this link because I found that Joseph, Harriet's brother lived in Grange Road, directly over the road from my junior school and when I posted this on the Longford FB page, someone mentioned Joe and Rose. I may delve a little more into Harriet's brothers and sisters, but need to work more on my mums side. Incidentally, both my dads cousin, who has been working on the Daniels tree for many years and myself, can only get back as far as Edwin Daniels 1800.