Dishwasher or no Dishwasher

BPot

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, Number 9 said:

An alternative view is, if used properly a dishwasher uses less water than washing up, if you have enough solar or use it whilst cruising it may be easier to replace the electricity than topping up the water. Not cheaper, just easier.

Eh?  Apparently a dishwasher uses 50 litres per load on average.  50!!!!!!

Just to be clear - 50 LITRES!!!

My washing up bowl is 9.5 litres.  So unless a dishwasher can manage more than 5 times the amount of washing than my bowl can....  hint - it can't.

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

My washing up bowl is 9.5 litres.  So unless a dishwasher can manage more than 5 times the amount of washing than my bowl can....  hint - it can't.

I think that may be true for old domestic dishwashers, but it seems today the figure is sub 10 litres. I would suggest both methods use a similar amount of water except to get hot water into the bowl usually means running the cold out of the pipes first, but at least that can be sued for rinsing.

Edited by Tony Brooks

39 minutes ago, Bod said:

Before buying anything, be aware of the forth coming changes to emission regulations, it may be better(more expensive) to specify a Hybrid or all electric propulsion system, that will be saleable in the future, rather than an old diesel-powered system.

Bod

Thanks hadn't really looked into hybrid yzt but is certainly worth thinking about for sure. Is there any information on forth coming regulations in the boating world  at the current time ?

15 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

to get hot water into the bowl usually means running the cold out of the pipes first, but at least that can be sued for rinsing.

Why? Is it illegal?

We find that running the cold water out of the pipe into the bowl results in washing-up water of an acceptable temperature - hot water alone is too hot for comfort.

I think it probably depends on your usage pattern at the end of the day. If you're cruising most days then putting the dishwasher on after breakfast with last night's dishes still inside as you set off isn't going to be too much of a strain. If you like mooring in the peace and quiet of the countryside for days at a time then it might get annoying to have to keep running your engine to do the dishes. And you've probably got plenty of time for washing up as well.

Also if you have space for it - what do you have to give up to dedicate that space to a dishwasher?

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

According to the figures from Which, if you use a slimline dishwasher once a day it is 3 litres of water, if you wash up after each meal it is 30 litres, but don't all get one, the price will go up 🙂

Screenshot 2021-09-02 11.48.17.png

Edited by Number 9
used wrong image
  • Greenie 1

If people are using 30l of water a day to wash dishes on their boat they have a bigger sink than me!

Either way, with water being free and my tank storing hundreds of litres and needing a fill considerably less often than my toilet needs emptying (usually at the same place), I'm struggling to see it as more of an issue than the 2kWh of power I'd have to generate to run a dishwasher for a cycle

Edited by enigmatic
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, enigmatic said:

If people are using 30l of water a day to wash dishes on their boat they have a bigger sink than me!

That's just nearly seven gallons in English - which does sound quite a lot for three washing-uppings a day.

3 hours ago, BPot said:

Thanks hadn't really looked into hybrid yzt but is certainly worth thinking about for sure. Is there any information on forth coming regulations in the boating world  at the current time ?

Put "Zero emissions" into the Search Box, there are several topics on this.

Bod

1 hour ago, Athy said:

That's just nearly seven gallons in English - which does sound quite a lot for three washing-uppings a day.

I do 1 washing up a day.  Breakfast is cereal and tea so - 1 bowl, 1 spoon, 1 mug, 1 teaspoon.  Lunch is a sandwich or something like that - 1 plate, 1 butter knife, 1 sharp knife.  A glass for cold drinks.  By the time I've cooked dinner I've usually made enough washing up to warrant a bowl-full for the day.  No need to wash up three times a day any more than there's a need to run a dishwasher 3 times a day. 

The people I know with dishwashers end up doing a bowl-full anyway because; there's things they won't put in the dishwasher, and there's other things which the dishwasher won't get properly clean.

5 hours ago, BPot said:

In summary - applies on ALL UK WATERS (Sea and Inland)

1) From 2025 No new boat can be built unless its propulsion method can be modified to utilise Zero emission propulsion

2) From 2035 No new boat can be built unless it has a zero emission propulsion method.

3) From 2050 all boats MUST have zero emission propulsion and any othe boats must be removed from the water.

Boats built (now) with ICE engines will become increasingly difficult to sell - like a leashold house that has a 99 year lease and 80 years have gone - no one will take it on.

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that may be true for old domestic dishwashers, but it seems today the figure is sub 10 litres. I would suggest both methods use a similar amount of water except to get hot water into the bowl usually means running the cold out of the pipes first, but at least that can be sued for rinsing.

Our hot taps at home have to run for about 35 seconds before hot waters starts to run.

I used to worry that something was wrong, but then saw a YouTube video which showed how to overcome it. It involved a new run of pipes to create a permanently hot loop… seemed complicated and expensive, so I forgot about it, until now :) 

On 01/09/2021 at 12:47, Athy said:

Most people haven't got them in their relatively spacious houses (have they?), so wasting space by installing one in the more cramped surroundings of a narrowboat would be, as Northerners say, to' daft to laff at. It's not as if they are in any way essential.

Especially given that you'll almost certainly be fitting a kitchen sink any way. What other uses could be made of the restricted space you have available in a boat that would be far more useful?

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Our hot taps at home have to run for about 35 seconds before hot waters starts to run.

I used to worry that something was wrong, but then saw a YouTube video which showed how to overcome it. It involved a new run of pipes to create a permanently hot loop… seemed complicated and expensive, so I forgot about it, until now :) 

And unless the loop is really short and very well insulated it would be cooling the hot cylinder so it cycled more often - a bit like using a 98xx Alde with the room stat set high in the summer only to heat water. I think it would involve a pump as well. I doubt very energy efficient.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

And unless the loop is really short and very well insulated it would be cooling the hot cylinder so it cycled more often - a bit like using a 98xx Alde with the room stat set high in the summer only to heat water. I think it would involve a pump as well. I doubt very energy efficient.

Primary circulation which is what we are talking about here is horrendously wasteful in energy. It relies on the loss of heat from the water to create gravity circulation.

If its not working on gravity you need a bronze circulator pump, now its even worse as it wastes electricity too.

Ye gods. My first boat had paraffin lighting, second and third had gas lighting. Present boat has paraffin heating (Sort of home made Taylors heater)  Also has this new fangled electric light stuff and television (colour!)  Slowly being dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century but a dishwasher! On a boat!  Bl**** hell they'll be putting men on the moon next.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Bee said:

Slowly being dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century

No easy way to break this to you gently, but we are over a fifth of the way through the 21st century now. Not going to be putting any more people on the moon for a while yet. The most recent visit was by Wallace and Gromit in 1989.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Horror 1

15 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

No easy way to break this to you gently, but we are over a fifth of the way through the 21st century now. Not going to be putting any more people on the moon for a while yet. The most recent visit was by Wallace and Gromit in 1989.

Are you sure? Damn. I seem to have gone from Club 18 to 30 holidays to McCarthy and Stone retirement homes with no recollection of anything in between. Last thing I remember was smoking something at the Isle of Wight festival.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In summary - applies on ALL UK WATERS (Sea and Inland)

1) From 2025 No new boat can be built unless its propulsion method can be modified to utilise Zero emission propulsion

2) From 2035 No new boat can be built unless it has a zero emission propulsion method.

3) From 2050 all boats MUST have zero emission propulsion and any othe boats must be removed from the water.

Boats built (now) with ICE engines will become increasingly difficult to sell - like a leashold house that has a 99 year lease and 80 years have gone - no one will take it on.

Where did you get this info from? 

25 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Where did you get this info from? 

Government documents which I have posted on this forum many times over the last couple of years.

Has been totally poo-pood on the forum "it'll never happen" and "I don't care, I'll not be boating by 2050" and now it is happening folks are starting to panic.

Ask any boat builder, some are already moving production to only electric boats.

Examples of the fact that it includes Inland waterways boats :

Page 11 :

"..for standardising environmental
regulations for vessels operating
domestically within the UK, including
inland waterways....."

Page 12
"..... the RTFO
currently applies to fuel suppliers for the
non-road mobile machinery (NRMM)
sectors, the definition of which includes
inland shipping and recreational craft that