Smoke - oil/diesel mix

Featured Posts

I think the main thing is that there was good intent of everyone involved with the added complexity of our distance and lack of knowledge. That includes everyone here - thanks for the support, it has allowed me to ask more questions and dig more. I very much appreciate it 

Very briefly - we are going to do that when we are down. We'll be there for the full weekend so can really check it out. I think my FIL doesn't really want to touch in - he felt very guilty that the 'problem' happened on his watch....we've told him a million times that it had nothing to do with him but he's more nervous about it now. 

3 hours ago, Mel Good said:

No change in the oil level this morning thankfully. We are heading down tomorrow so can finally take a look ourselves. 

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Has the engine been run in between checks ?

3 hours ago, Mel Good said:

Very briefly

The diesel is extremely unlikely to find its way into the engine oil unless the engine is running - no diesel is being pumped when the engine is switched off.

7 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Could possibly be siphoning past a leaking pump gasket. 

I am not sure which pump gasket would allow fuel to enter the sump, but I suppose a really badly worn main shaft seal on a DPA pump would allow fuel to syphon from a higher level tank or just the fuel left under pressure in the lift pump. However, this is a Broom and it probably has a low level fuel tank beside the engine.