Isuzu 55 Marine Engine Coolant Emptying...

Featured Posts

On 19/06/2022 at 22:44, Mike Adams said:

There are various threads on here about the Isuzu 55 engine and head gaskets blowing. It seems to only occur on engines that have skin tank cooling and not on those fitted with a marine mannicooler/heat exchanger. I suspect that your underlying problem is down to overheating of the engine. These engines are not normally fitted with a temperature gauge so your running temperature could be too high without the alarm going off. As you said there is poor circulation to the calorifier I would suspect overheating to be the cause due to poor or restricted circulation.. Possibly check the water circulation pump first as you are taking the head off anyway. It could be a build up of scale/rust in the engine and skin tank on its own or in combination with a blockage of the water passages in the block or head. Skin tanks performance degrades over time with internal corrosion and build up on the external surfaces. Wash out the skin tank and engine and add corrosion inhibitor/antifreeze  when you refill.

air collecting in the head depending on the cooling arrangement could also be causing the issue.

You are quite correct. The early Isuzu 55's did have an issue with head gaskets blowing. This was only an issue on the 55's and did not affect any of the other models. At the time the fix was to repair using a modified head gasket as supplied by Isuzu. I have done a number of these in the past and once fitted with a modified gasket there were no further problems. It was also recommended by Isuzu to replace the stretch head bolts at the same time.

On 19/06/2022 at 16:44, Mike Adams said:

There are various threads on here about the Isuzu 55 engine and head gaskets blowing.....

Thank you, I've had a look and yes there does seem to be a bit of a trend!  This one has a temp guage the reads accurately, holding about 65 degrees all day long....

12 hours ago, Bod said:

20 years ago, the better half, had a car that over heated for no apparent reason, no amount of normal looking at, found anything amiss.

Desperation removed the water pump, the light shone brightly!

All the vanes in the pump had corroded away, the poor spindle was doing it's best, but without the vanes, the water didn't move.

Yes, I've seen this before.  Had the waterpump refurbished with new impeller, seals and bearings!

6 hours ago, Steve56 said:

I have done a number of these in the past and once fitted with a modified gasket there were no further problems. It was also recommended by Isuzu to replace the stretch head bolts at the same time.

Ooooh interesting! Where did you source the parts from?  Is there anyway of telling if I got a modified head gasket or not? Ah, so they ARE stretch bolts, I did suspect they were...!

Edited by Quattrodave

3 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

Thank you, I've had a look and yes there does seem to be a bit of a trend!  This one has a temp guage the reads accurately, holding about 65 degrees all day long....

Yes, I've seen this before.  Had the waterpump refurbished with new impeller, seals and bearings!

Ooooh interesting! Where did you source the parts from?  Is there anyway of telling if I got a modified head gasket or not? Ah, so they ARE stretch bolts, I did suspect they were...!

At the time I was working as a self employed marine engineer and covering warranty work for Isuzu Marine as well as a few other major engine companies. Isuzu Marine have now become Engines Plus. Therefore all parts would have been supplied by them, and all genuine Isuzu parts. I don't really know what the parts availability is, but if stuck you could call Engines Plus and they may be able to advise.

47 minutes ago, Steve56 said:

At the time I was working as a self employed marine engineer and covering warranty work for Isuzu Marine as well as a few other major engine companies. Isuzu Marine have now become Engines Plus. Therefore all parts would have been supplied by them, and all genuine Isuzu parts. I don't really know what the parts availability is, but if stuck you could call Engines Plus and they may be able to advise.

Perfect, good to know. Yes I'll give them a shout, thank you.