TIPICAL TOPIC ABOUT WIFI

rutxi

Featured Posts

As everyone here have a boat and also need internet as a lot of us work from home. So here my question, I need the faster wifi as possible as I work in postproduction and I have lot of GB to download and upload.

Any recommendation?  I've been reading get as a kit of vodafone sim + tp-link router Archer MR600 or HUAWEI B535-333 + Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001

is that right? another recommendation? router, antena?

thank you guys!!!

22 minutes ago, Loddon said:

MR600 is crap compared to the 535!

I tun a Huawei B818 at home and see 50mbs minimum normally up in the 80's

Location has more bearing than kit on what you can get.

Absolutely. Tolerable Wi-Fi internet at Calcutt, but nowhere near that speed, yet a mile or so up the cut its much wore.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, rutxi said:

As everyone here have a boat and also need internet as a lot of us work from home. So here my question, I need the faster wifi as possible as I work in postproduction and I have lot of GB to download and upload.

Any recommendation?  I've been reading get as a kit of vodafone sim + tp-link router Archer MR600 or HUAWEI B535-333 + Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001

is that right? another recommendation? router, antena?

thank you guys!!!

Surely constantly downloading (and presumably also uploading) multi-GByte files, you are going to run straight into the limitations of both 4g and whatever your service provider considers "reasonable use", rather than your connection hardware.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

MR600 is crap compared to the 535!

I tun a Huawei B818 at home and see 50mbs minimum normally up in the 80's

Location has more bearing than kit on what you can get.

Very often, and increasingly, we have a good strong signal but the speed is hopeless, sometimes zero for a while. There are also frequent disconnections. I propose that this is because the mobile network itself is overloaded so no amount of clever technology on the boat will help much, but, I suspect one of the clever routers that can take multiple SIMs and share the load might be a good idea.

The new low satellite systems look interesting, if expensive, but I have just read that these are also very susceptible to having too many users.

• Greenie 1

and forgot to say, I was a very "early adopter" of this sort of stuff (unusual for me) and regardless of whether things have changed or not, my experience taught me to Never deal with Vodafone ever again.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, reg said:

Varies greatly dependent on location and weather. 

I use android app WiFiman To run a quick Speed test whenever i Change location. 

For free info on mast locations try

cellmapper.net

I don't understand how the mobile networks actually function, and its not easy to find out. They must have some clever and possibly naughty algorithms to make the best of an overloaded network. Maybe i'm paranoid but I suspect you get a good speed when you first connect and then you slowly get pushed down the pecking order. Frequent disconnects and reconnects sometimes helps.

I also sometimes suspect that you go down the pecking order more if your connection is idle, so leaving Spotify running is a good idea. I think I read that 62,000 songs are uploaded every day so there's plenty to listen to. 😀

• Haha 1

Equipment does matter more than I implied. In the same location using the the same network,  same mast and cell when looking for a new router I noted the following  maximum speeds

Huawei B525 30mbs

TP link 600 25mbs

Huawei B535 50+mbs

Huawei B818 90mbs 

The reason being the difference in the way/speed  they implement MIMO.

Usefull ap if using Huawei kit is 

https://huactrl.en.aptoide.com/app

It enables you to set the bands that you connect to the cell on amongst other things.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, dmr said:

Very often, and increasingly, we have a good strong signal but the speed is hopeless, sometimes zero for a while. There are also frequent disconnections. I propose that this is because the mobile network itself is overloaded so no amount of clever technology on the boat will help much, but, I suspect one of the clever routers that can take multiple SIMs and share the load might be a good idea.

The new low satellite systems look interesting, if expensive, but I have just read that these are also very susceptible to having too many users.

Connection speeds may be the least of your problems with satellite systems:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58061230

32 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Connection speeds may be the least of your problems with satellite systems:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58061230

Yes that's the article I was quoting, but with hindsight I picked up on he least exciting bit.

"New tech company looses £xxxxxx  deal because flying rat lands on satellite dish" is a much better story 😀

• Greenie 1

Choice of network is important too. In my experience EE is much faster than Three. The Three network is overloaded with many many  "unlimited" users who don't care about how much they download (someone here mentioned leaving Spotify running all the time). This overloads the network making it slower. I used to be with Three, switched to EE and now get much faster speeds and more reliable connection.

4 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

switched to EE and now get much faster speeds and more reliable connection.

Also tried a number of providers but found EE gave most constant service. 

I have 100gb for £20 although this was a special deal.