Stern Engine rooms

Neil2

Featured Posts

The Tree class boats built by Charles Hill of Bristol for the Severn and Canal Carrying Co had the engine room behind and the crew cabin in front. The cabin was provided with a roof hatch in case the door to the hold was blocked by cargo. They were reputedly unpopular with the boatmen.

More at https://hnbc.org.uk/boats/willow

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Nansen has the engine at the back end of the cabin, originally it had a mid wheelhouse so I presume the engine was behind the wheelhouse.  You can see the gear lever on the right of the steerers step. It is very noisy when steering.8934282985_f200e92b1f.jpg.2e08fd7ce061d0fba57ee4810b7a54f1.jpg

Air cooled engine?

The exhaust position won’t help. A lot of the ‘engine’ noise is actually the exhaust. I wouldn’t want my engine to exhaust through the roof, although that would be more to avoid fumes.

I’ve just managed to bear another full days boating in my stern engined boat. 😊

7 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Air cooled engine?

The exhaust position won’t help. A lot of the ‘engine’ noise is actually the exhaust. I wouldn’t want my engine to exhaust through the roof, although that would be more to avoid fumes.

I’ve just managed to bear another full days boating in my stern engined boat. 😊

Yes, 3 cylinder air cooled Lister.  You get a constant hot air blowing in your face as well from the ducting that sends the hot air out through the pigeon box.

28 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Yes, 3 cylinder air cooled Lister.  You get a constant hot air blowing in your face as well from the ducting that sends the hot air out through the pigeon box.

Wow. A heated steering position. That's a positive selling point. Beats my mattress foot warmer.

10 hours ago, Tonka said:

Why have a long prop shaft. Surely you could fit hydraulic drive. I believe the 70 ft Janus has this arrangement

I think this might be the perfect arrangement, personally.  I'm a fan of hydraulic transmission systems but the few I have seen on narrowboats squeeze them into impossibly tight spaces for some reason.  

8 hours ago, Ray T said:

I forget which ex working boat this is but it has an engine in the back cabin.

This is not a normal 'under-floor', yet to be completed engine installation in a trad stern boat.  It does have a step to stand on whilst steering and a tiller!

Photo's taken at Alvecote gathering 2014

DSCF1774.jpg

DSCF1775.jpg

Wish you had let me know you were taking picture, I would have tidied up a bit. No its not a ex-working boat but I built it 42years ago, I named it Comet after the small Woolwich Comet I worked for Willow Wren in 1964/5.

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, J R ALSOP said:

Wish you had let me know you were taking picture, I would have tidied up a bit. No its not a ex-working boat but I built it 42years ago, I named it Comet after the small Woolwich Comet I worked for Willow Wren in 1964/5.

Roger, I think the interior is wonderful. 

Thank you on correcting me which boat it is, I will amend my records.