Boats running their engine outside 8 till 8 rules

Timx

Featured Posts

Noise over water can travel miles. Back in the day there was an unexpected pint waiting for me at the globe pub just as they were closing. It was November and a cold frosty night. My friends had heard me open up the motor coming out of solbury three as I picked up the butty. That is about 3 miles.

5 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Noise over water can travel miles.

Never mind that, I find a boat running it's well-silenced engine half a mile away can be clearly heard inside mine, the engine noise being transmitted via the water. A deep and unpleasant throb coming up through the hull, even if the sound cannot be heard outside on the wind.

34 minutes ago, MtB said:

Never mind that, I find a boat running it's well-silenced engine half a mile away can be clearly heard inside mine, the engine noise being transmitted via the water. A deep and unpleasant throb coming up through the hull, even if the sound cannot be heard outside on the wind.

Same here. Even worse late at night. You stick your head on the pillow to try to get to sleep, and there it is. Even when there's nothing to be heard elsewhere in the boat,  you can't escape the noise through the hull.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Same here. Even worse late at night. You stick your head on the pillow to try to get to sleep, and there it is. Even when there's nothing to be heard elsewhere in the boat,  you can't escape the noise through the hull.

That is so true. Last trip I got up looking for the noise source and couldn't hear a thing

14 hours ago, Triumph-Rat said:

Really???

I am just trying to understand why it is such a bad thing.

I have stated that I like my music but would level it down as I would here if I thought it would offend, to get people telling me that I said I would play it as loud as I want when I want.  That is not what I said, read the post before attacking your keyboard.

Is the sound of an engine very loud?  I do not know, this is why I ask questions.

And to offer me an impromptu swim without even knowing me, I think some of community are showing their true colors with that one and if  do get a boat you are welcome to try 😄.

Fair enough, sentence one was not what I actually said (and therefore within my remit) but sentence two explained the issue, thankyou.

Thankyou, a well thought out and articulated answer.

you will fit in anywhere 1 because you say you would lower the sound if it offended anyone and anyone i think there is a great community on the canals and if you are willing to put sume thing in than you will do just fine no swimming    

12 hours ago, MtB said:

And this is why a quiet genny on the bank is a much better option.  The sound just doesn't carry.

Two relevant anecdotes.

Many moons ago I was moored up one night when someone knocked on my boat. I opened the stern door and a bloke said "do you mind if I run my engine after 8:00pm, my batteries are knackered and I want to watch the football?"

I replied "why not come aboard and we can watch it together". He went back to his boat and brought back a few bottles of beer. We are still in touch today.

One sunny evening we were moored on the Leicester Branch in total solitude. In the distance I heard what I thought was the sound of a slow revving engine, perhaps a Bolinder. As the noise got closer it was apparent it was not an engine, then as it got closer again it became appaerent it was music, played loudly. 

After a short while it became clear the music was the Rolling Stones, Sympathy for tne Devil, playing really loudly.

Eventually a boat came into view, perhaps half an hour after I first heard it. I asked the steerer if he could turn the music down a bit, but he couldn't hear me.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Eventually a boat came into view, perhaps half an hour after I first heard it. I asked the steerer if he could turn the music down a bit, but he couldn't hear me.

He probably assumed you were asking him to SLOW DOWN!!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Noise over water can travel miles. Back in the day there was an unexpected pint waiting for me at the globe pub just as they were closing. It was November and a cold frosty night. My friends had heard me open up the motor coming out of solbury three as I picked up the butty. That is about 3 miles.

That effect of sound over water links to a number of performance locations which are built with a lake between the stage and audience.

Note also that humans have understood this phenomenon for a very long time - the NT has stories of Jesus preaching from a boat to a large crowd - who clearly were able to hear him well.

14 hours ago, Loddon said:

He would have it turned up to 11 ;)

The oven in our old house went up to 11. Always caused a laugh at parties when people -- as is traditional -- gathered in the kitchen after a few drinks...

A couple of years ago we were moored on a visitors moorings, the opposite bank being permit holders moorings.

We’d been out most of the day, returning early evening, perhaps 5 O’clock. Decided to run the genny on the bank as it is quieter than the engine. After around 15 mins I heard some shouting, I went out to see what the commotion was about to find a very abusive man on the permit holders moorings shouting at me to turn my genny off as it was interfering with his TV reception. 
I happily complied with his request (even though it was quite obnoxiously put) I packed the genny away and started my engine which had at the time a slight exhaust blow. I went back in the boat and noticed the man fuming on his back deck looking daggers in the direction of my boat. I ran the engine until the batteries were fully charged and I had plenty of hot water. I switched off at 5 to 8.

Had the man originally asked in a more civilised manor I would probably have cruised off and charged elsewhere.

In life you get what you give. And small victories make it interesting (even if they are a little petty)