Boats running their engine outside 8 till 8 rules

Timx

Featured Posts

Its astonishing how far even a normal conversation can carry along a canal when there's not much wind. 

Many times on quiet days I've heard a conversation that sounded as if it was 20 yards away, but then I see that the boat is still a few hundred yards away. 

Someone playing their tunes as they cruise past can be heard up to half a mile away, and you can often still hear them long after they've passed and gone out of sight. 

I left a podcast playing on my phone as I popped out to ask a nearby boater something about the locks up ahead, and on my way back about ten minutes later I was genuinely surprised at how loud it was as I approached my boat- even though I had considered it to be pretty quiet when I was inside, the sound carried far more than I expected.  

If the volume that you play your music is similar to a normal house, you will find it is heard by everyone for hundreds of yards all around.

If you're in a line of boats moored in a popular spot, you will very quickly become unpopular. 

If you dont mind upsetting and annoying people everywhere you go, and being repeatedly confronted by other boaters, then you will be happy.

But if you play your tunes late at night (when it is very quiet and the sound carries even further), you will not be a popular boater. 

Even on the very popular Llangollen, in high summer, with parties of hire boaters of all sizes and types, there were very, very few times that anyone played music at an offensive volume.

There just seems to be an understanding about it. 

A big factor for why the great majority of people come to boating is because they love a peaceful, quiet environment, so my recommendation would be to use headphones when you want to listen to music loud. Its just the decent thing to do. There's no point spoiling the evening of a few dozen people around you, when you have an easy solution. 

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 3

ok 

1 running engines / to watch television / or computer 

2 running engines if you have a problem and need to / charge betrays for lighting / pumps

i cant think of any other reason why you need to run your motor

i think 1 is un justified and 2 is a necessity and my response to the first would be ok sorry to disturb you and report the name and number of the boat or boat rental name for running the motor after 8 with no problem what so ever i do not think throwing them in to the cannel is a good idea there is a enough crap in there as there is

and the second would offer to help may be run a lead from my boat or lend lights or a solution to help sourly that is the right attitude to have.

loud music no need for it i this day it is cool to walk around with either the biges or smalls ear phones with no over spill of sound giving you fretum of movement and pice to others in your fascinate at knight as before after 8 i would ask them to tern it down or ok sorry to disturb you and report the name and number of the boat or boat rental name for running the motor after 8 with no problem what so ever.

i can not see any reason why when i have pay for a service ( licence fee or facility ) that is it is not in the interest of that biasness to revoke the ( license of repetitive offenders ) if you copy and past it in to your search engine it will give you a look in to what sort of person bears no regard for any one around them we do not need on the cut or relay in the society we live in.

yes and it is ok for all the do goodusers and willenulers / that is not the same as the good dousers to say they have there rights well they do not i was  taught if you cross the line then there will be consequence it is called a reasonable society and i think that we are lousing site of it more and more each day.

the Canal & River Trust  i hope would ack in a reasonable manner on this problem if we approach it in the same way i will now go back to dreaming                 

• Unimpressed 1

10 minutes ago, Dave Potter said:

ok 

1 running engines / to watch television / or computer 

2 running engines if you have a problem and need to / charge betrays for lighting / pumps

i cant think of any other reason why you need to run your motor

i think 1 is un justified and 2 is a necessity

Electric lights and pumps are absolutely not a necessity.  If your batteries are so low they can't power lights and pumps, you'll have to do without until morning.

When I was a complete newbie and had no idea about batteries, I did this.  I had no power at all.  But I had a battery powered lantern and a head torch and I just got on with it.  I would not be running my engine late at night.  That's turning my problem into someone else's problem.

• Greenie 2

thanks for your reply it brightens my day to read your post and no know that we have some responsibly boaters on the cut but it still levees the question how do we educate the irresponsible ones that just do not care and i think that reporting the offenders to the Canal & River Trust is the right thing to do 

14 minutes ago, Dave Potter said:

reporting the offenders to the Canal & River Trust is the right thing to do 

Intolerance of the activities of others seems to be  common among boat owners. C&RT may be overwhelmed by reports. 

then if they are then they may have to do something i would not like to keep them awake at knight they have enough problems with all the composted shit to deal with in the cut may a correction     

correction on not in 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Have you not noticed . In the UK the breaking of rules is a commonplace activity.

Most rules or laws are seen as guidelines and not regarded as very important, same as everywhere, not just the UK. Everyone decides for themselves what really matters, and generally there's more or less a consensus, as there is with loud music and engine running, so most people accept it (and the rule) and the system works. There's always a few antisocial plebs, but that's life, and there are always exceptional circumstances, and so's that.

The "rules" just codify the consensus.

ETA the latest data leak of the Pandora papers show how much respect lawmakers everywhere have for the law. It's not just the hoi polloi.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 2

i finned it hard as i am in france and all we see is what we get on the tv and and old friends the come over to see us.

i work in engineering cad cam and left when i could see everything being shipped to other eu countries ,, down to great and lat GB and MT you could say left the sinking ship but we were soled down the river.

i was surprised to finned when i got to france how many engineers lived her that had fled the country and loved to remember the great projects and things that they had been part of concord for one me being younger than most my story was so great to there's anyway,

back to 2021 we have the same problems her in france the young have no work unless you are very well educated my girls do very well and work hard. they can bay a starter house for under 50000 needs work on it but thats is what it is all about or rent a house for a 1/4 of there salary they have supported child care from when the child is dry and start school at a very young age i find it hard to see a family in england were the wife's salary  go in child care, food is more expensive her but we can eat from a restaurant 3 course meal for 30 euros for 2 thats is with a liter of wine and coffee bear is not good her.

we have police national her fully trained with a gun weapon and can kick my ass for sour seen them in action a couple times that's is one of the things that you notice when we first got her normally 4 of them 2 up front about 1.5m apart and one 3m left one 3m right as soon as you approach then the clip on holster is unclip and you are never let to get to close you ask your question my be a photo with one of them but they are all ways in control when i see the police over there it looks like they wont to be friends that is ok but when someone is running around with a gun or knife are police seem to have a bigger affect. may be thats is what is the problem over there

i suppose you are thinking what is he doing on this forum well i retire next year and won't to speck the mother tongue once more and hoping to work on my last project a wide beam shell on the north side of the cut relay looking forward to it have family in nottingham so hope to be base in a yared there for a little while then  continues cruising may be work on some canal projects                      

I was brought up in a terraced council house with very thin walls between us and our neighbours. My upbringing was punctuated by admonishments to keep the noise down out of consideration for our neighbours. No by laws, nothing in writing, just common courtesy.

That's what we lived by when we were on the canals. There were times when we would have been perfectly entitled to run our engine when we took the decision that we were a little too close to a nearby house and we'd therefore live without TV that night.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Ange said:

I was brought up in a terraced council house with very thin walls between us and our neighbours. My upbringing was punctuated by admonishments to keep the noise down out of consideration for our neighbours. No by laws, nothing in writing, just common courtesy.

That's what we lived by when we were on the canals. There were times when we would have been perfectly entitled to run our engine when we took the decision that we were a little too close to a nearby house and we'd therefore live without TV that night.

This is me!  I've been known to move on a quarter mile just because a boat has come and moored by me and I know I want to run my engine.  They probably think I'm being anti-social when it's the opposite.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

This is me!  I've been known to move on a quarter mile just because a boat has come and moored by me and I know I want to run my engine.  They probably think I'm being anti-social when it's the opposite.

If you moor near me and want to run your engine,it's no problem.Just a cup of coffee and choc bics while you tell me you are running your engine.

Like Mr. Marshall I also play the Trombone,and am going deaf,so I would say go ahead.

You probably wouldn't hear a badly played Trombone above your engine anyway.

I remember a time when I thought the guy who moored on a lock landing after passing Nene visitor moorings with loads of quarter of a mile away was being antisocial, until I heard the distant sound of his genny kicking in and thought "thank god that's not next to my boat".

Normal engines aren't so bad including the guy who politely explained to me he'd like to run it after 8 if I didn't mind as his batteries were dead and not being replaced until tomorrow 

11 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

If you moor near me and want to run your engine,it's no problem.Just a cup of coffee and choc bics while you tell me you are running your engine.

Like Mr. Marshall I also play the Trombone,and am going deaf,so I would say go ahead.

You probably wouldn't hear a badly played Trombone above your engine anyway.

I do use a bit of judgement.  If theres a load of boats, I don't worry.  If there's a noisy road or railway I don't worry.  But if I've moored in a lovely bit of splendid isolation because I know I want to do a big charge and run my genny all day, and then a boat arrives and it's not a noisy boat (no dogs, children, speakers), I'll often move on to preserve their peace.  At the least I'll go and warn them of my impending noise.

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

I remember a time when I thought the guy who moored on a lock landing after passing Nene visitor moorings with loads of quarter of a mile away was being antisocial, until I heard the distant sound of his genny kicking in and thought "thank god that's not next to my boat".

Normal engines aren't so bad including the guy who politely explained to me he'd like to run it after 8 if I didn't mind as his batteries were dead and not being replaced until tomorrow 

Frame gennys are bad but a quiet suitcase genny causes less disturbance than engine running, when it's on the towpath.  A boat engine sends a deep noise a long way through the water.  A quiet genny on the towpath fades into the background in a pretty short distance.

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

At the least I'll go and warn them of my impending noise.

^^^This^^^

Common courtesy makes all the difference. I too like to moor in splendid isolation and I too find my presence attracts other boats to moor next to me. The most annoying type is the boat that rocks up, moors right next to me and then leaves their engine running. I once politely asked one who did this and the bloke airily said "oh we always keep the engine running after mooring up for hot water as we all have showers at the end of a boating day", as if there was nothing whatever wrong with doing this, which technically, there isn't but it pished me off mildly. 

Had he on the other hand, approached me and said "I say old bean, would mind awfully if we keep our engine running for an hour while we all have showers? We need it for the hot water, you see..." I'd have been entirely happy with this as it shows some consideration. In fact I might even have said yes I'll start my engine too then and charge my batts. But no, he knew his rights....

23 hours ago, MtB said:

I once politely asked one who did this and the bloke airily said "oh we always keep the engine running after mooring up for hot water as we all have showers at the end of a boating day",

After boating all day wouldn't the calorifier be full of hot water anyway? Think I might have suggested he should fit a larger calorifier if it can't store enough hot water for the daily showers.

On 06/10/2021 at 10:03, MtB said:

Common courtesy makes all the difference. I too like to moor in splendid isolation and I too find my presence attracts other boats to moor next to me. The most annoying type is the boat that rocks up, moors right next to me and then leaves their engine running. I once politely asked one who did this and the bloke airily said "oh we always keep the engine running after mooring up for hot water as we all have showers at the end of a boating day", as if there was nothing whatever wrong with doing this, which technically, there isn't but it pished me off mildly. 

Had he on the other hand, approached me and said "I say old bean, would mind awfully if we keep our engine running for an hour while we all have showers? We need it for the hot water, you see..." I'd have been entirely happy with this as it shows some consideration. In fact I might even have said yes I'll start my engine too then and charge my batts. But no, he knew his rights....

Yes that's very true. I remember when I was living in Tokyo people smoking in restaurants near me used to p*ss me off. It seems odd now that they even allowed smoking in restaurants, but it used to happen here too until not that long ago. One time a Japanese woman on the next table turned to me and my girlfriend and asked if we would mind if she lit up, quite a rarity for the Japanese to ask. Because she'd had the courtesy to ask I actually didn't mind. Weird, because I hate smoking, but her consideration completely disarmed me.

I have asked other boaters in the past if they would mind me running my (quiet) generator slightly out of hours to finish charging and they've always been fine with it. If anyone had said no I would have switched it off.

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I have asked other boaters in the past if they would mind me running my (quiet) generator slightly out of hours to finish charging and they've always been fine with it. If anyone had said no I would have switched it off.

A further factor here is you having the consideration to ask, meant they then knew you didn't intend running it to midnight. Had you not asked, neighbouring boaters might have been fuming quietly because they had no idea when you might turn it off.  

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, MtB said:

A further factor here is you having the consideration to ask, meant they then knew you didn't intend running it to midnight. Had you not asked, neighbouring boaters might have been fuming quietly because they had no idea when you might turn it off.  

That's a big part of it.  A little way down the cut from where I am now there was a boat running their engine after 8pm.  They turned if off at abour 8:45pm so I wasn't that bothered.  But when I was listening to it is was getting stressed thinking it might be still going when I went to bed and keep me awake.  It's the not knowing.  I find traffic jams are far less stressful than they used to be because Mr Google tells me how long I'll be waiting.

i think we have got it right it is just a matter of consideration for others and may be observation of what is happening around us at any time with a little understanding then throw them in the canal.

my spelling gamer yes not that good but i could make any thing my first car dutton phaeton kit car v12 rover 2x100mm side pips triumph 2000 gear box lotus cortina back axial triumph front suspension with 175-13 and 195-13 B50 grabbers and back 4 bags of cement in the boot only when it was raining that gave me a apprenticeship 4 years that was hard but i was one of the best in England and now in france and that is not hard.       

On 04/10/2021 at 20:15, frangar said:

If you moor near me with that attitude you will soon find out that some of us will happily challenge you….you may well find yourself going for an impromptu swim looking for your boat keys….

Really???

I am just trying to understand why it is such a bad thing.

I have stated that I like my music but would level it down as I would here if I thought it would offend, to get people telling me that I said I would play it as loud as I want when I want.  That is not what I said, read the post before attacking your keyboard.

Is the sound of an engine very loud?  I do not know, this is why I ask questions.

And to offer me an impromptu swim without even knowing me, I think some of community are showing their true colors with that one and if  do get a boat you are welcome to try 😄.

On 04/10/2021 at 20:07, Arthur Marshall said:

You need to pay attention to your attitude, really. The bit about playing music whenever and however you want to rather sums it up.

On the cut, in a boat, you are not in a normal residential situation. Sound travels over water, and you don't have thick walls to cut the noise down. The trick is to have some consideration, which appears outside your remit. You want it loud, use headphones.

Fair enough, sentence one was not what I actually said (and therefore within my remit) but sentence two explained the issue, thankyou.

On 04/10/2021 at 21:16, Tony1 said:

Its astonishing how far even a normal conversation can carry along a canal when there's not much wind. 

Many times on quiet days I've heard a conversation that sounded as if it was 20 yards away, but then I see that the boat is still a few hundred yards away. 

Someone playing their tunes as they cruise past can be heard up to half a mile away, and you can often still hear them long after they've passed and gone out of sight. 

I left a podcast playing on my phone as I popped out to ask a nearby boater something about the locks up ahead, and on my way back about ten minutes later I was genuinely surprised at how loud it was as I approached my boat- even though I had considered it to be pretty quiet when I was inside, the sound carried far more than I expected.  

If the volume that you play your music is similar to a normal house, you will find it is heard by everyone for hundreds of yards all around.

If you're in a line of boats moored in a popular spot, you will very quickly become unpopular. 

If you dont mind upsetting and annoying people everywhere you go, and being repeatedly confronted by other boaters, then you will be happy.

But if you play your tunes late at night (when it is very quiet and the sound carries even further), you will not be a popular boater. 

Even on the very popular Llangollen, in high summer, with parties of hire boaters of all sizes and types, there were very, very few times that anyone played music at an offensive volume.

There just seems to be an understanding about it. 

A big factor for why the great majority of people come to boating is because they love a peaceful, quiet environment, so my recommendation would be to use headphones when you want to listen to music loud. Its just the decent thing to do. There's no point spoiling the evening of a few dozen people around you, when you have an easy solution. 

Thankyou, a well thought out and articulated answer.

1 minute ago, Triumph-Rat said:

Really???

I am just trying to understand why it is such a bad thing.

I have stated that I like my music but would level it down as I would here if I thought it would offend, to get people telling me that I said I would play it as loud as I want when I want.  That is not what I said, read the post before attacking your keyboard.

Is the sound of an engine very loud?  I do not know, this is why I ask questions.

And to offer me an impromptu swim without even knowing me, I think some of community are showing their true colors with that one and if  do get a boat you are welcome to try 😄.

Fair enough, sentence one was not what I actually said (and therefore within my remit) but sentence two explained the issue, thankyou.

Play by the rules and you wont have an issue....and yes engine noise travels a long way...as does music or indeed any sound over water....some of us have lived aboard long before it became a fashion and dont want the cut to turn into a linear housing estate with all that means.

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

Play by the rules and you wont have an issue....and yes engine noise travels a long way...as does music or indeed any sound over water....some of us have lived aboard long before it became a fashion and dont want the cut to turn into a linear housing estate with all that means.

Me neither, but if I end up on the water I damn sure want to know what is acceptable and what isn't before I get off the dock.  This is a big thing for me, a potential complete life change at 52yo and I want it to go right!!

I don't listen to music in my house and haven' done for years because my neighbors are so uptight that if they get a whiff of tunes they are banging on the door.

I am looking for somewhere to fit in, because I sure don't where I am.

Not looking to rock boats, just have a bit of peace.

Edited by Triumph-Rat