Boats running their engine outside 8 till 8 rules

Timx

Featured Posts

What gets me is the ignorance, the total lack of concern for anyone else. I've just moored up close to a boat to avoid leaving the proverbial git gap, he's just come back to his boat, seen us sitting on it, ignored us,  turned his engine on, filled our boat with fumes, gone inside leaving the engine running. Then given me a strange look as I moved a little past him up the mooring  leaving  I'm afraid, a substantial gap this time.

If he'd spoken on the way past to say he was going to run it for an hour I'd still have moved, but friendliness would have broken out. Instead, his boat name goes down on my (surprisingly short) list of boats to avoid.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

What gets me is the ignorance, the total lack of concern for anyone else. I've just moored up close to a boat to avoid leaving the proverbial git gap, he's just come back to his boat, seen us sitting on it, ignored us,  turned his engine on, filled our boat with fumes, gone inside leaving the engine running. Then given me a strange look as I moved a little past him up the mooring  leaving  I'm afraid, a substantial gap this time.

If he'd spoken on the way past to say he was going to run it for an hour I'd still have moved, but friendliness would have broken out. Instead, his boat name goes down on my (surprisingly short) list of boats to avoid.

When you reach a certain age there's always the danger that you confuse your growing lack of tolerance/patience with other folks rudeness/lack of consideration.  I've tried to bear this in mind every time someone winds me up, but I still come to the conclusion it's not me, people really are less considerate and more rude today, even if they don't do it on purpose.   

I'm not totally disillusioned with canal life, but I have every excuse to be - if we are moored near to another boat it is always me who make the first approach, otherwise we would be completely ignored.  Similarly the number of boats who pass by with the steerer not even making eye contact is far greater than it used to be.  And, how often these days do you find yourself unable to find a mooring space in popular locations because all the boats are "socially distancing?"  

• Greenie 1

Im being charitable and wondering if its an effect of 18 months of relative social isolation resulting in loss of social interactions.

People in many areas of life are reporting an increase in rudeness and intolerance. 

Ive never seen a larger generator than Sunday evening, it was around 5 foot long and the noise was significant on the stern. It did mean no boats moored nearby though I think it was switched off by 8PM ish. No idea what it was for, a TV surround sound system maybe. They passed us in the morning with it moved inside, dont know how that was done. TBF they passed us  slower than all the others, though maybe that was due to a very sizable generator to propel. 

20 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

When you reach a certain age there's always the danger that you confuse your growing lack of tolerance/patience with other folks rudeness/lack of consideration.  I've tried to bear    

I find the opposite, I have got much easier going as I have got older

22 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I find the opposite, I have got much easier going as I have got older

As an aside, it’s interesting how our attitudes change in different ways as we get older. I know that most folk become more conservative, with both a small and a cap c, as they age. But I’ve become more left wing and tolerant of new ways of thinking and working.

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

And, how often these days do you find yourself unable to find a mooring space in popular locations because all the boats are "socially distancing?"  

Including me now,  which I wasn't, but it reminded me of why I try to keep as far from other boats as I can, though, if on a crowded mooring and no-one is being obnoxious, I'll always move up to fit someone in. But not at the price of being gassed by some pillock in front of me.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Including me now,  which I wasn't, but it reminded me of why I try to keep as far from other boats as I can, though, if on a crowded mooring and no-one is being obnoxious, I'll always move up to fit someone in. But not at the price of being gassed by some pillock in front of me.

I have to say, I consciously try to avoid mooring in places where my bow would be moored up against the stern of another boat, for exactly this reason. Bow-to-bow spaces are always first choice. 

On the subject of moving boats, some years ago I was on the Thames with some friends on a hire boat and at Marlow there was a line of boats with half length gaps between and no one around, so we moved one boat along so there was space for us to moor. No comments in the morning as we left early.

What do people think about us doing that?

Dixi.

31 minutes ago, dixi188 said:

On the subject of moving boats, some years ago I was on the Thames with some friends on a hire boat and at Marlow there was a line of boats with half length gaps between and no one around, so we moved one boat along so there was space for us to moor. No comments in the morning as we left early.

Dixi.

Quite legit I would say, I've certainly done it a few times.

47 minutes ago, dixi188 said:

Dixi.

👍 Thumbs Up Emoji Meaning with Pictures: from A to Z  I would tend to ask first though!

49 minutes ago, dixi188 said:

Dixi.

Never mind untying one and moving it up, when I see this I feel like untying one and just pushing it out into the stream 😂

51 minutes ago, dixi188 said:

What do 

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Never mind untying one and moving it up, when I see this I feel like untying one and just pushing it out into the stream 😂

Did that many years ago now to a BWB tug that had taken up a visitor mooring on the Coventry Canal at Fradley Junction for a week or so despite 'phone calls.

Tied it to a tree in the wood on the offside.

In fairness, on the Thames the gaps could have been due to shorter plastic boats moving off and leaving a 30 to 40 ft. space.

I would have asked if there was anyone around.

I've also had issues with people not wanting to share rings. Had this at Braunston last year when I was adjusting someones rope to get mine on the ring.

Dixi.

1 minute ago, dixi188 said:

In fairness, on the Thames the gaps could have been due to shorter plastic boats moving off and leaving a 30 to 40 ft. space.

I've also had issues with people not wanting to share rings. Had this at Braunston last year when I was adjusting someones rope to get mine on the ring.

Dixi.

Did they utter the words "get off my ring" ooh matron.

I remember coming down Hillmorton a few years ago and in an effort to be helpful, headed for the bottom gate which was manned by one of the crew from the boat in the lock.  "Don't touch my beam" he shouted.   You should be so lucky, I thought.

• Haha 1

And just to round off the grumbling, arrived at Rode Heath where a boat parked opposite the houses has been running what sounds and smells like a fairly knackered Lister, with no sign of the owner on board, for most of the morning. You can understand why the residents opposite some visitor moorings want boats banned.

On 31/08/2021 at 19:05, dixi188 said:

Dixi.

On the Thames I've seen large cruisers taking up all the moorings leaving spaces that were just less than enough to fit another one between each of them. Had they moored closer I could have got Petra in with no bother. Luckily a friend was moored against the opposite bank and invited us to moor against him. Soon after we were safely moored another large cruiser turned up with the skipper talking on his phone and magically the other cruisers all moved up and let him in. 

Keith

57 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

Soon after we were safely moored another large cruiser turned up with the skipper talking on his phone and magically the other cruisers all moved up and let him in. 

Sounds like CCers 'moving day' on the London canals, everyone has an appointed time and they all 'utch up' into the spot the other has just vacated.

On 31/08/2021 at 16:07, Arthur Marshall said:

I moved a little past him up the mooring  leaving  I'm afraid, a substantial gap this time.

What's the problem with leaving a substantial gap? A  boat of a little less than substantial length might fit in it, if required.

I once moored next to a narrowboat and he then started  up his stove forcing us to move due to the fumes filling our boat . I am sure it was a deliberate act .  Sounds like the same in your case . 

isn't  ever boat giving a name and number when you register your licences with the canal boat trust so when you report a problem sorely it would be link to that boat then it should be missioned when they come to renew so there is no need for conflict

this is how it works when flying a aircraft  

1 minute ago, Dave Potter said:

isn't  ever boat giving a name and number when you register your licences with the canal boat trust so when you report a problem sorely it would be link to that boat then it should be missioned when they come to renew so there is no need for conflict

this is how it works when flying a aircraft  

Possibly one problem is whether the terms and conditions are actually legally enforceable, about which there seems to be some doubt.

In the end, you just have to accept that there are some inconsiderate people about, some of whom are unpleasant and aggressive as well, and that you're on a boat with an engine and can, at least, get away from them which you can't do in a house!