Boats running their engine outside 8 till 8 rules

Timx

Featured Posts

There's so many irritations now on the canal by people who don't give a toss about the disturbance they make that engine and genny running is just one of many.

However, boats float and engines move them and there is always somewhere else to be. So many boats out this week I've not even been able to get the trombone out for fear of disturbing folk.

17 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

A lot of people today are clueless.

I think the hire companies tell their hirers they can't go before 8. Just met my son on one, and he was certainly under that impression.

27 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There's so many irritations now on the canal by people who don't give a toss about the disturbance they make that engine and genny running is just one of many.

However, boats float and engines move them and there is always somewhere else to be. So many boats out this week I've not even been able to get the trombone out for fear of disturbing folk.

I think the hire companies tell their hirers they can't go before 8. Just met my son on one, and he was certainly under that impression.

I do hope that's not a euphemism.

14 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Perhaps we could commision a set of stickers, say 4" squares, with " I must not run my engine after 8pm" on them.  On first offense use the peal off sticky on the back to attach to the offending boat cabin side. Second, on the window.  Third, superglue it somewhere inconvenient. 

Like over the starter keyhole?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Hire companies generally impose limitations that do not apply to the rest if the boaters. Like not towing  not cruising at night etc. Most reasonable.

3 hours ago, tehmarks said:

@Timx: I gave up reading this thread after page two, but I suspect the reason you've had such unpleasant reactions to trying to talk to those running engines out of hours is because of your utterly rubbish attitude.

That does seem likely. I've spent a career getting people to do what they might not necessarily want to do and there are often subtle means of doing it. If I was being bothered by someone's engine running I might well approach them and say something like,"I know you have to charge your batteries but the wind seems to have turned and it's blowing the exhaust into my boat". The sub text to that would be that it's not really his 'fault', it is the 'fault' of the wind so it isn't seen as a direct criticism. If he then gets a*rsey about it we respond in kind;), but by appearing to be helpful at the outset can usually de-escalate most things. Humour is often a good weapon as well, so long as it isn't sarcasm. If however your first action is to confront, then you tend to get the reaction you don't necessarily want. On the other hand if one thinks 'reporting it to CRT' constitutes 'doing something' then so be it.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

What if it wants to be a concertina when it grows up?

Concertinas are just bonsai accordions. If you don't keep the roots trimmed the results can be truly terrible.

All these things should be banned after 8pm. I will write to CRT suggesting this should be included in their next set of T&Cs, and that the presence of such things should be an immediate  BS fail.

Remind me, what does BS stand for  again?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

I seem to remember that when the Southern Stratford was being run by the National Trust in the 1970's, it was a condition that navigation was only to be made during daylight hours. Not that we wanted to navigate at night anyway, conditions of hire prevented it.

Edited by Ronaldo47

10 hours ago, tehmarks said:

@Timx: I gave up reading this thread after page two, but I suspect the reason you've had such unpleasant reactions to trying to talk to those running engines out of hours is because of your utterly rubbish attitude.

But it’s page four..

17 hours ago, Ange said:

Timx you said in your OP you wanted to know what other people do. But you attack them if they don't give the right answer, question their IQ, in fact act like a complete idiot.

Just get on with it Tim, complain to CRT if you like but there's no need to be a drama queen online (where you can be very brave lol)

If you really care what people think listen to them, engage with them and have another think about your opinions.

Not expecting that but you might surprise us 

Who is “us” don’t try to hide in the crowd. 

• Horror 1

6 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I've spent a career getting people to do what they might not necessarily want to do and there are often subtle means of doing it.

Hmm , Matt Hancock thought the same till he was discovered too.

On 29/08/2021 at 02:21, frahkn said:

On your original question, if you have not got an appetite for potential confrontation then your only alternatives (put up or move) have already been explained to you. Do you have a problem with comprehension? Possibly due to a lack of IQ?

I did explain that I had confronted people on three occasions, and it didn’t go well, so I don’t do that now, I just report to crt.  But you did spell I.Q. adequately.

Thanks for all replies, it’s just me who reports to crt then for inconsiderate behaviour, I hope more people do it in future, take pics and videos of the same, hopefully to remind people to be considerate. The thread is getting a bit personal, which wasn’t my intention, I was having a moan because I had two days on the run , in different locations of it happening, anyway, let’s all relax and have fun boating, be nice to each other.

4 hours ago, Timx said:

Who is “us” don’t try to hide in the crowd. 

What an odd question.

You take care and try to chill out, boating is meant to be relaxing.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Timx said:

Thanks for all replies, it’s just me who reports to crt then for inconsiderate behaviour, I hope more people do it in future, take pics and videos of the same, hopefully to remind people to be considerate. The thread is getting a bit personal, which wasn’t my intention, I was having a moan because I had two days on the run , in different locations of it happening, anyway, let’s all relax and have fun boating, be nice to each other.

Two days isn't bad, really. I made the mistake of going up the Llangollen in August last year and every single day of the three week trip was a nightmare of noise and other inconsiderate behaviour. I think I moved after mooring up most days. Nearly sold the boat when I got back.

8 hours ago, Timx said:

Just to be clear, I wouldn't have any problem with reporting inconsiderate boaters to CRT but only after I had approached the offender first.  On every occasion I have "challenged" someone regarding noise, the person concerned has conceded and I honestly thing most would, maybe you have just been unlucky.   You have to have a very thick skin to carry on behaving in a way that you know is upsetting others, in my experience these people are rare.  But if you do report to CRT having tried and failed to get someone to correct their behaviour, I believe CRT will take some form of action even if it's only a warning letter/email.