Boats running their engine outside 8 till 8 rules

Timx

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, Timx said:

Well I think it’s part of the license agreement, so now I do not confront, unless I can’t stand it any longer, I report to canal and river trust, I did just that last night, snitch I know.

I suppose that the question for me would be 'what advice were you hoping to get?' For me if something is important enough to do something about, I will, if not I wont. To be honest your report to CRT will probably go straight into the CBA bucket. They don't have anyone working between the restricted hours, nor are they likely to anytime soon so there is essentially nothing that they are going to do about it. So was it important enough for you to speak with the other boater? or not?

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

The answer is to have an electric boat.

As electric motors are practically silent you could run your engine anytime anywhere.  .😜😄

Yep, charge your batteries any time of day or night...

• Haha 1

I know this has been covered here before, but I find it so very irritating to be moored up next to a boat that's had all day to fire up their engine but they leave it till I want an early evening beer outside.

The people  next to me here in Gloucester Docks have been around all day, but they've left it till 6.45 to start the engine, as last night.

To me it's just bloody thoughtless.

Is it because he can?

I do my battery recharging in the morning with my Honda genny when no one cares about disturbance and the world is full of bustle.

Edited by JamesWoolcock

1 hour ago, JamesWoolcock said:

I know this has been covered here before, but I find it so very irritating to be moored up next to a boat that's had all day to fire up their engine but they leave it till I want an early evening beer outside.

The people  next to me here in Gloucester Docks have been around all day, but they've left it till 6.45 to start the engine, as last night.

Is it because he can?

I do my battery recharging in the morning with my Honda genny when no one cares about disturbance and the world is full of bustle.

We were moored behind you on the wall & your genny is the quietest genny I've ever heard !

We ran our engine in the morning & then again for an  hour at teatime while I dried my hair.We had a little 'chat' with a cruiser who was running his engine at 9pm & he then turned it off !

Edited by The Bearwood Boster
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

We were moored behind you on the wall & your genny is the quietest genny I've ever heard !

We ran our engine in the morning & then again for an  hour at teatime while I dried my hair.We had a little 'chat' with a cruiser who was running his engine at 9pm & he then turned it off !

Thanks for that.

The onboard diesel Fischer Panda is even quieter and you wouldnt hear that at all because I care about disturbing people.

Just now, system 4-50 said:

Could it be that boaters who need to run the engine at night despite cruising during the day, and boaters who leave it 'til late to run them have dying domestic batteries with negligible capacity so they are watching TV off the engine?

Yes, very likely, so they're delaying paying for good batteries at the expense of everyone's peace and quiet.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Thanks for that.

The onboard diesel Fischer Panda is even quieter and you wouldnt hear that at all because I care about disturbing people.

We have a hospital silencer &  soundproofing in our engine bay.Our engine is pretty quiet but we were well impressed with your quiet genny.We've been at Tewkesbury before a little foray onto the Avon.Yet again,had to have a wee chat with the boat in front who decided to start his engine at 10 past 8 !

Perhaps we could commision a set of stickers, say 4" squares, with " I must not run my engine after 8pm" on them.  On first offense use the peal off sticky on the back to attach to the offending boat cabin side. Second, on the window.  Third, superglue it somewhere inconvenient. 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I suppose that the question for me would be 'what advice were you hoping to get?' For me if something is important enough to do something about, I will, if not I wont. To be honest your report to CRT will probably go straight into the CBA bucket. They don't have anyone working between the restricted hours, nor are they likely to anytime soon so there is essentially nothing that they are going to do about it. So was it important enough for you to speak with the other boater? or not?

I have answered that question already, are you annoyed by me bringing this subject up

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

Perhaps we could commision a set of stickers, say 4" squares, with " I must not run my engine after 8pm" on them.  On first offense use the peal off sticky on the back to attach to the offending boat cabin side. Second, on the window.  Third, superglue it somewhere inconvenient. 

that is to say, somewhere inconvenient on the boat!

• Sad 1

We were coming down the Macc on one occasion. An elderly solo boater asked if we were heading for Stoke. We confirmed this, at which point, he issued a warning.

" Don't stop in Stoke. I was watching TV the other night, when all of sudden, just as news at ten started, I lost all power. Some vandals threw my running genny in the cut!"

Didn't have the heart to suggest this could have been a frustrated fellow boater.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

They are impressive when installed well

Wet exhaust through a separator.

It was made in less than an hour, if I remember right out of offcut bits of steel by 'Diesel' Dave  Dickerson when he was at Streethay Wharf. Cheap as chips and makes all the difference. 

33 minutes ago, Timx said:

I have answered that question already, are you annoyed by me bringing this subject up

Why? should I be?? All I was stating was the fact that is something is important enough, do something about it (writing to CRT doesn't really cut it to be honest) and if it isn't, don't.

5 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Why? should I be?? All I was stating was the fact that is something is important enough, do something about it (writing to CRT doesn't really cut it to be honest) and if it isn't, 

9 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Why? should I be?? All I was stating was the fact that is something is important enough, do something about it (writing to CRT doesn't really cut it to be honest) and if it isn't, don't.

I have answered that question already

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Is it because he can?

His batteries may be full, but he has the dinner washing up to do and then have a shower. Cauliflowers are often small, and sobadly installed that only half of the hot water is available.

Morco's are so civilised.

Edited by Ex Brummie

Your original post asked what do you do? People told you what they do in real life situations and you've been very dismissive/ confrontational. I'm not sure what you are expecting people to come up with as your right answer. 

Edited by Ianws
Clarity
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

His batteries may be full, but he has the dinner washing up to do and then have a shower. Cauliflowers are often small, and sobadly installed that only half of the hot water is available.

Morco's are so civilised.

Morco?

Got one of those too!

Timx you said in your OP you wanted to know what other people do. But you attack them if they don't give the right answer, question their IQ, in fact act like a complete idiot.

Just get on with it Tim, complain to CRT if you like but there's no need to be a drama queen online (where you can be very brave lol)

If you really care what people think listen to them, engage with them and have another think about your opinions.

Not expecting that but you might surprise us 

• Greenie 4
  • Horror 1

4 hours ago, Ange said:

Timx you said in your OP you wanted to know what other people do. But you attack them if they don't give the right answer, question their IQ, in fact act like a complete idiot.

Except it is never clear what the right answer is for him - sit there and fume I guess, and then moan on CWDF that rules is rules.

Tam

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Except it is never clear what the right answer is for him - sit there and fume I guess, and then moan on CWDF that rules is rules.

Tam

I think Tim wants the after-hours engine runners to read this thread, realise the error of their ways and consequently stop doing it.

• Love 1