Boats running their engine outside 8 till 8 rules

Timx

Featured Posts

This very rarely happens to me. I think the last time was about 6 weeks ago near Bettisfield on the Llan.

There was a boat maybe 150 yards behind me which had shown no sign of life all day (not that I was particularly attentive of course- I'm far too lazy to be attentive to the comings and goings of boaters). 

But for some reason, its engine started puttering at some time after 10pm. 

If he had been 5 yards from me, I think I would have been a tad disappointed, but at 150 yards it was not very audible anyway. 

So I was inclined towards charitable thoughts. Perhaps the mysterious boater had knackered batteries, or some other problem that meant he needed a recharge at 10pm. Perhaps he wanted to watch TV.

I can certainly remember- with my dreadfully anaemic old lead acid batteries- feeling a frequent sense of 'charge anxiety', and of course disappointment, because they had once again let the side down by falling to an uninspiring 12.2 volts before 9pm.

I think there was one occasion, before I acquired my virile young lithium beasts, when I ran my engine from 8pm to 9pm. What can I say- I was desperate, young and impetuous. 

OK, well I was definitely desperate. 

But this transgression was committed on a long and deserted stretch of the shroppie, with no boats in sight in either direction.

Whilst awaiting arrest and imprisonment, I pondered the age old dilemma- if an engine runs after 8pm and there is no boater around to hear it, has it really run? 

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think you took a long time to come to that decision, 🙂 

And how’s that?

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is he your friend, is he your boaty friend ?

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are you a bullying friend, back up other people to bully people out of their thoughts to agree with yours?

Tim i've got a confession to make....

If i was on a remote mooring with no other boats in sight I couldn't give a stuff and if I needed to I would run my engine (and on occasion have) due to duff batteries/for hot water  or whatever... however I wouldn't if I was moored close to other boats.  Hope that doesn't upset you too much...  and before you ask yes I have had my IQ tested and I'm above average (or was at the time years and alcohol may have reduced that a bit now... 🙂 )

Feel free to report me to CRT of it makes you feel better and ill consider this my good deed for the day...

I think you started off with a reasonable question but then let yourself down.

• Greenie 4

4 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

If i was on a remote mooring with no other boats in sight I couldn't give a stuff and if I needed to I would run my engine (and on occasion have) due to duff batteries/for hot water  or whatever... however I wouldn't if I was moored close to other boats.  Hope that doesn't upset you too much...  and before you ask yes I have had my IQ tested and I'm above average (or was at the time years and alcohol may have reduced that a bit now... 🙂 )

Feel free to report me to CRT of it makes you feel better and ill consider this my good deed for the day...

If you read the rules , they also state, if you are out in the country with no one else about,you can run your engine outside these rules., you did start off with a reasoned reply, but then let yourself down

9 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Why did you have your I Q tested, who questioned it , and for what reason…..

5 minutes ago, Timx said:

If you read the rules , they also state, if you are out in the country with no one else about,you can run your engine outside these rules., you did start off with a reasoned reply, but then let yourself down

Why did you have your I Q tested, who questioned it , and for what reason…..

How many times have you had to have it tested?

I used to send a Mensa request questionnaire to one of my colleagues, but I used to spell his name slightly wrong, and his address out by one number, so his neighbour, would have to keep handing it to him saying , you got your address wrong again,..each month.

2 hours ago, Timx said:

I used to send a Mensa request questionnaire to one of my colleagues, but I used to spell his name slightly wrong, and his address out by one number, so his neighbour, would have to keep handing it to him saying , you got your address wrong again,..each month.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.

On your original question, if you have not got an appetite for potential confrontation then your only alternatives (put up or move) have already been explained to you. Do you have a problem with comprehension? Possibly due to a lack of IQ?

• Greenie 3

9 hours ago, Tony1 said:

Perhaps he wanted to watch TV.

Many replies have mentioned "TV"

Preventing the freezer defrosting is essential - Some would argue a shower is essential - watching TV certainly isn't (cue "well, I couldn't put the TV on so the only alternative was to tune my banjo!")

12 hours ago, MHS said:

The obvious option if you want to run your engine after 8.00pm is to move your boat. There’s no problem cruising after 8.00pm, so cruise up to nearest winding point and return to your mooring. 

In Chagall's case, stuck because of a stoppage, this may well not be possible. Generally, the 8 - 8 rule is broken by those who simply don't want to move, either within the 14 day limit or not. It's even more annoying when, like my episode yesterday  you know for certain it's someone who had just cruised down at least 15 locks, so surely must have reasonably charged batteries!

Regarding rules as guidelines, of course  means basically you can do what you like and so can everyone else,  except you only do it when it's reasonable, and they are inconsiderate bastards.

12 hours ago, Timx said:

So, what should we do when people are ruining our day, after a lovely cruise, we sit outside , glass of wine enjoying the view, and boat in front of you puts there engine on past the rule times. He may have excuses, beware, or not care.

Two options. First, just move. It's a boat. You may only have to move to the other end of a 48 hour mooring (I've done that on several occasions).

Second, have an early start at 5am and move off slowly, revving loudly as you go past and making as much smoke as you can (not done that, but thought about it!). Second option also annoys everyone else, which is a drawback, but depends on how much you care.

Obviously no-one on here has encountered a boat on the K&A called Sulis whose owner runs his engine from about 10 pm until well into the early hours every night.

He has been doing this for years since he was told to leave Thames and Kennet Marina and set up home at Tesco moorings.

Keith

There is also a boat I've seen several times on the north Oxford with a large sign on the back saying (something like): "BEWARE, THIS BOAT RUNS ENGINE AFTER 8PM AND LATE AT NIGHT."

I think it might also say "DO NOT MOOR HERE IF THIS BOTHERS YOU."

1 hour ago, MtB said:

There is also a boat I've seen several times on the north Oxford with a large sign on the back saying (something like): "BEWARE, THIS BOAT RUNS ENGINE AFTER 8PM AND LATE AT NIGHT."

I think it might also say "DO NOT MOOR HERE IF THIS BOTHERS YOU."

Is that a womans boat?

Bod

One on a private mooring on the lower Macc who runs a very noisy genny till midnight. When asked to knock it off gets abusive. Sadly, it's opposite one of the nicest visitor moorings.

There are more people, therefore there are more pillocks. There are also more people with huge elec demands on rheir boats, unlike when some of us started this lark when you had gas cooker, fridge and hot water and a single domestic battery did the rest.

It's one reason why it's so much less fun now than it was thirty years ago. This is not the Age of Aquarius, but of Entitlement.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, dixi188 said:

I got told off recently somewhere on the T&M for starting my engine around 7am to set off. The complainant said it was not allowed to run an engine before 8am for any reason.

They are of course, wrong, in case you were in doubt. 

It is the running of engines for the purposes other than navigation 8pm to 8am that is banned, IIRC.

56 minutes ago, Bod said:

Is that a womans boat?

Bod

I don't know.

Why do you ask? Are women exempt from the rules?!

20 minutes ago, dixi188 said:

I got told off recently somewhere on the T&M for starting my engine around 7am to set off. The complainant said it was not allowed to run an engine before 8am for any reason.

A lot of people today think that and also think you shouldn't be boating before 8an or after 8pm

17 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I can think of several occasions when this has happened to me and on every occasion the boater concerned has immediately turned the engine off.  I am not at all an intimidating figure but on one occasion a huge tattooed guy on the boat in front fired up his engine just as my wife was settling down to watch Poldark... and that was more than enough incentive.

Never mind engines though, one time we were on a marina berth and about 9 o'clock the guy on the boat next door started tuning his banjo - if there's anything worse than hearing a banjo played it's listening to someone tuning the thing.  It seemed to go on for ages but was probably only about ten minutes before I snapped and banged furiously on his window demanding he stopped making that awful racket.  The poor fella was very apologetic I have to say and I apologised for being rude, but when you are only a few feet from the next boat certain sounds can be very intrusive.   

If he had been next to me I would have offered to bring my banjo round and join him in a duel duet. 😀

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, MtB said:

There is a lady on the Oxford with an all black boat with roofboxes and no visible markings who is quite verbally aggressive and in possession of a colourful vocabulary that she will allegedly use with little provocation on passing boats. At least two of the other shares on our boat have experienced it, we’ve seen the boat and passed it with no problem though. Possibly thats who @Bod is referring to??

1 hour ago, MtB said:

They are of course, wrong, in case you were in doubt. 

It is the running of engines for the purposes other than navigation 8pm to 8am that is banned, IIRC.

I don't know.

A year or two back, there was a boat on the Leicester line, with a big sign on the back saying generator running till late at night etc.  A small boat 30-35 foot, old, owned by a woman.

Wondering if it was her.

Bod

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Bod said:

A year or two back, there was a boat on the Leicester line, with a big sign on the back saying generator running till late at night etc.  A small boat 30-35 foot, old, owned by a woman.

Wondering if it was her.

Bod

I can't actually remember. So absorbed by the cheek of the sign, I forgot to note any details of the boat! 

Didn't see the owner during any of my sightings either.

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

A lot of people today think that and also think you shouldn't be boating before 8an or after 8pm

6 o clock in the morning for me is the perfect time as it is so peaceful and boating until 10 o clock at night is enjoyable every now and then.