Boats running their engine outside 8 till 8 rules

Timx

Featured Posts

Just now, Timx said:

Well  there is always options, you took the easiest, which probably annoyed other people, did you have a nice day in work ,?

What options please, I genuinely would like to know?   Did you enjoy your day boating?   Such a shame you spoiled it for yourself by complaining. 

1 minute ago, Timx said:

Have you thought about going into a marina, rather than put put people into a situation where it would be rude not to say yes. So you also feel that the rules are not the rules, they are flexible, if they don’t suit you.

Well  bugger that, I had a longer polite reply to one of your earlier posts but as you seem keen for confrontation I can't be bothered, just to say a physical fight is a police matter, nothing to do with CRT

8 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

If people explain & you have an idea of how long it will be,no problem.It's the ones who've sat there all day & then turn their engine/ genny on 9pm ish  to watch telly-they've had all day !!!

Agreed  :)

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Chagall said:

I had no other options, unless I was to avoid a soaked kitchen floor and ruined freezer goods, does that make me selfish for the two nights in 12 years of boating where it was needed to so transgress?   Do please explain the two options I might have chosen?    

I suppose that's the great disadvantage of a boat that relies on electric for everything, and expecting a boat to have all the advantages that a house has. As both my fridge and water heating is gas, leaving the boat for a while doesn't cause me any problems.  I can appreciate that people want washing machines, microwaves and freezers on board  but it's bound to cause problems and there's no backup possible. Solar presumably isn't enough (understandable in this country), even if one bothers to have it.

What breaking the rules when it suits you, whether you think it's justifiable or not, does do, though, is show that that you don't believe they are actually rules that must be followed, but guidelines, the acceptability and application of which are more or less defined by the individual. Which is an interesting philosophical position, and, of course, is the underlying principle of anarchy.

Welcome to the club.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Timx said:

Yeah, because , one time it turned into a physical fight on a river, once was a crying girl, whom I never spoke to just videoed her boat, and next lots of abuse, I am a cc, so these events are rare, because I have stopped complaining. I have no problem contacting people nicely, but their reaction has put me off doing it again.hence my question. That’s all it is , a question, why are you so confrontational.

Some of your responses have come over as very confrontational!

• Greenie 1

My responses, maybe, it’s a discussion forum, I disagree with boaters, thinking the rules do not apply to them because of …. It’s not convenient, I can’t cope, I have to do as I wish because I have not planned ahead.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I suppose that's the great disadvantage of a boat that relies on electric for everything, and expecting a boat to have all the advantages that a house has. As both my fridge and water heating is gas, leaving the boat for a while doesn't cause me any problems.  I can appreciate that people want washing machines, microwaves and freezers on board  but it's bound to cause problems and there's no backup possible. Solar presumably isn't enough (understandable in this country), even if one bothers to have it.

What breaking the rules when it suits you, whether you think it's justifiable or not, does do, though, is show that that you don't believe they are actually rules that must be followed, but guidelines, the acceptability and application of which are more or less defined by the individual. Which is an interesting philosophical position, and, of course, is the underlying principle of anarchy.

Welcome to the club.

Yes I see them as guidelines, to be used with intelligent reasoning. It is interesting that those that see them as hard and fast rules will usually smugly proclaim to be using a boat in the only correct way with no energy high items.   Normally the times I cruise,  away from the umbilical cord of electricity, will be during trips taken whilst on holiday and so will not need to run the engine out of hours. This particular occasion it has been unavoidable due to a three week stoppage by CRT and I have needed to return to work, driving some distance and hence 10 hours away  The options are limited, on this occasion as I have explained it was impossible to forewarn the neighbour of the problem.   

It isn't always about selfishness nor indeed anarchy! 

2 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Yes I see them as guidelines, to be used with intelligent reasoning. It is interesting that those that see them as hard and fast rules will usually smugly proclaim to be using a boat in the only correct way with no energy high items.   Normally the times I cruise,  away from the umbilical cord of electricity, will be during trips taken whilst on holiday and so will not need to run the engine out of hours. This particular occasion it has been unavoidable due to a three week stoppage by CRT and I have needed to return to work, driving some distance and hence 10 hours away  The options are limited, on this occasion as I have explained it was impossible to forewarn the neighbour of the problem.   

It isn't always about selfishness nor indeed anarchy! 

Has your I Q been assessed?

• Unimpressed 1

Why would you expect boaters to be different to people in other walks of life?.  Like the people who jump the bus queue; park on yellow lines 'for a couple of minutes'; play music in the park or on the beach; block junctions in their cars.

Some people are just obnoxious. The last time I asked someone to stop running their engines, we had moored at Alrewas at 5:30 behind 2 boats with engines running. At 8:10 I asked them to stop and was told we can run them till 8:00 o clock. I then replied that was why I had waited till 10 past. They both switched off. Bang on 8:00 am the next morning they both started up again.

• Greenie 1

The obvious option if you want to run your engine after 8.00pm is to move your boat. There’s no problem cruising after 8.00pm, so cruise up to nearest winding point and return to your mooring. 

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, Ex Brummie said:

Why would you expect boaters to be different to people in other walks of life?.  Like the people who jump the bus queue; park on yellow lines 'for a couple of minutes'; play music in the park or on the beach; block junctions in their cars.

Some people are just obnoxious. The last time I asked someone to stop running their engines, we had moored at Alrewas at 5:30 behind 2 boats with engines running. At 8:10 I asked them to stop and was told we can run them till 8:00 o clock. I then replied that was why I had waited till 10 past. They both switched off. Bang on 8:00 am the next morning they both started up again.

Well I think it’s part of the license agreement, so now I do not confront, unless I can’t stand it any longer, I report to canal and river trust, I did just that last night, snitch I know.

11 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Yes I see them as guidelines, to be used with intelligent reasoning

Is it not fair to ask with which intelligence one is quoting ?

5 minutes ago, Timx said:

Well I think it’s part of the license agreement, so now I do not confront, unless I can’t stand it any longer, I report to canal and river trust, I did just that last night, snitch I know.

Is it not fair to ask with which intelligence one is quoting ?

Yes, it is part of the licence agreement, but what do you think CaRT will do about it? With the exception of Road Traffic Offences, what action is taken against other social nuisances that move about?

Edited by Ex Brummie

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Ad hominem attacks are quite unpleasant. Play the ball not the man, eh?

Is it not fair to question the intelligence of that of which is quoted, if it is a defence of their actions. ?

2 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Yes, it is part of the licence agreement, but what do you think CaRT will do about it? With the exception of Road Traffic Offences, what action is taken against other social nuisances that move about?

So, what should we do when people are ruining our day, after a lovely cruise, we sit outside , glass of wine enjoying the view, and boat in front of you puts there engine on past the rule times. He may have excuses, beware, or not care.

5 minutes ago, Timx said:

So, what should we do when people are ruining our day, after a lovely cruise, we sit outside , glass of wine enjoying the view, and boat in front of you puts there engine on past the rule times. He may have excuses, beware, or not care.

As has already been said, put up, shut up or move.

There is a definite disadvantage to running your engine and annoying others out of the usual permitted hours.

You cannot hear the battery drill making a hole in your boat on the waterline for the noise of your own engine.

I had this situation with a neighbour (Ex Copper) with his gasless boat. He would run his engine at anytime before he went to bed to brew up his nightly cuppa. He seemed to think that it was his given right because he could not boil water any other way and a drink was preparing food. He did not do it again after my son and 3 of his friends stayed on my boat one night and pointed out the error of his ways. He left the marina shortly after and many of us breathed a sigh of relief.

I am fairly tolerant and I understand that sometimes people need to run their engines after 8pm. The only time my tolerance was tested was on the K&A when the boat in front ran his engine for a third time after 8pm, around 10:45 actually when it was to enable them to watch TV. I was furious and marched up to their boat and banged on the roof. The engine went off immediately and a bloke came out and apologised. I was ready for a fight as I was so mad but was pleased it didn’t come to that. They moored near us in different places the next two nights but there was no repeat of the behaviour.

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Skeg said:

I am fairly tolerant and I understand that sometimes people need to run their engines after 8pm. The only time my tolerance was tested was on the K&A when the boat in front ran his engine for a third time after 8pm, around 10:45 actually when it was to enable them to watch TV. I was furious and marched up to their boat and banged on the roof. The engine went off immediately and a bloke came out and apologised. I was ready for a fight as I was so mad but was pleased it didn’t come to that. They moored near us in different places the next two nights but there was no repeat of the behaviour.

That was pretty much my reason for original question, but I think it is exceptional for me to find a reason, why I would need to run my engine after eight o clock, have never done it yet, it’s selfish behaviour in my opinion of those who do not plan ahead , or find more difficult options that might cost them money, easier to do what they think they need and possibly annoy other people.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

No. It's just plain bloody rude. 

So in their defence, they say, they are intelligent, and they use that as a defence, and I ask, but are they, as their behaviour appears to show otherwise, to question that is rude. How British. However I like Britishness, but it is deployed in this instance without true reason sir.

3 minutes ago, Timx said:

So in their defence, they say, they are intelligent, and they use that as a defence, and I ask, but are they, as their behaviour appears to show otherwise, to question that is rude. How British. However I like Britishness, but it is deployed in this instance without true reason sir.

And I thought running your engine outside the rules was rude, oh well , I am in the minority.

1 hour ago, Timx said:

I think I’m complaining about selfish people, some have a boat, I accept that, as said , I don’t confront after some bad experiences, but do you, or do you complain to crt, or do you just ignore it.

How loud is the engine? I would just put up with the background hum of a modern engine with a decent silencer, but an old engine with a rattly exhaust or a loud vintage engine might be more difficult to tolerate.

I had to put up with a load of screaming drunk idiots having a barbeque a couple of months ago. They were going until about 2am. But it was only one night. I got going very early the next morning and sounded my horn several times next to their boats as I left to wake them up! 🤣

• Haha 2