Boats running their engine outside 8 till 8 rules

Timx

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Timx said:

What do you do, 

The last twice this happened to me (all be it a long time ago and it was a genny not an engine) I asked them to stop and they did.

I have tried to not do anything, apart from complain to canal trust, as the three times before I have complained to boat owner, has not gone well. So now I don’t , but it gets so annoying when you want to enjoy last of these summer evenings , and boat ahead starts his engine at half eight at night, for an hour, and you can see he is watching tv. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Timx said:

I have tried to not do anything, apart from complain to canal trust, as the three times before I have complained to boat owner, has not gone well. So now I don’t , but it gets so annoying when you want to enjoy last of these summer evenings , and boat ahead starts his engine at half eight at night, for an hour, and you can see he is watching tv. 

Then you have the following options

1 Put up with it.

2 Move.

Beyond that I cant think of another option.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Then you have the following options

1 Put up with it.

2 Move.

Beyond that I cant think of another option.

At half past eight at night you advise me to move, or accept anti social rule breaking behaviour, wow , thanks for your input, but it doesn’t answer my question, I wasn’t asking for your advice, I was asking what you do, I have told you what I do.

• Horror 1

Just now, Timx said:

At half past eight at night you advise me to move, or accept anti social rule breaking behaviour, wow , thanks for your input, but it doesn’t answer my question, I wasn’t asking for your advice, I was asking what you do, I have told you what I do.

I actually didnt advise you to do anything. I suggested you have two options after you dismissed my earlier one by suggesting speaking to the offenders 'didnt end well'.

So your options are the same, you either put up with it or move if you think speaking to them will not end well.

The options I suggested are in fact what I would do. Of course if you feel its too dark/late to move safely then you are going to have to put up with it and move in the morning.

I think I’m complaining about selfish people, some have a boat, I accept that, as said , I don’t confront after some bad experiences, but do you, or do you complain to crt, or do you just ignore it.

Just sometimes it is impossible to let those know about problems, I for instance over the last two days have needed to leave my boat alone in an unplanned area (CRT stoppages)  while I attended work, and would be out for over ten hours and not back till 7.45pm, I had tried to explain to those around me for the previous day and all were okay with me running for a half hour or so past 8pm, today those people had moved on and another boat taken up on the offside, I could not yell across the distance my intentions and explanations and so I had to hope for understanding. 

It isn't always about selfish reasons. 

I can think of several occasions when this has happened to me and on every occasion the boater concerned has immediately turned the engine off.  I am not at all an intimidating figure but on one occasion a huge tattooed guy on the boat in front fired up his engine just as my wife was settling down to watch Poldark... and that was more than enough incentive.

Never mind engines though, one time we were on a marina berth and about 9 o'clock the guy on the boat next door started tuning his banjo - if there's anything worse than hearing a banjo played it's listening to someone tuning the thing.  It seemed to go on for ages but was probably only about ten minutes before I snapped and banged furiously on his window demanding he stopped making that awful racket.  The poor fella was very apologetic I have to say and I apologised for being rude, but when you are only a few feet from the next boat certain sounds can be very intrusive.   

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I actually didnt advise you to do anything. I suggested you have two options after you dismissed my earlier one by suggesting speaking to the offenders 'didnt end well'.

So your options are the same, you either put up with it or move if you think speaking to them will not end well.

The options I suggested are in fact what I would do. Of course if you feel its too dark/late to move safely then you are going to have to put up with it and move in the morning.

Do you run your engine outside the eight to eight rule, ?

1 minute ago, Timx said:

I think I’m complaining about selfish people, some have a boat, I accept that, as said , I don’t confront after some bad experiences, but do you, or do you complain to crt, or do you just ignore it.

I certainly wouldn't complain to C&RT. As has already been said there may be a valid reason for running their engine but you won't know that unless you speak to them which you seem reluctant to do. In your shoes, it would depend how bad it was what I would do. For example if the fumes from their engine was entering my boat, I would certainly ask them if they could possibly switch off their engine. If however, it is just the noise, I would probably just put up with it as I would be moving off in the morning anyway. 

haggis

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Just sometimes it is impossible to let those know about problems, I for instance over the last two days have needed to leave my boat alone in an unplanned area (CRT stoppages)  while I attended work, and would be out for over ten hours and not back till 7.45pm, I had tried to explain to those around me for the previous day and all were okay with me running for a half hour or so past 8pm, today those people had moved on and another boat taken up on the offside, I could not yell across the distance my intentions and explanations and so I had to hope for understanding. 

It isn't always about selfish reasons. 

Hmm , not too sure about that, rules are rules, unless they don’t fit your circumstances. So did you have other options? I can think of a couple.

5 minutes ago, Timx said:

Do you run your engine outside the eight to eight rule, ?

No. I didnt when we had our boat. Im totally unclear as to why you would ask that.

Just now, Timx said:

Hmm , not too sure about that, rules are rules, unless they don’t fit your circumstances. So did you have other options? I can think of a couple.

I had no other options, unless I was to avoid a soaked kitchen floor and ruined freezer goods, does that make me selfish for the two nights in 12 years of boating where it was needed to so transgress?   Do please explain the two options I might have chosen?    

I've had mixed experiences, been told to sod off by one guy who started his engine at 10pm, and who then ran it, I suspect deliberately, until 3am, while another bloke, a fearsome looking giant who looked like he'd given up being a biker as it was too sissy, who started an engine next to me at six on a sunday morning, apologised, switched it off explaining he didn't have a watch. 

These days,  just like today, I tend to sigh deeply, possibly swear a bit,  and move the boat. Life's too short to bother with some of the selfish cretins who drive boats these days. The rest of the boaters make up for them. And there usually is a quiet bit further on. As, tonight, there is.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Timx said:

And of course a bit of flexibility helps the world go round

I've done it once or twice, long days at work or needing a hot shower, I just check with the neighbours, explain the issue and I've never had a problem. 

In a similar vein I've had the neighbours pop over and ask do I mind and it's fine

6 minutes ago, haggis said:

I certainly wouldn't complain to C&RT. As has already been said there may be a valid reason for running their engine but you won't know that unless you speak to them which you seem reluctant to do. In your shoes, it would depend how bad it was what I would do. For example if the fumes from their engine was entering my boat, I would certainly ask them if they could possibly switch off their engine. If however, it is just the noise, I would probably just put up with it as I would be moving off in the morning anyway. 

haggis

Yeah, because , one time it turned into a physical fight on a river, once was a crying girl, whom I never spoke to just videoed her boat, and next lots of abuse, I am a cc, so these events are rare, because I have stopped complaining. I have no problem contacting people nicely, but their reaction has put me off doing it again.hence my question. That’s all it is , a question, why are you so confrontational.

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

No. I didnt when we had our boat. Im totally unclear as to why you would ask that.

Only by your defensiveness, I will try not to moor by you.

• Horror 1

2 minutes ago, Timx said:

Yeah, because , one time it turned into a physical fight on a river, once was a crying girl, whom I never spoke to just videoed her boat, and next lots of abuse, I am a cc, so these events are rare, because I have stopped complaining. I have no problem contacting people nicely, but their reaction has put me off doing it again.hence my question. That’s all it is , a question, why are you so confrontational.

If that is aimed at me, you are way off the mark. I, like others, was trying to be helpful telling you what we would do (as you asked us to) but I am no longer bothered so will leave you to it

haggis 

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, Timx said:

Only by your defensiveness, I will try not to moor by you.

I wasnt being defensive.

Again I'm not sure why you think that.

But like Haggis (who is actually probably one of the least confrontational people on here) I too will leave you to it.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

11 minutes ago, Chagall said:

I had no other options, unless I was to avoid a soaked kitchen floor and ruined freezer goods, does that make me selfish for the two nights in 12 years of boating where it was needed to so transgress?   Do please explain the two options I might have chosen?    

Well  there is always options, you took the easiest, which probably annoyed other people, did you have a nice day in work ,?

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I've done it once or twice, long days at work or needing a hot shower, I just check with the neighbours, explain the issue and I've never had a problem. 

In a similar vein I've had the neighbours pop over and ask do I mind and it's fine

If people explain & you have an idea of how long it will be,no problem.It's the ones who've sat there all day & then turn their engine/ genny on 9pm ish  to watch telly-they've had all day !!!

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Have you thought about going into a marina, rather than put put people into a situation where it would be rude not to say yes. So you also feel that the rules are not the rules, they are flexible, if they don’t suit you.