fitting solar panel with Victron charger already installed

Dashwood

Featured Posts

Hi, I bought a Sunshine Solar 200 watt single panel kit some time ago to fit on my boat and only now have the time to fit it. I have no problem with the mounting and basic wiring however:

I already have installed in the boat a Victron combined charger and inverter, I also have 240v on my mooring for charging domestic use etc.

My question is this, If I wire up the solar panel to charge the leisure batteries which are three 110amp hour wired in parallel using the supplied charge controller from sunshine solar, do I have to be careful not to use the Victron charger at the same time that I am connected to the solar panel? is there a risk that some damage may occur somewhere with both connected and charging at the same time?

Thanks for an help and advice.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

All should co-exist together BUT if one has a slightly higher absorption voltage the other(s) may go into float or in the case of the alternator possibly shut down. During the bulk phase, you should get the sum of all the charging outputs.

I’ve set float on the solar 0.5v higher than the charger. That way the solar does the work when it’s sunny. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for the replies especially you Tony as you are always so helpful. I have now fitted the panel and connected it briefly to the solar charge controller, a hot sunny day last Sunday and it was showing 20volts input. I have not explored what the parameters have been set at by Sunshine Solar ( I will get back to them) I was reluctant to connect to the batteries until I have explored that further. When I do wire it up to the three leisure batteries that are connected in parallel I assume in only need to connect the output charge to one of the batteries in the bank as they are connected together? I have seen in the past individual wiring to each battery that seemed a bit odd.

2 minutes ago, Dashwood said:

Hi thanks for the replies especially you Tony as you are always so helpful. I have now fitted the panel and connected it briefly to the solar charge controller, a hot sunny day last Sunday and it was showing 20volts input. I have not explored what the parameters have been set at by Sunshine Solar ( I will get back to them) I was reluctant to connect to the batteries until I have explored that further. When I do wire it up to the three leisure batteries that are connected in parallel I assume in only need to connect the output charge to one of the batteries in the bank as they are connected together? I have seen in the past individual wiring to each battery that seemed a bit odd.

Sorry, a very bad move. In general, you should connect the controllers to the batteries FIRST so it can decide if it's a 12V or 24V system. Disconnect it form the panels and leave disconnected to a for a day or so. Then connect to the batteries and finally the panels.

Don't get too hung up over the absorption voltage, in all probability it will all work as you expect out of the  box.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Dashwood said:

When I do wire it up to the three leisure batteries that are connected in parallel I assume in only need to connect the output charge to one of the batteries in the bank as they are connected together?

Connect the solar to the same two battery terminals as are used by the alternator and the takeoff for the domestic electrics. This is probably two terminals at diagonally opposite corners of the battery bank.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Connect the solar to the same two battery terminals as are used by the alternator and the takeoff for the domestic electrics. This is probably two terminals at diagonally opposite corners of the battery bank.

Unless you have a shunted battery monitor then the negative goes to the boat side of the shunt, on no account fit to it the battery sdie or the monitor will not see the solar charge, get confused, and tell even bigger lies than usual.