The Falkirk Wheel

DHutch

Featured Posts

Where just starting to plan the years boating, and so where looking for places to go!

- So, how does it work?

Do you just turn up and and tell the man you want go up, it there a man? Or do you need to ring up in advance like the ribble link?

Thanks, daniel

Well, I haven't been and information for boaters using the wheel is really hard to find (everyone is far too busy promoting tourist trips, it seems :)) but I finally found this on the Alvechurch website:

There is no charge for the Falkirk Wheel but it is advisable to book beforehand (01324 619888).

Trips operate approximately every half hour from 8.30am to 7pm daily, each 'revolution' taking one narrowboat and the British Waterways trip boat.

However, somewhere else it said that the wheel took 8 or more boats - so who knows.

Zoë

Well, I haven't been and information for boaters using the wheel is really hard to find, everyone is far too busy promoting tourist trips, it seems :)

yeah, thats what i found too (i though it was just me not know where to look!)

Anyway, thanks for the info.

- I assumed it was manned, i'll give that number a ring and see what i can find out.

Thanks again, daniel.

Where just starting to plan the years boating, and so where looking for places to go! So, how does it work? Do you just turn up and and tell the man you want go up, it there a man? Or do you need to ring up in advance like the ribble link?

Unless you can persuade your Grandad to have Emily Anne craned out, put on the back of a lorry, taken to Scotland and craned in again (and all reversed when you want to come home), you'll not be taking the boat on the Falkirk Wheel - The Union Canal is not linked to the main system. It looks as though you'll have to persuade somebody to finance a Scottish Trip for you by train!

Unless you can persuade your Grandad to have Emily Anne craned out, put on the back of a lorry, taken to Scotland and craned in again (and all reversed when you want to come home), you'll not be taking the boat on the Falkirk Wheel - The Union Canal is not linked to the main system. It looks as though you'll have to persuade somebody to finance a Scottish Trip for you by train!

:)

Dam it!, there goes another of my not so great after all ideas!!

- stupid canals, cal themselfs a network!

Ah well, nvm!

Dainel :)

I have been on it - I was on business in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and drove there (about 40 mins). It works on electricity - but the caissons are balanced so it doesn't need much - about 7KW to start ad stop it, then about 1 KW to keep it moving. The seals are inflated rubber and even the water between the two guillotines is pumped back. There is a web site if you need more info.

Although it it not connected to the main system, you could theoretically sail there - down the Trent or the Yorkshire canals to Goole - out of the Humber to sea - up the Firth of Forth and onto the Union canal!

You sail down the Trent or the Yorkshire canals to Goole - out of the Humber to sea - up the Firth of Forth  and onto the Union canal!

I suppose we could? - and acutalty done this though?

- with a 15bhp engine.

Daniel

Edited by dhutch