Jump to content

Anyone want to buy the most famous boat on the canals


luggsy

Featured Posts

On 28/08/2021 at 18:04, Nightwatch said:

I don’t think they will get anywhere near £140,000 for their boat, but it will sell. I wish them well with their new build and their future.

 

The price of the new build must have shot up as the price of steel has rocketed as has many more commodities.

 

I have said before, I have found their blogs informative and sometimes even entertaining. I guess they have made a living out of talking to and using various suppliers. I bet they have enjoyed Silver Fox.

 

What sort of boat are they having built? I don't really watch their vlogs. Some people seem to be awash with cash. I'm sure silver fox must have cost them well over £100k to have built. You'd have thought they'd stick with it a bit longer. Still if money is no object why not have another one built I suppose? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

 

What sort of boat are they having built? I don't really watch their vlogs. Some people seem to be awash with cash. I'm sure silver fox must have cost them well over £100k to have built. You'd have thought they'd stick with it a bit longer. Still if money is no object why not have another one built I suppose? 

 

 Although Bickerstaff claim to have designed the perfect boat maybe now the Foxes have a bit of experience they fancy something with a tug deck, an engine room with a big old engine, a trad stern, solid brass portholes, and no tents on either end. I might even start watching their vblog thingies 😀

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dmr said:

 

 Although Bickerstaff claim to have designed the perfect boat maybe now the Foxes have a bit of experience they fancy something with a tug deck, an engine room with a big old engine, a trad stern, solid brass portholes, and no tents on either end. I might even start watching their vblog thingies 😀

 

Of all the things that might be wrong with Silver Fox one of them isnt that it hasnt got an old bus/tractor engine in it.

 

Though Im not sure I'd want one of those yellow Vetus things either.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

 

Of all the things that might be wrong with Silver Fox one of them isnt that it hasnt got an old bus/tractor engine in it.

 

Though Im not sure I'd want one of those yellow Vetus things either.

 

You do realise that proper vintage marine diesels exsist don’t you? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

 

What sort of boat are they having built? I don't really watch their vlogs. Some people seem to be awash with cash. I'm sure silver fox must have cost them well over £100k to have built. You'd have thought they'd stick with it a bit longer. Still if money is no object why not have another one built I suppose? 

I’m guessing it’s so they can make content around the build etc., seem to recall something about latest tech and innovations.

 

I’ll stick a quid on it being Ortomarine doing the build, or maybe a sneaky bet on Bickerstaffe’s first foray into electric?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I’m guessing it’s so they can make content around the build etc., seem to recall something about latest tech and innovations.

 

I’ll stick a quid on it being Ortomarine doing the build, or maybe a sneaky bet on Bickerstaffe’s first foray into electric?

 

There is a hint in the video that Bickerstaffe are going to be the builders.

 

Its 60ft, silver and going to be called ..........

 

Silver Fox.

 

I guess that is their 'brand' now. 

 

I wonder if there is a condition on the sale of the current Silver Fox that the buyer changes the name??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

My bet is they are selling because they want an electric bote built. Miles of new self-congratulatory, puke-inducing footage there available, I reckon. 

 

Im always intrigued by folk that complain about vloggers content, as if it is somehow compulsory to view them.

 

It's a bit like the telly, if you dont like it, just turn it off. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, PD1964 said:

 I noticed that, the pricing has been removed, but what I remember when the Foxes were on “Million Pound Barges” their boat was around if not less then £130K new. So I don’t know who’s valued it now at £140K. If on brokerage it would not be valued anywhere near that and when sold in future it will sell for true market value.

  

  

'True market value' can only mean what someone pays for it. If it sells for 180 that is its true market value, equally if it sells at 100. Remember that TMV is set at a level agreed by both seller and buyer. There is little intrinsic about 'value' especially in a second hand market.  Very few successful brokers will take on a boat at an asking price well out of line with what they expect to get.  

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Very few successful brokers will take on a boat at an asking price well out of line with what they expect to get.  

Which I guess is why the Foxes are not using a broker themselves.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

 I wonder if there is a condition on the sale of the current Silver Fox that the buyer changes the name??

Then it won’t be the most famous boat on the canal, just another Aintree shell based boat fitted out by Bickerstaffe.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Then it won’t be the most famous boat on the canal, just another Aintree shell based boat fitted out by Bickerstaffe.

I didn’t realise it was a budget shell too! I repeat what I said about it being good for the builders bottom line….essentially it’s a modern day springer…nothing wrong with that but not for £140k!

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Very few successful brokers will take on a boat at an asking price well out of line with what they expect to get.  

As said before maybe that’s why they are trying to sell privately, at a price more then they paid for it 2 years ago.

   Maybe praying on their starry eyed followers naivety and hoping it sells to a super fan.

  If the new builder is Bickerstaffe which I imagine it is, maybe they could take it PX against their new boat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, frangar said:

I didn’t realise it was a budget shell too! I repeat what I said about it being good for the builders bottom line….essentially it’s a modern day springer…nothing wrong with that but not for £140k!

Their valuation is delusional, even on Bickerstaffes site they have a review from Waterways world from the same time the Foxes bought their boat 2019 of basically the same boat but with a Tyler-Wilson shell price £129K.

https://www.bickerstaffeboatcompany.co.uk/WaterwaysWorldFeature.pdf

Edited by PD1964
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MtB said:

My bet is they are selling because they want an electric bote built. Miles of new self-congratulatory, puke-inducing footage there available, I reckon. 

 

Apparently not, they're just getting a regular diesel that's 3ft longer. Seems like a missed opportunity to do something more interesting.

 

Can't help but wonder if £140k is either a) the price they paid for it new or b) the estimated cost of their new boat. They buyer would have to add on a couple of £k for a repaint and rename job... I quite like the boat but couldn't deal with the recognition everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, phantom_iv said:

 

Can't help but wonder if £140k is either a) the price they paid for it new or b) the estimated cost of their new boat. They buyer would have to add on a couple of £k for a repaint and rename job... I quite like the boat but couldn't deal with the recognition everywhere.

I know of someone that tried selling their existing boat at a price that covered the next one they were buying….it simply didn’t happen and they had to reduce the price to less than if they had put it up a sensible price in the first place as they then needed a quick sale. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given their research on whatever they happen to be pontificating about is usually pretty thorough, I think they will be fully aware of the market value of comparable boats and the price a broker would list it for. 

 

Therefore, they must have decided they can get a better price than a broker by marketing it on their youtube channel and stitching up one of their acolytes.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, MtB said:

Given their research on whatever they happen to be pontificating about is usually pretty thorough, I think they will be fully aware of the market value of comparable boats and the price a broker would list it for. 

 

Therefore, they must have decided they can get a better price than a broker by marketing it on their youtube channel and stitching up one of their acolytes.

 

 

 

 

Maybe, and I know the narrowboat market is absolute bananas at the moment but if someone pays even close to a six figure sum for a bucket hull with a crap engine and MDF linings I am phoning the Police.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

 

Maybe, and I know the narrowboat market is absolute bananas at the moment but if someone pays even close to a six figure sum for a bucket hull with a crap engine and MDF linings I am phoning the Police.

 

Surely the Police are too busy prosecuting people for important things such as notional GDPR infringements to bother about a trivial crime like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

 

Maybe, and I know the narrowboat market is absolute bananas at the moment but if someone pays even close to a six figure sum for a bucket hull with a crap engine and MDF linings I am phoning the Police.

What do you think Sting will do about it?😂

Send him a message in a bottle.

Edited by davem399
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Given their research on whatever they happen to be pontificating about is usually pretty thorough, I think they will be fully aware of the market value of comparable boats and the price a broker would list it for. 

 

Therefore, they must have decided they can get a better price than a broker by marketing it on their youtube channel and stitching up one of their acolytes.

 

 

 

I don't get the 'stitching up' bit. If someone pays xxx then xxx is the true market value, unless something coercive takes place. I doubt a decent 60ft new build would come in any less and there are many examples at the moment of boats fetching more than was paid for them several years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I don't get the 'stitching up' bit. If someone pays xxx then xxx is the true market value, unless something coercive takes place. I doubt a decent 60ft new build would come in any less and there are many examples at the moment of boats fetching more than was paid for them several years ago. 

It’s the fact that a lot of their “followers” are incredibly naive about boats…and life in general if a brief look at their Twitter page is a guide.

 

it’s no wonder cults can find a willing audience. 
 

They will hang on every word uttered and not look any further for info on boats or the cut. This is sadly becoming more common judging from people I met boating this year. 

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I don't get the 'stitching up' bit. If someone pays xxx then xxx is the true market value, unless something coercive takes place. I doubt a decent 60ft new build would come in any less and there are many examples at the moment of boats fetching more than was paid for them several years ago. 

You are always very defensive about them, what value would you put on their boat?

 You haven’t just bought a new Bickerstaffe boat called Alchemist?

Edited by PD1964
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.