Anyone want to buy the most famous boat on the canals

luggsy

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Who would want the hassle of constantly having people recognise your boat, or bang on it assuming you were the Foxes?

Years ago, Waterways World magazine featured the fitout of their own company boat, Kottingham. When they eventually sold it the new owner had to change the name due to the number of people recognising it and wanting to see inside etc.

I believe it has since reverted to it's original name, now it is no longer so well known.

Edited by David Mack

2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Who would want the hassle of constantly having people recognise your boat, or bang on it assuming you were the Foxes? Then again i guess some would crave the attention, nowt so queer as folk.

This would be an issue for me too. I can't imagine how disappointing it would be for some when they saw my ugly mush and rather rotund figure on the stern rather than one of the Foxes.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

snip ...

was it Dover that had a TV makeover??? (so famous that I can't remember, but not owning a TV does give me a different perspective on these things).

Yes it was, I really enjoyed watching it.

17 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

1685, its on page 8 of ad.

I think when built Bickerstaffe boats were about 80k or 90k, they haven’t upgraded that much. Some poor sod high on Sunday paper articles will pay it no doubt.

Who would want the hassle of constantly having people recognise your boat, or bang on it assuming you were the Foxes? Then again i guess some would crave the attention, nowt so queer as folk.

This is very true, we purchased our boat secondhand without realising that it was a well known boat, especially on the K&A. For the first few years almost everyday somebody would say "oh thats R**** and V****'s boat" and a few would even add "I hope youre looking after it". We quite often had to give an update on what the previous owners were now doing.

After a few years our standard reply was "No its our boat, we have owned it for longer than R&V and done even more miles than they did". We did consider a repaint and rename but do rather like it the way it is.

The half life of getting a boat recognised from its previous owners can be several years, though the Fox boat is pretty typical of many posh modern boats so not too distincive.

What constitutes being 'famous' will be different things to different people.

I would wager the vast majority of folk that would recognise 'Silver Fox' will probably have never heard of the more historic boats like 'President'.

And vice versa.

Some will recognise both of course.

25 minutes ago, dmr said:

The half life of getting a boat recognised from its previous owners can be several years

Our boat was built in the early nineties and lived on by the first owners 'till the late nineties on the Staffs and Worcester. It still gets recognised as such around Kinver. Sorry. 

MP.

36 minutes ago, Steve Maines NB Dover said:

A10A6A07-E0CC-4FF7-8E71-7C245A34EF17.jpeg.bb5da075f297e44ffc460d4b9e6933ac.jpegAnd I thought that I owned the most famous boat on the cut. 

That looks like the lovely drydock at Stone, how deep are you? I bet it was a bit of a struggle to get in??? I once saw Mrs CanalCruising reverse one of the hire fleet up to the drydock entrance and then do a huge blast of forward to squirt water into the dock to get a deep old working boat in.

Another Vloggers boat up for sale, which in my opinion is a far better boat and at a fair price in the present buying/selling climate with boat demand. Whoever buys it are getting a far better deal. Just shows how ridiculously overpriced “The Foxes” boat is, what a delusional pair.

https://newandusedboat.co.uk/used-boats-for-sale/1751

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Another Vloggers boat up for sale, which in my opinion is a far better boat and at a fair price in the present buying/selling climate with boat demand. Whoever buys it are getting a far better deal. Just shows how ridiculously overpriced “The Foxes” boat is, what a delusional pair.

Yet another toilet-tent cratch cover.

MP.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Weren't they the ones who took 27 episodes just to leave the marina....

• Haha 2

If all these vlog people are such experts on boating on the cut how comes they seem to sell their boats rather quickly after having them built?? Could it be that in reality they are less perfect than they admit to? 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, frangar said:

If all these vlog people are such experts on boating on the cut how comes they seem to sell their boats rather quickly after having them built?? Could it be that in reality they are less perfect than they admit to? 

Probably getting chuffed off with every third towpath walker recognising their boat and knocking on it to ask banal questions or engaging them in conversation...

• Haha 1

She's a smasher, and solid oak floors, too. Can we excuse them for upgrading (some would say downgrading) Love Life Triumph to a widebeam?

You're right about the fabulous furry Foxes and their eponymous boat. With that price I'd expect to have a percentage share of their YouTube income in perpetuity. Or perhaps that's understood that the sale of Silver Fox includes "goodwill"?

4 minutes ago, Puffling said:

She's a smasher, and solid oak floors, too. Can we excuse them for upgrading (some would say downgrading) Love Life Triumph to a widebeam?

You're right about the fabulous furry Foxes and their eponymous boat. With that price I'd expect to have a percentage share of their YouTube income in perpetuity. Or perhaps that's understood that the sale of Silver Fox includes "goodwill"?

The name alone is enough to make me feel slightly ill……

24 minutes ago, frangar said:

The reality is that there's a certain personality that has been given a voice by the internet.  It's the type of person who's discovered something new and and can't wait to tell the world about it...!!! however annoying it is!!!!  And with lots of exclamation marks!!!! 

• Greenie 4