Anyone want to buy the most famous boat on the canals

luggsy

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I suppose "we" get what we deserve.   The culture of the canals has changed a lot since I started boating, I think the rise of marina culture is largely responsible, providing a safe, secure, environment with mains electric and water - it's hardly surprising that the emphasis has shifted to cabin space and the fitout when so many boats are never going anywhere.

There are a few builders around who are still producing distinctive boats with style but the sad reality is that unlike say the 1970's and 80's there are no budget, or even middle market builders doing it.  There isn't a modern equivalent of the Springer, Harborough,  Barney Boat or Hancock & Lane's Norseman, for example.       

Most people who buy canal boats nowadays know very little about hulls, engines and so on, what they see is equipment and fitout and internal features -- so that's exactly what most builders focus on, they're just providing what people want. I don't think it's just marina culture, even people who cruise tend to want a less bare-bones boat with more modern conveniences than in the old days, for example decent capacity 230V power.

There are still some boat nerds (like me!) who care about the marine engineering side -- engines, noise, electrics, swim and rudder shape -- more than what colour the worktops are, and there are still builders (like Finesse) who cater for that. But as you say they tend to be at the top end of the market because that's where the boat nerds are...

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

There are still some boat nerds (like me!) who care about the marine engineering side -- engines, noise, electrics, swim and rudder shape -- more than what colour the worktops are, and there are still builders (like Finesse) who cater for that. But as you say they tend to be at the top end of the market because that's where the boat nerds are...

Finesse boats are always progressing with electric engine development and battery charging, also current Tech innovations for boat monitoring. What are Bickerstaffe doing with boat building advancement?

Cutting circle windows in their canopies and spraying their boats in Candy apple red with a gold fleck may look nice but not practical going down overgrown canals. 
  As Foxes said their getting ideas from boatbuilders displaying at Crick for their new boat. Shame they have to pinch ideas from other builders instead of their builder creating new innovations. Maybe that’s why their boats are mid priced and nothing “Wow” 

Edited by PD1964

53 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Don’t worry if you missed out, i’ve heard there’s a boat called Poppy now up for sale

Well I suppose the Snowflake generation need Heroes to worship and idolise and by all accounts a lot of the older generation too. 

Edited by PD1964

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Well I suppose the Snowflake generation need Heroes to worship and to follow and by all accounts a lot of the older generation too.

You are being a tad over dramatic talking about 'hero worship'. They are an enjoyable watch, but obviously not to everyone's taste.

As I keep saying nobody is forced to watch them or any of the other vloggers on you tube. There are a few who I dont watch after trying one or two of their efforts.

12 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You are being a tad over dramatic talking about 'hero worship'. They are an enjoyable watch, but obviously not to everyone's taste.

Don’t take it seriously I was joking, it would be funny though if they have bought it.
 I do watch their Vlogs but at an accelerated pace and find Colins history info interesting, but as for the other one, I forget his name, not so entertaining.

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Knighty said:

Who bought the narrow boat in the end, anyone know?

According to social media some expats from the states who have never had a boat before…more or less as predicted! 

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

They are joining the Creme Anglais of boaters.

:clapping:

1 hour ago, MtB said:

"Custodians", lol!

It's a word which I've seen several times applied to the owners of boats. I suppose the implication is that they look after it.

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

A decent pressure washer might get most of it off but I agree it’s short sighted but expected from those with not much experience of boat maintenance. 

I have a feeling it was like this from new -  it may be that it was blacked on top of an epoxy primer? 

https://youtu.be/BfqQA2lzW1Q?t=17

About 2 mins in you can see it being jet washed.

2 minutes ago, phantom_iv said:

I have a feeling it was like this from new -  it may be that it was blacked on top of an epoxy primer? 

https://youtu.be/BfqQA2lzW1Q?t=17

About 2 mins in you can see it being jet washed.

In the first 30 seconds they mention the 2pk How old is the boat?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

:clapping:

It's a word which I've seen several times applied to the owners of boats. I suppose the implication is that they look after it.

It's a term leaking through from the world of historic motor cars. Owners of unique or rare, very valuable cars (e.g the fastback Talbot Tiger an acquaintance of mine purchased for £1/4m) find themselves referred to as 'custodians' rather than owners by other enthusiasts, as it implies they are no more than the people caring for it, for the benefit of future generations.

Similarly, owners of historic boats sometimes find themselves seen as custodians by other boaters. But for the purchaser(s) of the 'Silver Foxes' clonecraft to refer to themselves as custodians implies a shocking level of misunderstanding about what they've just bought, don'tcher think?!

Edited by MtB
Fiddle with the grammar.
  • Greenie 4