Anyone want to buy the most famous boat on the canals

luggsy

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, MtB said:

I dunno, was that not an assumption floated on here? 

I dunt watch their videos so dunno rilly, either way...

I couldn't find time or inclination to watch the videos but I had a look at their website and there's stuff about the new boat, but whats amazing is that they sell T shirts and Hoodies and a drinking cup all branded as Foxes Afloat, some with cartoon style pictures of them.

S'pose a Tshirt saying "Reginald" wouldn't really work else you could make a fortune.

6 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Since I believe that it is now sold (am I right?) then the market price has already been determined - just that we don't (yet) know it. If it has sold, within days of coming to the market, then I doubt it will be much below the asking price.

Your a joke, a weak person that can’t make a decision, come on be strong and say what you think their boat is worth?

No you didn’t even know it was a Bickerstaffe, pathetic really. Don’t worry their only Youtubers, nothing to worship like God✝️

Edited by PD1964
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Your a joke, a weak person that can’t make a decision, come on be strong and say what you think their boat is worth?

No you didn’t even know it was a Bickerstaffe, pathetic really. Don’t worry their only Youtubers, nothing to worship like God✝️

It may be the time of night but the above does not make a lot of sense to me.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Time for the classic survivors to boast their heritage. "Built by Springer" should be getting some kudos. 

....or perhaps a sticker on a Springer proclaiming "My other boat's a Bickerstaffe".

I must admit that I had never heard of Bickerstaffe Boats before reading this topic. Posh, are they?

3 hours ago, Athy said:

....or perhaps a sticker on a Springer proclaiming "My other boat's a Bickerstaffe".

I must admit that I had never heard of Bickerstaffe Boats before reading this topic. Posh, are they?

Not particularly 'posh', pretty much mid range is how I would describe them.

Despite the comments some have made they seem to have hit on a winning formula as they do seem to sell well. (This will of course be put down by the critics as 'gullibility'). Much the same as Elton Moss really.

I would be happy to own boats from either makers, and I bet there are a few Bickerstaffe owners have read this thread and have refrained from comment for fear of being ridiculed for being so 'gullible'.

I wouldn't go with the Bickerstaffe std. Cratch and stern covers though. I really dont like them. If I was ever in a position to buy one  I would source my covers elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Me neither.   

But you have to admire the marketing.  They seem to have caught the wave, so to speak, which is the change in emphasis between shell builder and fit out.  Once upon a time the value of a boat was heavily affected by the shell, but fitting out has become so sophisticated and the new breed of narrowboat buyer (seemingly) couldn't care less who put the steelwork together.  

I remember many years ago when we had a towpath mooring, one of the boats nearby came up for sale with a frankly ridiculous price tag.  "Oh but it's the inside" folk used to say, no expense spared etc.  Of course it didn't sell because in every other respect it was a very ordinary boat.  Times have changed now and these are the sort of boats that are commanding high premiums.

If the boat in question really did sell for over £100k that is cast iron proof.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Not particularly 'posh', pretty much mid range is how I would describe them.

Despite the comments some have made they seem to have hit on a winning formula as they do seem to sell well. (This will of course be put down by the critics as 'gullibility'). Much the same as Elton Moss really.

I would be happy to own boats from either makers, and I bet there are a few Bickerstaffe owners have read this thread and have refrained from comment for fear of being ridiculed for being so 'gullible'.

I wouldn't go with the Bickerstaffe std. Cratch and stern covers though. I really dont like them. If I was ever in a position to buy one  I would source my covers elsewhere.

As you say mid range and the pretty basic no frills interior reflects the price, but it suits people’s budget and gets them on the water so fit for purpose. There’s nothing wrong with them at £130k but I think for a £140K second hand Bickerstaffe boat it’s quite ridiculous, If I was spending £140K on a second hand boat I would expect to be buying a boat which cost in excess of £200K new.

Edited by PD1964

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Silver Fox is now sold.

Now the Canal boaters can look forward to a new most famous boat on the Canal as well as the second most famous boat on the Canals.

I wonder which will be the most famous or infamous, their new one or the one they ripped the new owners off with the ridiculously over valuation.

Edited by PD1964

No doubt it's a lot of money but then again, what isn't at the moment?  I've seen a few 1 year old boats come to market which are 15%+ more than new.

I'm even considering viewing this tomorrow:

https://www.aqueductmarina.co.uk/second-hand-boats/lodestone/

Probably £10K more than it would've been than not too long ago.  And at that price/age, is Silver Fox actually good value?

I really want a trad or semi-trad but after 18 months and no success, beggars can't be choosers.

11 minutes ago, northern said:

No doubt it's a lot of money but then again, what isn't at the moment?  I've seen a few 1 year old boats come to market which are 15%+ more than new.

Probably £10K more than it would've been than not too long ago.  And at that price/age, is Silver Fox actually good value?

I really want a trad or semi-trad but after 18 months and no success, beggars can't be choosers.

Silver Fox's asking price was 140k.

Whether they got that or even close to it we dont actually know.

Its a nice functional practical boat but by anybodies standards it was unlikely to be worth that.

But at the end of the day something is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay.

11 hours ago, northern said:

I guess I'm telling you what you already know, but...

If you really want a trad or semi why pay over the odds for a cruiser?   I reckon the sort of new buyers who are flocking to the canals at the moment prefer cruisers. so Aqueduct (pah!) are probably going to get something close to the asking price, maybe even more.

In the end narrowboats are still boats, and the boat market is highly seasonal, so once we get into the colder darker months some sort of normality will return.  Looking at boats on a cold windswept day in November is worlds away from these balmy summer days.

Perhaps i have just woken up particularly grumpy this morning but its a real shame that the British canal system became largely standardised at 7` x 72 or therabouts and has now become 6`10" x something or other. I can identify the products of a fair few builders but there are an awful lot of boats that are as near as dammit identical. There have been a few brave efforts at novel ideas, some sort of work but the designers of some of them need taking aside and given a stern talking to. As others have said its all about the interior nowadays and the tech that can be crammed in to it. Seems that the 'boat' bit has become secondary to the 'luxury' bit and that has become the bit where the price and profit is made.  Think I will get a fag packet and design a proper boat on the back of it. Might have to be the back of an envelope as fag packets are hard to find these days.

• Greenie 3

15 hours ago, northern said:

ABC have "Dream maker" (521402) - £70k. Not on their website yet. Lying at King's Orchard. Semi-trad.

Edited by Martin Nicholas
  • Greenie 1

Silver Fox has been sold at a price that is satisfactory to all parties, what the old moaners here think is immaterial.

We can now look forward (or not) to seeing it's successor being built. Apparently it is also to carry the name Silver Fox or maybe Silverfox. 

12 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

Silver Fox has been sold at a price that is satisfactory to all parties, what the old moaners here think is immaterial.

We can now look forward (or not) to seeing it's successor being built. Apparently it is also to carry the name Silver Fox or maybe Silverfox. 

Probably sold to one of their fans, who think they’ve a bargain compared to a New Aintree shelled boat at £130K. 
 I wonder who is building their new one? 

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Bee said:

Perhaps i have just woken up particularly grumpy this morning but its a real shame that the British canal system became largely standardised at 7` x 72 or therabouts and has now become 6`10" x something or other. I can identify the products of a fair few builders but there are an awful lot of boats that are as near as dammit identical. There have been a few brave efforts at novel ideas, some sort of work but the designers of some of them need taking aside and given a stern talking to. As others have said its all about the interior nowadays and the tech that can be crammed in to it. Seems that the 'boat' bit has become secondary to the 'luxury' bit and that has become the bit where the price and profit is made.  Think I will get a fag packet and design a proper boat on the back of it. Might have to be the back of an envelope as fag packets are hard to find these days.

I suppose "we" get what we deserve.   The culture of the canals has changed a lot since I started boating, I think the rise of marina culture is largely responsible, providing a safe, secure, environment with mains electric and water - it's hardly surprising that the emphasis has shifted to cabin space and the fitout when so many boats are never going anywhere.

There are a few builders around who are still producing distinctive boats with style but the sad reality is that unlike say the 1970's and 80's there are no budget, or even middle market builders doing it.  There isn't a modern equivalent of the Springer, Harborough,  Barney Boat or Hancock & Lane's Norseman, for example.       

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Martin Nicholas said:

ABC have "Dream maker" (521402) - £70k. Not on their website yet. Lying at King's Orchard. Semi-trad.

Many thanks for the tip off.  I spoke with ABC and it's a Collingwood so haven't progressed with it.  Nothing wrong with it, I'm sure, but would prefer otherwise.

I viewed the boat at Aqueduct - I was the second viewing today - and the first couple have made an offer and it appears it's been accepted.  I only know because they've updated the website, not because they've called back as they said they would.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Probably sold to one of their fans, who think they’ve a bargain compared to a New Aintree shelled boat at £130K. 
 I wonder who is building their new one? 

It is reported that the same "team" that built the first is building the second. Every detail of the process will be videoed in considerable detail for your entertainment and comment.

• Horror 1

3 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

It is reported that the same "team" that built the first is building the second. Every detail of the process will be videoed in considerable detail for your entertainment and comment.

Not mine as I can see boats built every day, more for people like you, I take it you follow their every word and Vlog everything and have had a boat less then a year, as the normal for their followers.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Idle Days said:

Yes its my understanding too that Bickerstaffe are building the new boat. Not sure who is building the shell. Currently their web site says their shells come from Tyler Wilson not Aintree.

It was a bit confusing in the vlog but I think the name is going to be 'Siver Fox Too'. As in also Silver Fox.

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Not mine as I can see boats built every day, more for people like you, I take it you follow their every word and Vlog everything and have had a boat less then a year, as the normal for their followers.

How do you know what is "normal" for their follows; do you follow from within a closet? 

2 hours ago, Idle Days said:

How do you know what is "normal" for their follows; do you follow from within a closet? 

Looking at most of the comments received on their social media, the majority of their followers are clueless about the canals or boating, or the ones with boats haven’t had them more then a year if that, or been out of the Marina yet.
 Why do you think I follow from a closet?

I take it you fall into one of their viewer/ comment leaver categories I mentioned above to put the closet comment on.

Edited by PD1964