Anyone want to buy the most famous boat on the canals

luggsy

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, haggis said:

Oh, I never got that far. I am stuck in the Eton Mess thought process. Shame as they might be nice boats if I could get past the builders name. I have never been a fan of boats with the builders name very obvious on them ( like Braidbar - are you allowed to have one without their name ? ).  

If the builders name is obvious you would think they would make sure the boat was "up to scratch"  but I hear stories to the contrary. I hasten to add I have never heard anything bad about Braidbar.

Haggis

Isn't Braidbar another boat fitter?

5 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Because I spoke to the couple who have just bought Alchemist and were moving it South, they had a previous boat and with you having Alchemy thought maybe you bought another, but reading your Blog which is good and interesting, I know now it’s not, keep the Blog going👍

And I don't think I had heard of bickerstffe before this thread! 

16 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

They paint "Shes a Bickerstaffe" on the side of them. Just looking at the video they don't look to have any guard irons on the hull sides.

Edited by ditchcrawler

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

You’ve watched a lot of their Vlogs and you never knew they had a Bickerstaffe built boat, being a boater you never watched the boat build Vlogs or had no interest to what builder built their boat?

somehow I find that hard to believe.

8 hours ago, PD1964 said:

You’ve watched a lot of their Vlogs and you never knew they had a Bickerstaffe built boat, being a boater you never watched the boat build Vlogs or had no interest to what builder built their boat?

somehow I find that hard to believe.

Sadly like so much in life, strange but true!

14 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Shells come from Czech republic don't they?   Dunno where they stand in the quality stakes but every other timeshare boat seems to be an Elton Moss. 

Carefree Cruising boat share company get all their boats from Elton Moss so that'll explain that....

Happy with ours....

Edited by robtheplod

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Sadly like so much in life, strange but true!

Somehow I think your just having a laugh now.and trying to be a bit of a smart ar$€ with you being so supportive of them  in various posts and watching their Vlogs.

Anyway you never answered the question I asked you. What market value would you put on their boat?

Just give a £ price and non of “if the buyer wants to pay a price that’s the value, so I can’t say as I’m not buying” rubbish.

Edited by PD1964

7 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

The only Bickerstaffe I'd ever heard of before reading this thread was general secretary of one of the health unions in the 80s

You mean Rodney Bickerstaffe, head of the NUPE union. Not just health service workers, also some utility companies (before privatisation) and university staff.

RodneyBickerstaffe.jpg

5 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

That's the one. And even in the 80s there weren't many unions that only represented one industry's workforce :) 

Very true, and of course union membership was vastly higher than in today's Thatcher-decimated landscape.

It's interesting you recall Rodney when hearing the name Bickerstaffe, and that I do as well. Perhaps we are both of that age when our impressionable years overlapped Bickerstaffe's time in office. But I think it was more that he was regularly in the news, and for the good reasons too - campaigning for an end to low pay and for better rights for public sector employees.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Somehow I think your just having a laugh now.and trying to be a bit of a smart ar$€ with you being so supportive of them  in various posts and watching their Vlogs.

Anyway you never answered the question I asked you. What market value would you put on their boat?

Just give a £ price and non of “if the buyer wants to pay a price that’s the value, so I can’t say as I’m not buying” rubbish.

Since I believe that it is now sold (am I right?) then the market price has already been determined - just that we don't (yet) know it. If it has sold, within days of coming to the market, then I doubt it will be much below the asking price.

33 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Since I believe that it is now sold (am I right?) then the market price has already been determined - just that we don't (yet) know it. If it has sold, within days of coming to the market, then I doubt it will be much below the asking price.

If you are referring to the video above then no, that is from 2019 sometime.

On 31/08/2021 at 16:52, PD1964 said:

I’ve heard through the Grapevine that Bickerstaffe have sold out to Artie Chalmers of Elton Moss boatbuilders, so the Foxes might have a new Elton Moss boat in the next month or so. So they can tell everyone “It’s a Elton Moss”

I passed one yesterday and they actually say “She’s a Bickerstaffe” so maybe Eton Mess will de-gender them.

Time for the classic survivors to boast their heritage. "Built by Springer" should be getting some kudos. Who wants a near new off the shelf shipped-in hull with a posh fitout when you could have a boat that is made of old gasometers, is 40 odd years old and still going strong for a fraction of the price.

45 minutes ago, frangar said:

Thats somewhat pretentious...and rather sums up the type of owner they hope to attract.

I think its a bit naff too, and the concept that Bickerstaffe are so clever/experienced that they can build the perfect boat is also a bit pretentious.

But we should try not to be superior and to judge others. Its not my type of boat but I'm a dedicated porthole/engine room type boater which obviously makes me superior 😀 whilst in reality I am part of a tiny minority of boaters that are likely heading for extinction.

A lot of new boaters will aspire to a Bickerstaffe, and probably also love all the blue signs and lock gate poetry etc etc that CRT are doing.

All in all for some boaters a Bickerstaffe is not such a bad idea, an off the peg "Marks and Spencers" boat is likely a much better investment than designing their own custom build when they don't have the experience to do so. Its better than a Whitfield.

Maybe instead of knocking the Fox's, myself and mtb etc etc should get off our backsides and do our own  vblog thingy about boats and boating. Trouble is I don't want to be a media personality, I just want to go boating.

I have noticed that Heidi Manning on the pirate boat has just started a vblog thing, she is a  switched on experienced boater and has a proper engine, maybe we should have a look at her stuff rather than worrying about the Foxes?

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Maybe instead of knocking the Fox's, myself and mtb etc etc should get off our backsides and do our own  vblog thingy about boats and boating. Trouble is I don't want to be a media personality, I just want to go boating.

Same here, I don't think I'd be able to handle the fame. 

Even just being MtB on here I still get recognised and hailed by people I don't know when out boating, at least once and sometimes several times a day.

When v-blogging the constant recognition must be intolerable. 

P.S. Forgot to say, this could well be the reason the foxes are flogging their boat. Just to get some anonymity back.

22 minutes ago, MtB said:

Same here, I don't think I'd be able to handle the fame. 

Even just being MtB on here I still get recognised and hailed by people I don't know when out boating, at least once and sometimes several times a day.

When v-blogging the constant recognition must be intolerable. 

P.S. Forgot to say, this could well be the reason the foxes are flogging their boat. Just to get some anonymity back.

But aren't they planning a new one and going to make episodes about its construction so it will be even more famous than the last one?

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

But aren't they planning a new one and going to make episodes about its construction so it will be even more famous than the last one?

I dunno, was that not an assumption floated on here? 

I dunt watch their videos so dunno rilly, either way...