Anyone want to buy the most famous boat on the canals

luggsy

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Given their research on whatever they happen to be pontificating about is usually pretty thorough, I think they will be fully aware of the market value of comparable boats and the price a broker would list it for. 

Therefore, they must have decided they can get a better price than a broker by marketing it on their youtube channel and stitching up one of their acolytes.

I posted this earlier but it seems it went AWOL

Maybe they couldn't find a broker who would waver his commission in return for being mentioned in their Videologs. 🤑

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, phantom_iv said:

I quite like the boat but couldn't deal with the recognition everywhere.

What's to recognise or fawn over?

It's an over priced, newish boat of unremarkable design.

It hasn't been in anything remarkable or noteworthy.

A lick of paint and /or a change of name and all will shortly be in the past.

I suggest it's new name should be "Storm in a teacup".

screenshot_2018-11-26-all-sizes-storm-in-a-teacup-flickr-photo-sharing.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 28/08/2021 at 00:55, MtB said:

Swerving off at a tangent again, which boat does the team think actually is the most famous boat on the cut? 

I'd nominate perhaps currently RAYMOND, or PRESIDENT.... 

Neither bears much resemblence to the original.

On 28/08/2021 at 09:14, MtB said:

The thing is, their youtube videos are not made for people like you. I suspect they are watched mainly by people who are either total newbie boaters or those who have yet to buy one (if ever). Their popularity illustrates how big a groundswell of interest exists in canals and boating in the general public, IMO. 

Another obvious contender for "most famous boat on the cut" would CRESSY, Tom Rolt's boat. 

Is CRESSY still extant?

From what I can remember, it rotted away on the bank years ago

16 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

From what I can remember, it rotted away on the bank years ago

As I understand it, CRESSY was burnt at Crown Wharf in Stone by Tom Rolt's friend and the founder of the Canal Cruising Co., Rendell Wyatt.

Joules Brewery have just built a new pub on the site.

8 hours ago, frangar said:

essentially it’s a modern day springer.

I think that might be doing a disservice to Aintree......they are standard 10/6/4 construction and as far as I am aware they haven't used scrap gasometers as their steel source like springer did.

However I take your point about it being a budget shell. I actually think they might get 140k for it from some unsuspecting viewer.....I'll feel really sorry for the person who does this when they loose 70k when they sell it in a year or two.  

Just now, booke23 said:

I think that might be doing a disservice to Aintree......they are standard 10/6/4 construction and as far as I am aware they haven't used scrap gasometers as their steel source like springer did.

However I take your point about it being a budget shell. I actually think they might get 140k for it from some unsuspecting viewer.....I'll feel really sorry for the person who does this when they loose 70k when they sell it in a year or two.  

The Gasometer steel that Sam Springer sourced was probably of a far higher grade than the stuff Aintree use now...there is a reason many springers are still floating with 4mm hulls...and not all are overplated....Its not just the steel though...its the length and design of the swims and how well its actually been welded together....before we start on things like framing etc.

• Greenie 3

7 hours ago, phantom_iv said:

Apparently not, they're just getting a regular diesel that's 3ft longer. Seems like a missed opportunity to do something more interesting.

Can't help but wonder if £140k is either a) the price they paid for it new or b) the estimated cost of their new boat. They buyer would have to add on a couple of £k for a repaint and rename job... I quite like the boat but couldn't deal with the recognition everywhere.

I doubt you need worry about recognition? I wouldnt recognise it although after this thread which a few forumites have seen I may remember the name of the boat. I doubt very much there are many people who actualy look at v log blogg whatsits anyway and those that do there will not be many boat owners amongst them.

9 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Then it won’t be the most famous boat on the canal, just another Aintree shell based boat fitted out by Bickerstaffe.

The same thought occured to me.

37 minutes ago, booke23 said:

According to their website the shells are Tyler Wilson???

Which is confusing.. given what others have said.

Screenshot_20210830-175205_Chrome.jpg

Edited by The Happy Nomad

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I doubt you need worry about recognition? I wouldnt recognise it although after this thread which a few forumites have seen I may remember the name of the boat. I doubt very much there are many people who actualy look at v log blogg whatsits anyway and those that do there will not be many boat owners amongst them.

Until this thread appeared I had no idea who these people were, and I wish I had remained ignorant.  

Fair play to them though, they have taken lack of self awareness to a level I never thought possible. 

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Screenshot_20210830-175205_Chrome.jpg

The Foxes own advert clearly states it's an Aintree shell.

I don't know that there's a lot in it anyway.  Tyler Wilson must be undercutting Aintree if Bickerstaff are using them now.

It's another sad fact of modern narrowboating that all the emphasis is on the fit out these days.  It's where the money is, I guess.

23 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Yes it is confusing. As I understand it Bickerstaffe have sourced their shells from a number of different builders over the years. Perhaps it's just the lowest bidder for any given year that gets the work. 

On 28/08/2021 at 13:13, Neil2 said:

My previous boat was featured in an edition of "Yorkshire TV News".  Does that count?

I've been on Swiss TV. Does that count?  https://www.rts.ch/play/tv/19h30/video/jubile-de-diamant-de-la-reine-elisabeth-ii-le-point-dorgue-des-festivites-se-tiendra-dimanche-avec-une-parade-de-mille-navires-sur-la-tamise?urn=urn:rts:video:4036657

27 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

The Foxes own advert clearly states it's an Aintree shell.

I don't know that there's a lot in it anyway.  Tyler Wilson must be undercutting Aintree if Bickerstaff are using them now.

It's another sad fact of modern narrowboating that all the emphasis is on the fit out these days.  It's where the money is, I guess.

Yep. Sad.

Most who falsely claim they are 'boatbuilders' just aren't. They are boatfitters.

And that's bad as well as sad.

• Greenie 1

There happens to be 2 bickerstaffe boats moored at the side of me at the moment, both have different sterns , they have a lovely paint finish ( sprayed ) if they are the same set up as foxes ,in there vblog they say they don't need to run there engine for charging there batteries we'll these 2 have to 

58 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Maybe they slipped in an extra 0 or perhaps the included futon is something very special.

49 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Good quality batteries though......

35 minutes ago, frangar said:

I was thinking the same thing! 

Ok the comma's in the wrong place but £40k for a 46 year old no name boat with an air cooled Lister, jeez.