Anyone want to buy the most famous boat on the canals

luggsy

Featured Posts

Nice boat but well over priced IMHO.

And not quite sure why they didnt replace the loo with a cassette rather than another composting bog. And put it back to original spec.

Given the changes ref composting loos.

There are a lot of boats that I recognise, and some that I desire, but this is not either so how can it be so famous?

I note that it has a "full external clean". I washed one side of mine yesterday with a bucket of water taken out of the Oxford canal, I wonder if I have increased its value 😀.

Very very silly.

34 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I am clearly missing something - what is it that makes the boat "famous"?  eg was it featured on Midsomer Murders or was it built for Paul McCartney etc etc?

I suspect that the title was intended humorously and refers to the considerable exposure and discussion which the two friends' films have had on here.

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I find their blogs and others of the same rather boring!

There really is a limit to what can be filmed on a canal.

I find Peter Scott's photos and others too,of much greater interest.

The thing is, their youtube videos are not made for people like you. I suspect they are watched mainly by people who are either total newbie boaters or those who have yet to buy one (if ever). Their popularity illustrates how big a groundswell of interest exists in canals and boating in the general public, IMO. 

Another obvious contender for "most famous boat on the cut" would CRESSY, Tom Rolt's boat. 

Is CRESSY still extant?

Horrible on many fronts. Vetus, MDF, previous owners, too pretentious.

I have bad memories of Ford Silver Fox paint peeling off and having too many shade variations. Lost count of how many Mk2 Cortinas we had to strip and repaint.

Worth maybe half the asking price on a good day.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

I suspect that the title was intended humorously and refers to the considerable exposure and discussion which the two friends' films have had on here.

I'm not much wiser - I don't bother with blog/vlogs though.

No disrespect to them but if a secondhand  Aintree boat fetches six figures that is cast iron proof the world has gone mad.

As for the most famous boat it's surely U-8047 if only for its notoriety.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Another obvious contender for "most famous boat on the cut" would CRESSY, Tom Rolt's boat. 

Is CRESSY still extant?

No, long extinct I think. I thought of that one, but I inferred that the O.P. was referring to extant craft.

President, I'd say, probably the only boat on the canals named after a brand of camembert.

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

The thing is, their youtube videos are not made for people like you. I Their popularity illustrates how big a groundswell of interest exists in canals and boating in the general public, IMO. 

I think you are right.I am selling my little yoghurtpot and although there is lots of interest,when I tell prospective buyers of the cost of licence,mooring fees,and insurance,and the state of a lot of canals,they turn away rather saddened. (I tell it like it is man)

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Swerving off at a tangent again, which boat does the team think actually is the most famous boat on the cut? 

I'd nominate perhaps currently RAYMOND, or PRESIDENT.... 

Kingfisher is pretty well known, everybody has seen it and I've seen it loads of times 😀

Nuneaton and Brighton are infamous.

was it Dover that had a TV makeover??? (so famous that I can't remember, but not owning a TV does give me a different perspective on these things).

• Greenie 1

A clean boat for somebody, but nothing special and no wow factor with the fit out. At £140K about £60K over priced, if not more. I’m sure one of their clueless followers will buy it and “live the dream” in more ways then one.

You could also get a new one built for the asking price(well current steel price dependent) and not be reminded every time you went out of the previous owners.

I wonder how many engine hours it has done? As can’t seam to find it on the Ad.

Edited by PD1964

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Current engine hours: 1,685

Silver Fox.JPG

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

A clean boat for somebody, but nothing special and no wow factor with the fit out. At £140K about £60K over priced, if not more. You could get a new one built for that(well current steel price dependent)

1685, its on page 8 of ad.

I think when built Bickerstaffe boats were about 80k or 90k, they haven’t upgraded that much. Some poor sod high on Sunday paper articles will pay it no doubt.

Who would want the hassle of constantly having people recognise your boat, or bang on it assuming you were the Foxes? Then again i guess some would crave the attention, nowt so queer as folk.