Aylesbury wots it like.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hi Martyn. I live in Aylesbury, but not on my boat. There are six residential moorings just by the Aylesbury basin. It was re-developed a few years ago and the Aylesbury Canal Society moved to a new Marina called Circus Field a few miles up the arm. We were promised waterside restaurants and bars. The truth is that it’s pretty stark. Big new Waitrose, Premier Inn and buildings for the college. I’d not want to live there. Aylesbury itself is ok. 

Hope this is of some help!

• Greenie 1

If I recall correctly lots of mooring rings were installed, then a person tripped over one so they cut them off and now you can't moor!

N

In the town basin.

Electric and water points. Elsan, no pump out.  No security,  nowhere to park a car except Waitrose car park..

Handy for Waitrose,  Travelodge  and the station.  'Spoons across the road, lots of chain restaurants and the  usual Ethnics and takeaways.  Theatre handy but near permanently dark.

Town centre was largely  destroyed in the 60's and  would now be much improved by a small thermo-nucular explosion.

N

Edited by BEngo
  • Greenie 3

Thanks for the comments, constructive or otherwise. As we don’t know Aylesbury we couldn’t make a snap decision and go for it. It was a residential mooring and eventually went for just over £4100 a year. Electric, water and tele line.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Thanks for the comments, constructive or otherwise. As we don’t know Aylesbury we couldn’t make a snap decision and go for it. It was a residential mooring and eventually went for just over £4100 a year. Electric, water and tele line.

It sounds just as bad as living in a house old boy!!

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

£4100? That seems very costly, are there any  marinas nearby and are they as much? 

When we left our online mooring at Bourne End on the GU 2 years ago it was £4600 so that seems reasonable to me.

On the Nene now and it's less than £2k 😎

Edited by Loddon

We spent a few nights in the ACS marina at Circus Fields (for free!). There was a liveaboard in there staying for a week and he was so pleased with the location that he had put his name down for a permanent slot. He thought the £300 a month to be a bargain.

The marina is on the edge of town rather than miles out and there is now a Lidl right next door.

• Greenie 1

We got married at Acs in the basin in 1987. The registry office demanded aylesbury residence for one of us, so the motor went for a holiday there.

We used an outboard to get the butty from our ricky mooring, and then got the pair back together just before we got married.

On the way down the locks miss S slipped and fell in below the second lock, as she reappeared and i dragged her out her words were ‘they have dredged it its 5 feet deep’

13 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Used to be lovely when Acs was in the basin. Now its a sterile dark corridor overshadowed by a huge cheap hotel.

Sadly, this dies about sum up the town basin. 

10 hours ago, JohnEW2912 said:

We spent a few nights in the ACS marina at Circus Fields (for free!). There was a liveaboard in there staying for a week and he was so pleased with the location that he had put his name down for a permanent slot. He thought the £300 a month to be a bargain.

The marina is on the edge of town rather than miles out and there is now a Lidl right next door.

Yes. ACS are a nice bunch. Very welcoming and great facilities in the new basin. Hell of a waiting list though….