Why are there so many boats for sale in London these days?

Neil2

Featured Posts

Looking through the AD listings I'm sure there are loads more narrowboats for sale in London than say two years ago.   I'm just curious as to why this is - are CRT and the EA getting tough on overstaying etc. or are these folk just cashing in on the current surge in demand and/or upsizing to widebeams?  

RAccording to some  it is no longer necessary to work in Lunnon, because you can do it all from miles away "at home".  Those who are doing this and those who have been furloughed no longer need a boat to live on and they have not been near it since lockdown started so they are getting rid.

Perhaps.

N

• Greenie 2

Probably some of the barely floating wrecks that have been shipped down there have finally succumbed to the whitewash inside and no blacking outside maintenance regime and are now in danger of sinking and hence becoming worthless. So the graspers are trying to sell them to the next tranche of gullible city migrants.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Don't people take their boats to London to sell?  Lots of people drunk on alternative lifestyle programs will to pay over the odds?   Buy in the North, sell in the South I always thought?

It would certainly be sound business sense.

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Don't people take their boats to London to sell?  Lots of people drunk on alternative lifestyle programs will to pay over the odds?   Buy in the North, sell in the South I always thought?

Whilton is not in the North...

• Haha 1

Looks like house prices in London have stalled  so perhaps the observation and reasoning  regarding boats for sale is correct.

But I think in the long run London property prices will always recover.

Working from home at least part of the time , for those who can do it , is the new normal. But  it might not last long term.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

This cheep little doer uper has just come on the market with no mooring in London https://www.standard.co.uk/homesandproperty/property-news/london-regents-canals-narrowboat-for-sale-kings-cross-b955574.html

"An RCD certificate will be issued upon sale showing the boat passes all current safety and design tests applicable to boats. In practical terms this certificate ensures the boat does not need a survey and guarantees the quality of the works."

Hmm. Probably sounds good to a newbie, but not exactly true!

On 26/08/2021 at 14:13, robtheplod said:

Depends where you are!  :)

When our daughter was training to be a nurse at Kings London the patients used to tell her to wrap up warm as it was cold up north whenever she told them she was going home for a few days. We lived in Braunston

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

This cheep little doer uper has just come on the market with no mooring in London https://www.standard.co.uk/homesandproperty/property-news/london-regents-canals-narrowboat-for-sale-kings-cross-b955574.html

A bargain at 125k!

That's why when it comes to selling my boat, I'll probably head down to London. Mine has ingenious space saving ideas too, and looks nice enough outside to photograph too!

35 minutes ago, David Mack said:

"An RCD certificate will be issued upon sale showing the boat passes all current safety and design tests applicable to boats. In practical terms this certificate ensures the boat does not need a survey and guarantees the quality of the works."

Hmm. Probably sounds good to a newbie, but not exactly true!

I don't recall seeing the RCD having a requirement for hull thickness.

There are often more boats for sale at this time of year in London, they bought a boat last year struggled through the winter no sun, cold and damp with condensation, started to enjoy it around Easter and have been having a good time since, but now solar isn't always enough, getting cold nights, they know what is coming and want out.