Bridge 10, Middlewich Branch

Philip

Featured Posts

I'm having a look through a 1995 edition of the Nicholson guide book and have noticed that bridge 10 'Prescott Bridge' on the Shropshire Union Middlewich Branch appears on the map; I seem to recall the 2000 edition also showing it. It is the awkward 'narrows on an angle' bit just north east of the aqueduct over the Weaver; bridge removed, however the evidence of the bridge is still clear and it does look like it was removed relatively recently.

Sorry it is a bit obscure but does anyone remember this bridge still standing within the last 20-30 years or even better have any photos of it? Also, I'd have thought that by 95 these sort of structures would have been protected by listed status, so seems odd that it appears to have been demolished since then, possibly even within the last 20 years.

Edited by Philip

The bridge does not appear in my Nicholson's guide dated 1999, but strangely does appear on the OS Landranger map I have which was revised in 2017.  It's also on my Garmin OS Discoverer map which I think uses data from 2011 and it's also indicated on my Pearson's guide from 2006.

Nicholsons are supposed to use OS data, so it is odd that the bridge is missing from the 1999 edition, unless it's a genuine mistake.  We need someone to look at a more recent Nicolson's guide (presumably there is one).  However, I know the site very well and it certainly doesn't look to me as though it was demolished 20 years ago so I think the OS map is right.  

It was only an accommodation bridge, but I can think of many redundant bridges that are still standing and being maintained so I agree it is a little strange if, as it seems, it was removed quite recently.

Edited by Neil2

5 hours ago, Philip said:

bridge 10 'Prescott Bridge' on the Shropshire Union Middlewich Branch appears on the map; ...it does look like it was removed relatively recently. ... does anyone remember this bridge still standing within the last 20-30 years or even better have any photos of it?

From 6Jul2005:

L1126_20050706_0238s.jpg.62bf503a685810bda6958b5710c7c986.jpg

and from Geograph 2016

spacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
extra pic

57 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

From 6Jul2005:

L1126_20050706_0238s.jpg.62bf503a685810bda6958b5710c7c986.jpg

and from Geograph 2016

spacer.png

That suggests my 1999 Nicholson's guide is right and the OS data is wrong.  I'm losing my faith in the Ordnance Survey, where I live there is a footbridge over the river clearly marked on the 2017 map, yet no-one in the village has any memory of it - even one 93 year old who has lived here all his life.  

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

That suggests my 1999 Nicholson's guide is right and the OS data is wrong.  I'm losing my faith in the Ordnance Survey, where I live there is a footbridge over the river clearly marked on the 2017 map, yet no-one in the village has any memory of it - even one 93 year old who has lived here all his life.  

OS updates are largely based on changes which are notified to them, mostly by planning and highway authorities. So features like new or altered roads and buildings get updated pretty quickly, whereas relatively minor changes in out of the way places won't necessarily get picked up.

Interesting, so it seems like it may have been dismantled sometime between 1995 and 1999? Still seems far too recent to be knocking down original bridges of listed status, but what remains of the side of the bridge still looks in good condition, so this suggests it was still being maintained until relatively recently.

Sometimes map publishers purposely include non-existent features as an aid to detect unauthorised copying. I know that the publishers of the A-Z street maps do, but I would think that the OS one  is just an error. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typo