Canal Boating Tips From The Guardian

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

‘Learn horn signals to communicate’

Why? 

Nobody else bothers! 

Its a big problem, I have only ever witnessed horn signals properly used on two or three occasions (excepting the one long blast/I am here signal that most boaters likely do without knowledge).

If we need to pass wrong side then its difficult, pointing a hand is no good: does it mean "this is what I plan to do" or "I am telling you what to do", most people assume the latter but that would be both wrong and rude so it should be the former. Two blasts on the horn might be a good idea, but TWO blasts rather than just ONE blast would be seen as aggressive behavior by many boaters.

Anyway a typical low cost guardian article, rather than doing any research just interview a few people (probably londoners) with limited experience and write down what they say. I used to be an avid Guardian reader (long ago) what has changed? have I got cleverer (or slipped to the right) or has the guardian become a cross between a tabloid for the woke and a restaurant reviewing lifestyle magazine for trendy londoners??

• Greenie 2

I've been up and down the Thames a lot lately and all sorts of people don't seem to understand which side to go. 

I actually think it would be worth fitting car indicators to the boat. Not that awkward to install and just to show what you are doing. Saves quite a lot of agro with waving arms around, making noises by horn or voice etc. 

Just put the indicator on and go in the direction indicated. 

It could be seen as "dumbing down" but it might well work. 

You'd only need forward facing flashing orange lamps and they could be mounted at the back of the boat near the hatches as long as they were visible from an approaching craft. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Anyway a typical low cost guardian article, rather than doing any research just interview a few people (probably londoners) with limited experience and write down what they say. I used to be an avid Guardian reader (long ago) what has changed? have I got cleverer (or slipped to the right) or has the guardian become a cross between a tabloid for the woke and a restaurant reviewing lifestyle magazine for trendy londoners??

All broadsheets have had low effort "lifestyle" supplements like this for as long as I remember. Sometimes it has to be a subject (or place) you're familiar with to realise how crap the lifestyle/travel/property content that's there to have ads round it really is

Anyway, now that I have read the article, I will try not to fall in the water or fall out with other people on board :D 

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Having used hire boats for years,I recon indicators are a GREAT idea!

Perhaps with the addition of red and green stop/go lights on the stern; and possible a flashing multicoloured strobe to show the steerer is uncertain of the next move.  

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Anyway a typical low cost guardian article, rather than doing any research just interview a few people (probably londoners) with limited experience and write down what they say.

The Guardian has a 'Take Part' section where they invite readers to submit their thoughts and experiences on a wide range of topics. There was a call for canal boat experiences a couple of weeks ago, so I assume this article has been compiled from the responses.

5 hours ago, dmr said:

If we need to pass wrong side then its difficult, pointing a hand is no good: does it mean "this is what I plan to do" or "I am telling you what to do", most people assume the latter but that would be both wrong and rude so it should be the former.  

I had this happen to me in Birmingham from a professional skipper Arm out to the right and then point forward as I came through a bridge hole, I thought she was turning right, but she wanted me to go the wrong side of her so she didn't have to deviate to get through the bridge.