Winding hole big enough?

NoMoreUsernames

Featured Posts

Hi all. We have a 'weekender' coming up and are planning a route. Does anyone know if the winding hole on the Oxford canal known as 'Winding Hole 5' or 'Clattercote Bridge Winding Hole' is suitable for a 70ft craft?   I've done all the online research I can and can't turn up an answer so looking for personal experience.

Thanks in advance.

I can almost help. Currently at Cropredy toing and froing and might need to use that winding hole in a few days and so we tested it as we came down.

Its very silted but the silt is moderately soft. We concluded that by driving the front into the silt we would just be able to turn.

Cropredy marina entrances could be another option, I have not noticed the usual "no turning" signs that many marinas have.

70 will also turn at the Cropredy Wharf services.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

70' at Cropredy Wharf is possible but can be fun especially if CRT have dumped a flat or skip on the mooring that is closest. Hug the service wharf edge, getting away from it there is a lot of silt.

No chance of that because there's a little plastic cruiser there. He is moored correctly a little beyond the winding hole/no mooring sign but is a little in the way. I suspect CRT (or maybe even BW) did not know that 70 foot boats existed when they located that sign.

Some of the wooden buffering has fallen off on the wharf side leaving protruding bolts which makes winding a bit more complicated, in fact the entire services is looking very neglected, strange as Cropredy is almost a "honeyspot" location. Nice blue signs though.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Nice blue signs though.

Nice blue signs saying "Mind the protruding bolt heads"?

On the subject of winding in marina entrances, they tend not to mind if you do it after thee office has closed. Also, if you do it without revving the nuts off your engine and generally making a show of yourself, they don't notice anyway.

I also hold that if you don't touch any of their pilings or banks and just turn in free water, they have no business objecting anyway. Should they notice you doing it at all, that is.