More signs

luggsy

Featured Posts

I think what they need to remember is that your average boater is not in the first flush of youth, and more than likely with eyesight thats in decline. Any sign needs to be simple enough and clear enough to be read from the boat in the centre of whatever channel width there is, and far enough from the portal to allow you to react to other craft if its untimed one way working.

I’ve seen some signs (sadly forgotten where) that appear to be full of info, but you’d need to be stood in front of it to read it.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Does it? Are you supposed to sound your horn on entry to every tunnel? Or does it merely mean that you should have a horn?

I'm not 100% certain but I thought I had seen advice to sound your horn before entering a tunnel. Not something I do though unless it is a one way tunnel that you can't see through or a tunnel with a blind entry\exit.

Just show how ambiguous pictures can be.

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't think any of their tunnel signage measurements bear any resemblance to the actual tunnel measurements. The one I listed is probably 10 foot wide not 7 and maybe 15 feet high, also are they encouraging boaters to try and do them at 2 MPH they can't even get the sums right

image.png.9a79ea5eac22db149eb1b663f2b46deb.png

🤣 

At least they have the tunnel name correct - newer Nicholson Guide and Birmingham City FC please take note 😉😂 (unless you wish to add Kings Norton tunnel as the alternative that is )

Wast Hill must be at least 15 foot wide like many long tunnels  , I presume  it’s intended to mean maximum beam but it ought to be maximum saggy working boat width? 

I'll be interested to see if they've improved the siting of the sign at the south end of Saltersford tunnel. For years it has been so far from the tunnel that people missed it and the timing instructions - I've lost count of the number of boaters who came through (or tried to) at the wrong time & when grumbled at seemed mystified. I told both BW and CRT about many years ago, but maybe in the excitement of all this new blue stuff...

On 21/07/2022 at 20:08, Rob-M said:

Sound your horn.

I’d go with horn required, similar to the lifejacket symbol meaning lifejacket required.

Sound your horn would be a horn with lines out of it, similar to the light symbol.

I think.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I’d go with horn required, similar to the lifejacket symbol meaning lifejacket required.

Sound your horn would be a horn with lines out of it, similar to the light symbol.

I think.

You mean like the ones sold for the purpose?

1369-horn

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

I think.

Lifejacket to be worn.

Horn to be sounded.

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't do ether

Neither do I, gives me a banging head.

19 hours ago, Jerra said:

You mean like the ones sold for the purpose?

1369-horn

Blow your own trumpet? We have some experts on here.

• Haha 1

There’s a  big blue sign at Wolverhampton.
Massive,

I’m sure folk on buses from above can see it.

And marvel at what lovely things the Canal and River Trust offer 

Water, Showers, toilets, somewhere to empty the loo. 
A welcome sight when leaving the flight or before you go down. 

Well, they’re out of order. 

And you’re locked out. 

But sign looks good

though don’t it 👍

• Sad 1

Didn't get a chance to take a picture but the sign on Coseley Tunnel had the words Sound Horn underneath the horn sign.  Not sure why you need to sound your horn as you can see straight through and it is a wide tunnel, I don't bother turning on my tunnel lamp as it is short as well.

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Didn't get a chance to take a picture but the sign on Coseley Tunnel had the words Sound Horn underneath the horn sign.  Not sure why you need to sound your horn as you can see straight through and it is a wide tunnel, I don't bother turning on my tunnel lamp as it is short as well.

Glad you do that too. 
If it’s a short tunnel I don’t bother either. I have to go to the front to turn me light on, so it’s more of a faff and a nuisance than a benefit. 

How did you find the weeds? I think it took me 4 maybe 5 hrs to get from Wolverhampton to the Black Country Museum. Slow going. 

But having said that, I did one weed hatch visit somewhere before the tunnel and that turned out to be the only visit down the hatch.

I picked up nothing coming down the Aston flight leaving Brum!!

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Glad you do that too. 
If it’s a short tunnel I don’t bother either. I have to go to the front to turn me light on, so it’s more of a faff and a nuisance than a benefit. 

How did you find the weeds? I think it took me 4 maybe 5 hrs to get from Wolverhampton to the Black Country Museum. Slow going. 

But having said that, I did one weed hatch visit somewhere before the tunnel and that turned out to be the only visit down the hatch.

I picked up nothing coming down the Aston flight leaving Brum!!

We did Brum to Black Country Museum yesterday in 4hrs, we went along the main line to Albion Junction and then up the Brades Staircase as I like to use those locks.  Another boat had cut quite a good channel so it wasn't too bad.  Had to just keep giving bursts or reverse to clear the weed.  This morning went across to Wolverhampton which was quite slow but again regular reverse was all that was needed, took about 3hrs, stopped for water in Broad Street and two boats got in the locks before us but we weren't really held up as although all crews of 2 we moved down the flight efficiently.  Now in Gailey.

• Happy 1