More signs

luggsy

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And why wouldn't you.

A lifejacket is not a sign of 'lack of manliness', more a sign of IQ. (to use a meme in another thread)

I may be wrong but suspect lifejackets on narrowboats on the canals are rarely seen being worn.

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I may be wrong but suspect lifejackets on narrowboats on the canals are rarely seen being worn.

On the Sea and on Rivers, the lifejacket is put-on before leaving the cabin.
On the canals they are in the wardrobe next to the grab bag. They do tend to come out in the Winter for working around icy locks.

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

On the Sea and on Rivers, the lifejacket is put-on before leaving the cabin.
On the canals they are in the wardrobe next to the grab bag. They do tend to come out in the Winter for working around icy locks.

I think what annoyed some people was your statement "A lifejacket is not a sign of 'lack of manliness', more a sign of IQ." without any qualifications -- which whether you meant it that way or not, was taken as implying that those who wear them (e.g. you) are more intelligent than those who don't (e.g. most people on the canals)...

Edited by IanD

Signs don't really bother me, I don't understand why it's such an ongoing issue for some of you? I guess we all have different things that exercise us but I can think of a lot of bigger issues involving people suffering to get angry about... Getting irritated by signs just seems a bit petty to me, but that's just one alternative opinion.

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's unnecessary waste of vital funds that could be used for essential repairs that is the irritating bit. Replacing signs for the sake of it, adding new signs that arent needed just because someone at CRT thinks it's funny.

Exactly this. The system is crumbling and their priority is getting new signs made in the new corporate colour scheme. 

It feels like the way they say when a company decorates the toilets and repaints the lines in the car park, it suggests they are about to go bust and gone past the point of no return. So the directors have little to do other than fiddle with trivia.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Exactly this. The system is crumbling and their priority is getting new signs made in the new corporate colour scheme. 

It feels like the way they say when a company decorates the toilets and repaints the lines in the car park, it suggests they are about to go bust and gone past the point of no return. So the directors have little to do other than fiddle with trivia.

The phrase that refers to deck chairs and Titanic come  to mind.

13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's unnecessary waste of vital funds that could be used for essential repairs that is the irritating bit. Replacing signs for the sake of it, adding new signs that arent needed just because someone at CRT thinks it's funny.

If CaRT do not take the public with them then the Government grant will not be renewed and then 'essential repairs' will be part of history. 'Managed decline' will be the best we could hope for.

A strong brand image that resonates with a large part of society is a very real need for ensuring the future.

• Greenie 3

9 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

If CaRT do not take the public with them then the Government grant will not be renewed and then 'essential repairs' will be part of history. 'Managed decline' will be the best we could hope for.

A strong brand image that resonates with a large part of society is a very real need for ensuring the future.

Exactly.  We have the begging bowl out to subsidise our way of life; the General Public need to know to whom and for what their tax pennies are required. 

22 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Which, much though many boaters seem to hate the idea, is pretty much exactly what Richard Parry said in his address to boaters...

36 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That still doesn't explain why they need duplicate signs at each end of Snarestone Tunnel. The information on those signs is intended for boaters, not the wider public.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

A strong brand image that resonates with a large part of society is a very real need for ensuring the fut

CRT's falsification of visitor KPIs  suggests that they have already failed in that respect ...

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Here are a few more 

SmallDSCF5832.jpg.492c300817b9e390271625397305bd3a.jpg

SmallDSCF5825.jpg.54a90037e9040311f4ad762928664bf7.jpg

SmallDSCF5824.jpg.51a9a0ef471bd23ca9b3725aa4f8c77a.jpg

SmallDSCF5833.jpg.89831773c98651a684600851387d3e65.jpg

In some cases it looks as if the extra sign has been placed there by Western Power in fulfilment of their perceived duty of care. Whether they sought a wayleave from CaRT is another matter . . . (and paid for it!)

8 hours ago, IanD said:

I think what annoyed some people was your statement "A lifejacket is not a sign of 'lack of manliness', more a sign of IQ." without any qualifications -- which whether you meant it that way or not, was taken as implying that those who wear them (e.g. you) are more intelligent than those who don't (e.g. most people on the canals)...

Who are these 'offended' people ?

Your selective word blindness is again showing.

Maybe go back and read the post to which I was replying - to help you, the subject was 'lifejacket use on Rivers'

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Does anyone boating care about fishy murderers electrocuting themselves? As long as the fall away from the canal, I don't.

Of course not, but bureaucrats love putting up signs at somebody else's expense, and will grab any opportunity to do so with relish.

49 minutes ago, matty40s said:

But is this an instruction, or warning??

A red sign is traditionally a warning or "don't do it" sign, whilst a yellow sign is generally an information sign, so I must conclude that its an instruction, or possibly just an invitation 😀

Forget signs, these are my new favourites.

You can tell they’re currently being repaired by the complete lack of anyone in the vicinity, unless its like those stripey BT tents with some really small workers underneath it. Perhaps it’s how the Diddymen found gainful employment after Ken Dodd pegged it, or even those tiny people from Mr Bentine’s Potty Time?

8B1A1ABC-9315-4F72-B7B8-1699F571A2CC.jpeg

Edited by Hudds Lad
autocarrot
  • Greenie 2