More signs

luggsy

Featured Posts

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The two signs are not identical, the one in the foreground has more information than the one in the background.

They look pretty similar to me, but not quite

DSCF5928 (2).JPG

DSCF5928 (3).JPG

Edited by ditchcrawler

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Were there two signs there then, I can only see one in your photo, Just wondering how new the second one is.

There were certainly 2 signs at the south end. If you zoom in on my first photo you can see the posts for the sign nearer the tunnel entrance, which just happens to be right behind the foreground sign.

Edited by David Mack

One thing i notice with these signs, if a complete novice turns up in a their newly purchased boat they have no idea if it’s a both ways at once or one way at once tunnel. 

Obviously you could work this out from the first sign as it carries dimension information, but what if you’re not carrying the hubble telescope on board? Information signs should be as simple and clear as possible and assume you know nothing.

• Greenie 2

I can't read both signs, one is too fuzzy, but what does the canoe sign mean, looks like they are encouraged or to be expected, do they have to carry tunnel lights? 

I think it totally dangerous to allow them at all. 

Do all users wear lifejackets? 

Does the boat which uses its horn first have right of way, that's certainly how I use mine, in the hope that anyone at the other end will not attempt to transit. 

I believe the tunnels round here are wide, but personally I don't want to meet anyone coming in the opposite direction. 

The one I came through that had lights, red or green, gave a very tight transit time IMHO. 

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I can't read both signs, one is too fuzzy, but what does the canoe sign mean, looks like they are encouraged or to be expected, do they have to carry tunnel lights? 

Canoes are permitted in shorter tunnels, including this one at Snarestone.

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Its a little icon of a canoeist wearing a headtorch, which is as close as they can get to a headlamp i suppose

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

but what does the canoe sign mean, looks like they are encouraged or to be expected, do they have to carry tunnel lights? 

All canoeists are required to wear lifejackets. (see the C&RT website canoeing page)

Following the Harecastle accident when the boater 'fell' off the back of the boat, I believe it became 'recommended' that life jackets should be worn by boaters when in tunnels.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Should lifejackets or buoyancy aids  be worn by skipper and crew when on  the move regardless of being in a tunnel and regardless of the type of vessel?

I am river based where, like wearing a seat belt in a car, a lifejacket is worn routinely (by most people).

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And why wouldn't you.

A lifejacket is not a sign of 'lack of manliness', more a sign of IQ. (to use a meme in another thread)

On a river a lifejacket is certainly a good idea, given the depth of moving water and the consequences of falling in, far more people drown in rivers than canals.

Whether boaters think it's generally worth it on the canals is a matter of personal preference, the risks are lower when you can generally stand up and walk out if you fall in (yes I know you could theoretically hit your head and drown, but this is not exactly common). If you look at the numbers the risks are probably highest in locks and tunnels but are still very low.

Nothing to do with manliness or IQ, just whether people want to put up with the small nuisance of wearing a lifejacket on a canal vs. the *extremely* small chance that it will save their life. People do far riskier things every day without extra safety precautions, for example going downstairs or up a ladder, boiling a kettle...

("excluding transport" means cars/bikes, which are pretty damn risky in comparison...)

ROSPA.png

Edited by IanD

5 hours ago, IanD said:

On a river a lifejacket is certainly a good idea, given the depth of moving water and the consequences of falling in, far more people drown in rivers than canals.

Whether boaters think it's generally worth it on the canals is a matter of personal preference, the risks are lower when you can generally stand up and walk out if you fall in (yes I know you could theoretically hit your head and drown, but this is not exactly common). If you look at the numbers the risks are probably highest in locks and tunnels but are still very low.

Nothing to do with manliness or IQ, just whether people want to put up with the small nuisance of wearing a lifejacket on a canal vs. the *extremely* small chance that it will save their life. People do far riskier things every day without extra safety precautions, for example going downstairs or up a ladder, boiling a kettle...

("excluding transport" means cars/bikes, which are pretty damn risky in comparison...)

ROSPA.png

The percentages don't match with the pie slice sizes! That could cause an accident.