University Challenge tonight

IanD

Featured Posts

Yes, yes I did!

However when I looked around the room for adoring recognition from my family, all I got was a round of indifference and: -

"You'd have been in deep trouble of losing all credibility if you hadn't known those!"

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I didnt watch, but were the answers Wellbeing, Cycling and Angling?

Nor me, but I was imagining "Making life wetter by water", "Widebeams not allowed unless transiting to Barby or Dunchurch Pools", and "Turning point MAX length 30ft" by any 70ft winding 'ole.

Hang on, I think I got the first one wrong!!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ianws said:

Not related to this specific episode but half of the contestants generally dont seem to have a clue about any landmark, town, city, river etc. anywhere north of Birmingham at best. 

Which river runs through Stockton-on-Tees?

10 hours ago, Neil2 said:

IIRC it was:

Which northern town gives its name to the canal which goes through Standedge tunnel?

On which canal is the Caen Hill flight of locks? 

Which waterway is crossed by the Barton swing aqueduct? 

I got all three wrong by instinctively answering Dr Johnson, The Great Barrier Reef, and General Relativity. 

The questions were even easier than those, as they gave more information.  For example the first one said which West Yorkshire town, narrowing it down considerably.

I imagine almost every forum member got 3 out of 3.  It really goes to show how little the general public know about the canal network in general.  This was a team of the brightest and best from Cambridge Uni.  And they really were knowledgable, racking up a big score, but knew next to nothing about inland waterways.  It's a sobering reminder of the uphill task CRT have in raising awareness and thereby funding.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Go back up that way with Dave if he's going oop Norf for the winter again.  You've got boat(s) that can get to the tunnel ...

I think ALL my boats will go through the Braunston tunnel 😁

On 24/08/2021 at 11:40, rasputin said:

And they couldn't identify mistletoe and foxglove from a picture

Yes even I got that picture of mistletoe. Couldn't believe they didn't know it 

On 24/08/2021 at 11:42, IanD said:

They got mistletoe eventually...

I didn't think they did?