LED Bulb Recommendations

Withywindle

Featured Posts

We're just in the process of buying our first boat and one of the things I want to do early on is upgrade to LED lighting.

The current lighting setup uses a large number of 12v 10w G4 halogen bulbs which I'm hoping I can simply swap for an LED equivalent (around 1.5w). Can someone who has similar lighting advise me on a reliable bulb to buy? I'm aware they will need a to be able to cope with the fluctuating voltage inherent in the 12v circuit.

The range of G4 bulbs available is mind boggling and general reliability is not always good reading reviews. Branded names don't necessarily seem to mean 'quality' either. I was looking with interest at Osram this morning until I read the reviews which were pretty dreadful.

Using the Bedazzled dimensions for the LED units either 'side pin', or'back pin', cut out a card the same dimensions and check it will fit into your fitting, for depth as well as diameter; the pins can be cropped to fit, provided the contact is adequate.

This is important, as I had some trouble deciding if the LED element would install correctly, before placing the order.

Also, these elements can be bright for a confined space, so consider the brightness @cool white or warm white? The galley looks ok with the cool white, but warm white may be better down the accommodation end.

Thanks this is good advice both.

I hadn't really considered that getting such a broad voltage range (10-30) was as important as it clearly is. I'd have probably just bought domestic 12v G4 bulbs and regretted it.

Bedazzled look good. I confess I was taken aback by their prices at first but then realised I was buying something rather more sophisticated than the standard spec. In fact they're pretty competitive on that basis.

As regards sizes, that's my next dilemma. Should I buy the 'tower' version or the round  'lollipop' shaped ones. The fittings need side pin bulbs so either should theoretically fit, they have no glass lens so I'm thinking the tower ones. On the other hand a boat we hired earlier this year used the other sort (I think) and they seemed excellent. Think I'll do as Tractor suggests and make myself some templates. Might also photo the fittings and send a picture to Bedazzled for their advice. 

I originally ordered cool white from bedazzled because I prefer "daylight" tones. They were very bright for the wattage but too intense for me. Replaced with warm white which are perfect. Very happy with the bulbs and a good energy saving over the old bulbs. The old bulbs weren't halogen just older generation led. 

12 hours ago, Richard T said:

Another supplier is Aten Lighting https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/boat-lighting

I've found them helpful in the past.

Thanks they look very good too - similar to bedazzled but a bit more competitive on postage etc. Shame neither firms give a discount for large orders. I didn't physically count the number of fittings on our boat but I recall there were quite a lot! Hopefully taking over the boat this weekend so will see.

9 minutes ago, Withywindle said:

Thanks they look very good too - similar to bedazzled but a bit more competitive on postage etc. Shame neither firms give a discount for large orders. I didn't physically count the number of fittings on our boat but I recall there were quite a lot! Hopefully taking over the boat this weekend so will see.

On a practical level, you don't have to replace them all at the same time. Probably those in the galley and wherever you spend a long time with the light on, like the sitting area and if you do a lot of reading in bed, the over bed reading lamps. The rest you can do as and when without a significant impact on battery discharge because they will only be on for an hour at most per day.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

http://Litecone.co.uk do 10-30V bulbs and are generally helpful.

Brilliant! These are the same spec and very competitively priced they're also only 20mins from our home marina so I can probably even collect them in person! They also have some 2.2w tower LED's on clearance at the moment for only £1.20 each down from £3.65. The wrong spec for me, too bright, but someone on the forum might be needing some?

Thanks for the recommendation. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. 

I purchased a test sample of three different bulbs from litecone in the end. All have so far performed without any faults and were good value. I’ll now be doing the whole boat but will leave the final choice of which particular bulb to my wife. Always the best approach I find 🤔😊

Thank you again everyone for the excellent advice, particularly onewheeler.