Walkie talkies

MtB

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, rasputin said:

On some radios there are several "sub channels"  so I am on channel 8 sub channel 22 , extremely unlikely to find anybody else on it given the range. when just using the 1-8 you often pick up other peoples conversations.

More info on frequencies at https://icomuk.co.uk/Changes-to-digital-PMR446-Frequency-Bands-in-2018/3996/135/

Edited by ditchcrawler
Better link

1 hour ago, MtB said:

The only legitimate use I've ever found for Mole grips is holding stuff together correctly when welding.....

Molegrips are good for extracting rusty pan head pozidrive screws once you've destroyed the head trying to use a screwdriver.

55 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Is that a case of "...not tearing from Point A to Point B...."? or is it a case of not wasting a lockful of water by turning it with an approaching boat?? I've been known to wait 10 minutes or more for an approaching boat to come into a lock rather than waste a lockful, I'm in no rush. If a queue was forming that would be a different matter, but if it is just me, then where is a problem in waiting?

Last September we were at Hurleston - there were boats queuing from both directions along the Shroppie. I was holding the boat, beyond the bridge so I couldn't see what was going on. My brother was on the locks helping people through. Getting updates on what was going on via walkie talkie was extremely helpful and saved him having to keep walking back down to me and the other boats queuing to tell us what was going on.

• Greenie 3

Haven't seen genuine Mole-brand grips for years: didn't they use to be made in Newport, South Wales?  I have an  American-made Vise-Grip and some unbranded ones. One pair has jaws with serrations terminated in smooth tips, the serrated  jaws of the other terminate  in a criss-cross pattern that will grip screw heads in any orientation. Also good for removing nails that have lost their heads from wood: attach grip and then use a claw hammer or wrecking bar against the grip's jaws. 

Recently, we came up Tardibigge, being followed by a hire boat. It had a crew of six, all late twenties or early thirties. They were odd! If you can imagine a group that went to uni together, into religion and celibate,  despite being of mixed gender, that was them!

Each had a harness, with a walkie talkie theirin.  They instructed each other incessantly regarding progress. It became somewhat tedious.

That said, we do have a pair. Infrequently used I admit, but useful when seeking a mooring round the next bend or negotiating the narrows on route into Llangollen. 

11 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

How do you find out what channel you are on? Mine is just numbered 1 - 8 unlike my Marine Channel radio.

What marine radio do you have ?

I don't think I have ever seen a 'legal' marine radio that does not have the channels numbered 1-88, M1 & M2.

Some 'pirate' (illegal) radios such as the Baofeng VHF can be programmed to accept RX & TX on both the PMR and Marine frequencies, (and the lifeboat and SAR land and sea frequencies - they are a useful radio for under £10) in which case you do get the 'frequency' displayed unless you rename it. If the coastgurad was to say to you "move to channel 73 and stand by my call" its a lot easier to have a radio with the channel numbers than have to look up a cross reference of frequency to channel and then 'dial it in'.

The only VHF radios I have used that actually use the 'frequency' are 'ham' radios & the aircraft band, where the tower (etc) will say "climb out to ............. and change to 130.4" (or whatever)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

16 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I find it irritating too, but I don't think it's irrational.

Say you're at a lock and someone rolls up with w/t saying don't fill the lock there's a boat heading this way... What are you supposed to do?  The boat must be some distance away but yet you feel it would be wrong to get on with your passage.  Before modern technology you would have just cracked on, assuming you can't see another boat approaching.  So you wait, it's probably the right thing to do, but it's still frustrating.  

In the context of the canals it just feels wrong to me, it's one of the many ways in which boaters risk destroying the aspects of waterway life that attracted them in the first place.  

The canals used to be one of the few environments where it was still ok to be a reactionary.

On certain canals you can ask them if they have yet passed the marker that claims the right to go ahead into the lock (DIS in some cases) Since most will not even know about it you can happily go ahead and turn the lock. Also, on a long straight approach, some folk seem to wildly underestimate the time it takes to get to the lock. On occasions we have turned the lock fully before a visible boat has arrived.

18 hours ago, rasputin said:

We use them a lot, Mrs Rass  is often inside while moving and we use them to communicate, I try not to use them when other people are in earshot, as our conversations are generally rude and colourful 

Snap. Also saves certain one or two fingered hand signals from the boss when I'm trying to explain things in a non patronising way from a distance!!!!

6 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Also, on a long straight approach, some folk seem to wildly underestimate the time it takes to get to the lock. On occasions we have turned the lock fully before a visible boat has arrived.

That is an argument I've had with a vollie! 

I reckoned I could turn the lock and be away before the boat in the distance arrived, but he disagreed and held the lock, playing the "water saving" card!

13 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Is that a case of "...not tearing from Point A to Point B...."? or is it a case of not wasting a lockful of water by turning it with an approaching boat?? I've been known to wait 10 minutes or more for an approaching boat to come into a lock rather than waste a lockful, I'm in no rush. If a queue was forming that would be a different matter, but if it is just me, then where is a problem in waiting?

I would venture the opinion it's more a case 'it's tech so must have' rather than real thought of saving water. Only those who use them can really say.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

On certain canals you can ask them if they have yet passed the marker that claims the right to go ahead into the lock (DIS in some cases) Since most will not even know about it you can happily go ahead and turn the lock. Also, on a long straight approach, some folk seem to wildly underestimate the time it takes to get to the lock. On occasions we have turned the lock fully before a visible boat has arrived.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

That is an argument I've had with a vollie! 

I reckoned I could turn the lock and be away before the boat in the distance arrived, but he disagreed and held the lock, playing the "water saving" card!

A classic case is the two lock flight at Hack Green on the Shropshire Union.  As it's in the middle of a long straight section you can see boats coming but they could be 20 minutes away.  The last time we came through there was a huge queue of boats coming down but one bright spark decided to wait for a boat heading south that was near enough a mile away.

Much prefer the walkie-talkie approach than crews hollering at the top of their voice at each other.

I boat single handed so it rarely affects me.  But I do have a pair of walkie talkies which I use if I have someone crewing for me.  It's actually just a pleasant and civil way to communicate while locking.  It's not necessary, but the occassional "there's a boat in the next lock, coming your way" is nice to know.  I might be out of sight and now I'll know to leave the gates open for them.  The other popular one while my crew is helping another boat and I'm waiting is "put the kettle on please".

The main problem with walkie talkies is forgetting to charge them.

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Equally I've had locks turned against me when they knew I was coming and I'm less than 2 minutes away.  Best not to get wound up about it either way.

16 hours ago, johnmck said:

Recently, we came up Tardibigge, being followed by a hire boat. It had a crew of six, all late twenties or early thirties. They were odd! If you can imagine a group that went to uni together, into religion and celibate,  despite being of mixed gender, that was them!

Each had a harness, with a walkie talkie theirin.  They instructed each other incessantly regarding progress. It became somewhat tedious.

That said, we do have a pair. Infrequently used I admit, but useful when seeking a mooring round the next bend or negotiating the narrows on route into Llangollen. 

Gave mine to the charity shop just before we came away

On 22/08/2021 at 16:26, rasputin said:

We use them a lot, Mrs Rass  is often inside while moving and we use them to communicate, I try not to use them when other people are in earshot, as our conversations are generally rude and colourful 

I bought a pair for this very purpose and things were fine until one day I called my wife ( who was inside alone ) and a stranger's voice said ''hello who is that?'' 

I found out later that it was Bonny, the lady who operates African Queen on the Thames with her husband Andy. 

That was years ago and the walkie-talkies have remained in the draw ever since. 😁

Keith

20 hours ago, MtB said:

I wouldn't use Mole Grips end on like that. I'd have them at ninety degrees and lock them on the screw head. Admittedly there's not always sufficient space to swing them but when you can you have massively more torque.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, MtB said:

The only legitimate use I've ever found for Mole grips is holding stuff together correctly when welding.....

Or holding a nut or bolt that someone else has already butchered. They are also useful for holding a nut on an alternator adjuster when you need one hand to tension the unit whilst using the other on a spanner to tighten it up sufficiently before replacing it with a spanner to complete the job.

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Equally I've had locks turned against me when they knew I was coming and I'm less than 2 minutes away.  Best not to get wound up about it either way.

Once when ascending the Bosley flight single handed I had the open bottom gates closed on me and top paddles drawn when my bows were about 10 feet away. "Sorry mate, didn't see you" isn't really an adequate explanation in such circumstances!

On 22/08/2021 at 16:50, Stilllearning said:

Most useful between Trevor and Llangollen I believe?

Or you could use your phone, no problem with reception there. Why buy walkie talkie instead, but I think I know the reason why some people would.!

7 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Much prefer the walkie-talkie approach than crews hollering at the top of their voice at each other.

I boat single handed so it rarely affects me.  But I do have a pair of walkie talkies which I use if I have someone crewing for me.  It's actually just a pleasant and civil way to communicate while locking.  It's not necessary, but the occassional "there's a boat in the next lock, coming your way" is nice to know.  I might be out of sight and now I'll know to leave the gates open for them.  The other popular one while my crew is helping another boat and I'm waiting is "put the kettle on please".

The main problem with walkie talkies is forgetting to charge them.

That is the other issue,because when standing on top of a throbbing diesel engine it is often difficult to hear what someone who is on the towpath alongside you is trying to say never mind someone who may want to tell you something at a lock. Holding the radio up to my ear I can at least hear what is being said with no need for anyone to shout.

As you say they are not necessary, but then what is? we can do without most things if we have to, I 'do without' a smartphone and a car and ultimately it is down to personal choice as to what you may want to use. I see people travelling along helming their boats whilst talking on their mobile, is that any different to someone else using a walkie-talkie? does it bother me? nah. I suppose as one gets older one finds more important things to worry about.

On the subject of turning locks, I once had Whitley Lock on the Aire and Calder turned against me by a cruiser as I was literally approaching it. Obviously they didn't want to share it with one of those nasty metal things that might bump them in the lock, except that the lock is 200 feet long and 25 feet wide!! What a waste of water that was:unsure:.

We have a pair of professional uhf radios. Useful on lock flights where the locks are reasonably far apart or round bends etc. Generally I will not leave a boat in a lock with no-one able to drop paddles in an emergency etc. But when sharing (most locks we do are wide) it's really helpful to be able to communicate with the helm when setting locks ahead etc.  As for using a mobile phone ... fumble in pocket, unlock phone, doesn't work because fingerprint sensor doesn't work through glove, tsje glove off  enter pin, open phone app find swmbo number start call wait 10 secs for ring tone 5 rings later get voice mail Ring again whilst swmbo finds phone .. but she is In bottom of lock and sounds like a dalek as signal is poor and can't hear me due to water from leaky gates on all the well maintained lock gates....

Versus pushing ptt button and speaking....

Let me think ......

So yep pretty irrational and silly frankly to think 2 way radios are not useful. 

Eta accepting that there will always be Numpties who will be irritating....

Edited by jonathanA

On 22/08/2021 at 20:36, Midnight said:

Mrs Midnight and I use two tin cans with string stretched between them. We find them a bit tricky unless on the Stratford where the lock bridges have a gap. You have to be very careful on lift bridges it's easy to get pulled into the canal, but they are cheap.

I like it🤣but have you considered using thin elastic rather than string

13 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

That is the other issue,because when standing on top of a throbbing diesel engine it is often difficult to hear

Which neatly encapsulates why boats with engines in engine rooms ten feet forward of the helm are SO much nicer to own and steer than horrid modern cruiser sterns, or even 'trads' with the engine still under yer feet.