Toilet Seat How much !!

christophert

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Jeez, 60 hours and all that effort to print each of the four Mini wheel arch extensions, all to avoid spending the £400 charged by the firm already making them!!! 

Makes the bog seat costing £44 seem cheap...

That was a one off though and the whole ethos of the build was obsessive, right now though if they wanted to print out thousands of the things they could.

Or in fact never make one again so no wasted molds or tooling 

Edited by tree monkey

1 hour ago, MtB said:

The only 3D printed items I've ever seen in real life have been like a very fragile aerated plastic rather like a packaging material. Can 3D printing produce items with some serious structural strength? I know next to nothing about them.

My friend builds model railway locomotives and sometimes has their body shells (for want of a better expression) 3D printed. I've handled a few, and I wouldn't call them "fragile". I suppose they could be made thicker, but the scale of the items makes this unnecessary.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Yes, they are printing all sorts of serious kit now.

A slightly silly but entertaining example, not structural but interesting 

The point is I suppose is once bought the printer can print anything within it's capabilities 

I wish they'd get their finger out and finish that car, they have been on with it ages now.

Back on topic.

Sometimes the Thetford re-fresh kits come up at a low offer price.

You could buy one and flog the cassette on eBay as new and unused and keep the loo seat.

Pre-plastic, toilet seats used to be made of wood, we had them in the Victorian house I grew up in. I remember reading in the papers that when the Pope visited Ireland, for the toilets they put up for the crowds, they had WC seats made of wood by the woodwork departments of local schools and technical.colleges. 

27 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I wish they'd get their finger out and finish that car, they have been on with it ages now.

Back on topic.

You could buy one and flog the cassette on eBay as new and unused and keep the loo seat.

Apparently they have...

Although during troubleshooting they discovered a few missing brackets 

52 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Brown would be better. 😂

😂😂

😂

52 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Back on topic.

I have considered that and may do so.  Cheers 🙂

7 minutes ago, christophert said:

I've found somewhere that sells them for £25 but currently out of stock. I'll call them Monday to see if and when they'll be having more in. 

Lol, they could be yanking your chain.

Tyre dealers do this especially. Quote ridiculously low when they don't have the size you want, so when you tell other dealers the price they need to beat, they can't.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The opposite of what I did when I needed a second cassette. Flogged the seat as my original was fine.

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

Lol, they could be yanking your chain.

Tyre dealers do this especially. Quote ridiculously low when they don't have the size you want, so when you tell other dealers the price they need to beat, they can't.

No, it's from a reputable chandler 👍

3 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I remember reading in the papers that when the Pope visited Ireland, for the toilets they put up for the crowds, they had WC seats made of wood by the woodwork departments of local schools and technical.colleges. 

Well that's a novelty for the CV then!

"I made a toilet seat for the Pope."

😃

15 hours ago, christophert said:

I wonder how they justify the price, as I can pop to B&Q and buy a good quality toilet seat for around £10 

So I had a look on B&Q's website. The cheapest toilet seat they sell is priced at £7, the next at £15 and from there they range up to £85. So the Thetford price doesn't look so unreasonable.

38 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Try buying a replacement Ideal Standard "Michelangelo" rectangular seat, you do need to sit down when you find the price.

Ah yes, a square bog for people with square arses, was the joke in the trade at the time. 

Probably Ideal Standard's biggest seller ever. You'd certainly arrived if you could afford a Michelangelo bog, they were nosebleed money. Even more expensive than the Thetford 200CS.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

So I had a look on B&Q's website. The cheapest toilet seat they sell is priced at £7, the next at £15 and from there they range up to £85. So the Thetford price doesn't look so unreasonable.

For a piece of flimsy Chinese plastic,  I disagree.

52 minutes ago, rasputin said:

only for 12 months apparently 

Apparently