Toilet Seat How much !!

christophert

Featured Posts

I have a Thetford 200CS and it's that time of year to replace the toilet seat. Does anyone know where I can get one at a reasonable price, as they seem expensive for what they are. I've even thought of using Rust-Oleum AE0030001E8 400ml Direct to Plastic Spray Paint - White at £9.49 from Amazon   https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001W03PPO/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza#:~:text=Rust-Oleum AE0030001E8,Brand%3A Rust-Oleum 

or try this link    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001W03PPO/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Has anyone used this and if so, did it do the job?

Cheers, folks

I see the 200CS is one of them flashy ones with the swivelling pan and cassette that slides in from round the back. Even needs an electricity supply. 

A quick google shows the seat and cassette kit costs £100, and seat alone is available for £44 from here:

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-toilet/thetford-cassette-toilets/dometic-smev-cu433-spare-parts/seat-and-cover-for-thetford-c200-cassette

What is the problem with the existing seat which means you are considering painting it? I would have thought that if it is damaged in any way it is effectively unrepairable, and so there is no alternative to replacement.

If it is just grubby then perhaps a good going over with the stuff they sell for cleaning upvc window frames would freshen it up.

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

I see the 200CS is one of them flashy ones with the swivelling pan and cassette that slides in from round the back. Even needs an electricity supply. 

A quick google shows the seat and cassette kit costs £100, and seat alone is available for £44 from here:

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-toilet/thetford-cassette-toilets/dometic-smev-cu433-spare-parts/seat-and-cover-for-thetford-c200-cassette

I wonder how they justify the price, as I can pop to B&Q and buy a good quality toilet seat for around £10 

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

What is the problem with the existing seat which means you are considering painting it? I would have thought that if it is damaged in any way it is effectively unrepairable, and so there is no alternative to replacement.

If it is just grubby then perhaps a good going over with the stuff they sell for cleaning upvc window frames would freshen it up.

It has started to look grubby and no amount of cleaning will bring it up nice. It's also starting to bubble in places. Using the spray, I can, using a fine wet and dry to smooth it off hopfully give it a new lease of life.  At the end of the day, it's a piece of plastic and they're asking far too much for a replacement. 

19 minutes ago, christophert said:

I wonder how they justify the price, as I can pop to B&Q and buy a good quality toilet seat for around £10 

They don't need to justify it, they can charge whjat they like in a free market economy. Just as you don't have to justify deciding to paint yours instead of paying £44 for a new one.

But by way of explanation, I'd suggest the ten quid ones in B&Q are that cheap because of the economy of scale. House bog seats are very 'standard'. They probably make them in batches of about a million in China by workers on £1 a day, while the 200CS seats are probably made 500 at a time in Thetford, by workers on £28k a year with a pension.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, christophert said:

It has started to look grubby and no amount of cleaning will bring it up nice. It's also starting to bubble in places. Using the spray, I can.......

....aim a bit more carefully and it will last much longer.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

They don't need to justify it, they can charge whjat they like in a free market economy. Just as you don't have to justify deciding to paint yours instead of paying £44 for a new one.

But by way of explanation, I'd suggest the ten quid ones in B&Q are that cheap because of the economy of scale. House bog seats are very 'standard'. They probably make them in batches of about a million in China by workers on £1 a day, while the 200CS seats are probably made 500 at a time in Thetford, by workers on £28k a year with a pension.

It's still a rip off regardless.  Not only B&Q but almost anywhere. There's not enough competition when it comes to narrowboat accessories so they put the prices up because they can. Also Thetfords are made in China.

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And that is why it costs more. B&Q and other outlets sell hundreds of standard sized seats every year.

It's still a cheap piece of plastic. Not worth the money.  Made in China.

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

....aim a bit more carefully and it will last much longer.

😄 Okay, I'll try my best

3 minutes ago, christophert said:

It's still a rip off regardless.  Not only B&Q but almost anywhere. There's not enough competition when it comes to narrowboat accessories so they put the prices up because they can. Also Thetfords are made in China.

😄 Okay, I'll try my best

They cleverly trade on the implication that they are made or have something to do with Thetford in the UK. They are/have niether. They are actually a US company.

9 minutes ago, christophert said:

Don't buy it then. 

If everyone agrees with you, no-one will buy them, production will stop and they will cease to be available. That'll show them, them greedy Chinese! 

Just now, christophert said:

Great idea. I won't buy one, I'll make one out of an old bean can I have which I was going to use to make a carburettor for my uncle's second removed cousin's aunt.

You could sell them for ten quid each...

8 hours ago, christophert said:

Great idea. I won't buy one, I'll make one out of an old bean can I have which I was going to use to make a carburettor for my uncle's second removed cousin's aunt.

You could buy a £10 b&q toilet seat plus a plastic bucket and make a compositing toilet. It’s the future apparently. Sell for £20. Hey I think I’m on to something here.😁😁😁