Morso stove flu

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi does anyone have a recommendation regarding, someone to replace my Morso squirrel flu, it appears to be rusted out from where it attaches over the collar just above the stove. I would like it professionally refitted before October, am currently in Macclesfield about to cruise the caldron and four counties. Thanks.

Is it a straight flue  or cranked to follow the cabin side?

If it is straight it is a simple DIY job.  Midland Chandlers sell the pipe, or did

You can also get it cheaper from a steel stockists.  113 mm diameter rolled steel tube. Aka RHS.

If it is cranked, talk to a local steel fabricator.  Give them  the old flue and they will make one to match.

Meanwhile clean out the top and bottom collars.

When you refit, pack the collar with fire rope and then Envirograf high temp sealant.  Top and bottom.  Dont  use fire cement.

• Happy 1

7 hours ago, Timx said:

Thanks, but they looked closed when I passed them a few weeks ago.

If you check their website the chandelry is having an upgrade so they have temp moved into the stove shop. This would explain what you saw

4 hours ago, BEngo said:

If it is straight it is a simple DIY job.  Midland Chandlers sell the pipe, or did…..

I found it fairly straightforward, but can imagine many would not. Got my pipe from Midland Chandlers.

4 hours ago, BEngo said:

If it is cranked, talk to a local steel fabricator.  Give them  the old flue and they will make one to match…..

Easier said than done, in my experience. I’ve tried this kind of thing a few times, to be told they would try and fit it in. In each case, without exception, a week or so later the job hadn’t been done, so I found a way to DIY.

4 hours ago, BEngo said:

Meanwhile clean out the top and bottom collars.

When you refit, pack the collar with fire rope and then Envirograf high temp sealant.  Top and bottom.  Dont  use fire cement.

Leave Envirograf a few days to cure and, when you first light the fire after sealing, open all windows and doors and be ready to vacate the boat immediately for an hour or so…. It smokes like mad!!

On 22/08/2021 at 13:46, captain birdseye said:

Try the guys at Bollington Wharf. They made me a new flue a couple of years ago. Did a great job

Tried, but they don’t do any services according to girl on phone today. 

On 22/08/2021 at 14:33, jonathanA said:

If it's a straight flue King's lock stock them. They do boast if they sell it they can fit it.....

Thanks, I have till it gets cold to sort it, but will ring them.

16 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Bollington has changed hands in the last 5 years or so.

If you can, go stainless.

Steel flue does not last well with these smokeless fuels somehow.

Sounds sensible, but will take best possible option at the time, it’s difficult to be in right place at right time, without having to wait around too long.

I went to bollington as earlier recommendation, as I was near, but although , I was disappointed, there was a boat who fix all cratch covers etc, so got a new window panel in Pram cover, a patch on  corner rip in cratch cover, a couple of other patches, and a fixing replacement fitted, so not all bad. If I can’t find anything before, I will try kings lock, unless any other possible mobile recommendations.

EC9B4DBE-926F-4AC0-ACA3-33AECE1C0D31.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Make a template, from thin ply. Finding someone to weld a flue for me took a while. So long in fact, I had two made. Hope to get about five years out of each. 

Cheers, but I don’t want todo it myself, I want to pay someone to do it for me.

• Greenie 1

• 2 months later...

Re visiting this topic, couldn’t find anyone to replace flu, three places looked at it, said they would sort it, but then refused after keeping me wait around, Nantwich I was waiting three weeks, and eventually just said he wasn’t going to do job. Overwater, work shop ,wouldn’t commit and messed me around for two weeks, made promises but let me down. So I got a steel band, wrapped it around rusted outer skin( inner skin was intact) then attached two jubilee clips above and below, put heat resistant silicon, over the hole first, and over the out side top and bottom. Painted it black heat resistant paint, and now got it burning away, just keeping an eye on it now. Will try and put b4 and after pic up. Cost me £100. The Morso flu kit I was going to get was about £650, and if I had used those marinas would of been a few ton on top of that, so fingers crossed it works.

4E9E0799-0DEB-4C43-91CC-37EBEE33985A.jpeg

A6015758-AD31-4F35-A3D1-4B14CE258B7C.jpeg

C6282ED3-CEB8-4522-8592-C7AEF5CEC7F6.jpeg

On 22/08/2021 at 13:20, Richard10002 said:

I found it fairly straightforward, but can imagine many would not. Got my pipe from Midland Chandlers.

Easier said than done, in my experience. I’ve tried this kind of thing a few times, to be told they would try and fit it in. In each case, without exception, a week or so later the job hadn’t been done, so I found a way to DIY.

Leave Envirograf a few days to cure and, when you first light the fire after sealing, open all windows and doors and be ready to vacate the boat immediately for an hour or so…. It smokes like mad!!

That's because it's not meant to be used in such direct proximity to the fire. That's why as stated, it smokes toxic fumes if you do.  

1 hour ago, Timx said:

Re visiting this topic, couldn’t find anyone to replace flu, three places looked at it, said they would sort it, but then refused after keeping me wait around, Nantwich I was waiting three weeks, and eventually just said he wasn’t going to do job. Overwater, work shop ,wouldn’t commit and messed me around for two weeks, made promises but let me down. So I got a steel band, wrapped it around rusted outer skin( inner skin was intact) then attached two jubilee clips above and below, put heat resistant silicon, over the hole first, and over the out side top and bottom. Painted it black heat resistant paint, and now got it burning away, just keeping an eye on it now. Will try and put b4 and after pic up. Cost me £100. The Morso flu kit I was going to get was about £650, and if I had used those marinas would of been a few ton on top of that, so fingers crossed it works.

4E9E0799-0DEB-4C43-91CC-37EBEE33985A.jpeg

A6015758-AD31-4F35-A3D1-4B14CE258B7C.jpeg

C6282ED3-CEB8-4522-8592-C7AEF5CEC7F6.jpeg

Putting bubble foil behind the stove is pure burn your boat out territory. 

I put it up two years ago after the walls seemed to be getting too warm, why do you think I should take it down now, behind and around the fire it is on top of tiled fire board, to reflect heat. Above the boards, has the same effect, why is it dangerous?

14 hours ago, Timx said:

I put it up two years ago after the walls seemed to be getting too warm, why do you think I should take it down now, behind and around the fire it is on top of tiled fire board, to reflect heat. Above the boards, has the same effect, why is it dangerous?

Because it's flammable.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are absolutely correct - it does not, but neither does it have a list of any other flammable products that you should not surround your stove with.

And does it have a list of what you can surround your stove with