Outboard not starting. Any ideas?

Featured Posts

I use aspen in my best stihl machines and it does not go off, gum up carbs or rot primer bulbs/ fuel pipes... BUT it is expensive. Its also much nicer if you get a face full of fumes from the machines exhaust. I tend to use it in my hedge trimmer for precisely that reason.

1 hour ago, ronnietucker said:

I usually just turn the key to shut it down.

Should I pull out the fuel line to run it dry?

If it’s not going to be used for a day or two, I would. Mind you, the lawnmower usually starts after winter on the fourth or fifth pull. On the other other hand, the old one needed all sorts of stuff doing before being persuaded to fire up. (Blow lamp on the plugs usually did the trick!)

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I use my outboard rarely

I always stop the engine prior to putting it into storage  by turning off the fuel tap.

I also have found its starts easier and runs better on premium fuel. 

But it is quite old - made in 1966

You can get fuel additives or if your fuel use is very low,  special synthetic Aspen fuel . Can't say I have used Aspen but I may give it a go . 

https://aspenfuel.co.uk/

Petrol does go off a lot quicker than in the past . I find last years petrol in the outboard or lawnmower or left over winter in a jerry can  has lost some of its potency . 

Thanks for the advice.

I've got the good super unleaded petrol through it just now. 

The Sea Foam that I mentioned is a kinda cleaner and petrol stabiliser in one. So we'll see how that goes.

Hopefully, I'll be using the outboard a bit more often now. Previously it was left sitting for a while at a time between uses.

We got some Aspen when we bought a new mower a couple of years ago. Expensive doesn't really cover it. £18 for 4 litres!!!!

Needless to say a little goes in the tank at the start of the grass cutting year then standard unleaded. Sadly I need to refill the petrol can this week so maybe I'll just buy a couple of litres to save wasting too much when it goes off over the winter.